File Format Conversion software: STL, Patran or Ideas UNV into parasolid or ascis

File Format Conversion software: STL, Patran or Ideas UNV into parasolid or ascis

Post by Patrick J. Wals » Sun, 02 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I am looking for software that can read and convert any of the following
formats into a "neutral" solids format: STL, Patran mesh and Ideas UNV.
Solidworks will not read any of these formats, but will read parasolids
or ascis.  Is a low cost package available to do this conversion?

thanks in advance,

Patrick Walsh

File Format Conversion software: STL, Patran or Ideas UNV into parasolid or ascis

Post by BDESHAW » Mon, 03 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Autodesk has come out with a new translator that they are trying to call
the new "standard" in translators.  It's called STEP.  You'll probably be
able to find out more about it at http://www.autodesk.com.

--
Bill DeShawn

Quote:> I am looking for software that can read and convert any of the following
> formats into a "neutral" solids format: STL, Patran mesh and Ideas UNV.
> Solidworks will not read any of these formats, but will read parasolids
> or ascis.  Is a low cost package available to do this conversion?

> thanks in advance,

> Patrick Walsh

File Format Conversion software: STL, Patran or Ideas UNV into parasolid or ascis

Post by D. Shor » Mon, 03 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Bill....

I'm not sure where you've gotten the idea that Autodesk has come out with the
STEP interface... possibly you've been using AutoCAD for too long.  ;-)

STEP (Standard for the Exchange of Product model data) has and is actually
being developed by a consortium of major Automotive, Aerospace, and high-end
CAD/CAM/CAE vendors (surely not Autodesk) called PDES Inc.

For your information, you can read more about STEP and PDES Inc. here:

http://pdesinc.scra.org/index.html

--
David Short

Post by Hans-Willi Raed » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I am looking for software that can read and convert any of the following
> formats into a "neutral" solids format: STL, Patran mesh and Ideas UNV.
> Solidworks will not read any of these formats, but will read parasolids
> or ascis.  Is a low cost package available to do this conversion?

> thanks in advance,

> Patrick Walsh

have a look at

http://www.entsoft.com/

and their product called FEMAP. I think they offer what you are looking
for.

Regards

Hans-Willi Raedt

--

Dipl.-Ing. H.-W. Raedt
Werkzeugmaschinenlabor der RWTH-Aachen

Tel.  : +49 (0) 241 80   -7428
FAX   : +49 (0) 241 8888 -293

Post by Larry Cul » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> I am looking for software that can read and convert any of the following
> formats into a "neutral" solids format: STL, Patran mesh and Ideas UNV.
> Solidworks will not read any of these formats, but will read parasolids
> or ascis.  Is a low cost package available to do this conversion?

> thanks in advance,

> Patrick Walsh

It sounds like the data you have is what I will refer to as "faceted"
data.  An
STL file is just point data with 3 point sets telling how to create
triangles by
connecting the points.  The PNF (Patran Neutral File) may contain geometry
data but usually only contains the Patran packets for FEA data.  Since you
lumped it with STL , I can only assume it contains 2D Quad or Tri element
data.
I have no idea what a IDEAS UNV is....

The problem you have is that any solids "neutral" format wants B-surf type
data.
BTW, STEP is the only accepted "neutral" solids format.  ParaSolid and
ASCIS
are solid modeling engines used by CAD/CAM/CAE apps.  Their format is
really
proprietary and not a neutral format.

I have a program (Unigraphics GRIP) that will take an StL file or PNF file
and
create Unigraphics CAD geometry.   This can be output from Unigraphics
to parasolid.   The only problems is that each STL facet or PNF element is
converted to a bounded plane - not B-surfaces like you would get using
STEP or IGES.  The result is data explosion.  It creates a bunch of little
planar pieces of geometry.  This can be exported to ParaSolid.

What is strange about your request is that you are trying to swim upstream.

Most CAD/CAM/CAE applications start with parametric B-surface data that
gets "simplified" into quads or tris in an STL or FEA preprocessor.   What
you want is the opposite.  Unfortunately it may be impossible to find
software
that can construct some b-surface free form data from a bunch of planar
facets.

If you have an STL file that you want to convert to parasolid,
EDS Unigraphics
offers a service that will do this for a fee.  They will follow the exact
procedure
I explained and your parasolid data will consist of a bunch of flat bounded
planes.
If this is what you want, try www.ugsolutions.com and select SERVICES to
find
data conversion services.   Or you can call 1-800-955-0000 and listen to
the recording for the option for DATA EXCHANGE SERVICES.

Hope it helps!

Post by Paul Salvado » Wed, 05 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> Number 1.....STEP IS the new standard in Translators.

> Number 2.....Autodesk has come out with a "NEW" translator????

> Excuse me, but SolidWorks first put the STEP translator in with version
> 97/243....ALMOST 1 YEAR AGO!!!!!!!!!!  I suggest they look for more
> experienced information on STEP....www.theorem.co.uk

What is very unfortunate is, MDT users have to pay for the STEP
translator.

MicroStation, SolidWorks, Helix, IronCad(Trispectives), Cadkey....all
have a STEP translator included.

File Format Conversion software: STL, Patran or Ideas UNV into parasolid or ascis

Post by Bruce K. Treffing » Thu, 06 Aug 1998 04:00:00

STEP is an ISO standard and has been around for several years.  It has nothing to do w/ Autodesk, although vendors have a say in that they can submit their own versions of how they think the Application Protocols (APs) should look.  It is supposed to be the 90's answer to IGES.  It is intended to eventually define the complete product and process.  How good a STEP translator is depends on which APs are supported and to what level.  I don't think some of the APs required for sophisticated product definition
 transfers have even been published yet.  Maybe someday it will support transfers of parametric solids, drawings, and non-geometric data between pacakages like, say, Pro/E and CATIA.

Maybe someone can post a url for good info on STEP?

---
Bruce Treffinger
The Boeing Company
Information, Space & Defense Systems Group
1800 Satellite Blvd.  Duluth GA, 30097-4099

File Format Conversion software: STL, Patran or Ideas UNV into parasolid or ascis

Post by Paul Salvado » Thu, 06 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> Maybe someone can post a url for good info on STEP?

http://pdesinc.scra.org/

1. VRML->STL and STL->VRML: STLpack(1.2) software

This is an announcement to the STL format users' community of a program,
STLpack(TM) Version 1.2, available as shareware.

Just like it's predecessor STLpack (1.0), STLpack (1.2) is a Windows 95
and NT utility for transferring files of STL (3D Graphics) format into
a new compressed PSL (Packed STL) format for storage. It can also span
disks if the user's packed file is too big to fit on one diskette. But,
it can not only save an STL file in a VRML (WRL) format, but moreover,
it extracts 3D solid object information from a VRML file and lets the
user save it as an STL file.

Based on initial tests, STLpack compresses most STL files to
approximately a sixth or seventh of it's STL format size. This is about
two to four times better than the more general, widely available file
compression utilities. Moreover, because STLpack seamlessly spans disks,
one can use it as an all inclusive easy to use utility for STL file
storage and transfer.

Because STLpack is able to create a VRML file from an STL file, the user
can view these files with any one of many VRML viewers, many of which
are free. Such as the plug-ins available for the latest versions of
Netscape and the Internet Explorer.

Moreover, the user can take a VRML file with any solid object and
extract that object into an STL file. Though, the user should be aware
that if the VRML file contains an imperfect solid object, the resulting
object in the STL format will not be perfect.

To get STLpack (1.2), go to
http://www.winsite.com/info/pc/win95/misc/stlpackd.exe or download
stlpackd.exe via anonymous ftp from ftp.winsite.com/pub/pc/win95/misc.

Of course, the registered user's do not need to do anything and will
receive the new version free of charge.

Slava

2. Outlook Web Access - Exchange 5.5

3. 3D CAD Viewer: Pro/E 2000i, CATIA, IGES, DWG, SolidWorks, MDT, Parasolid, STL, ...

4. Frequency control using a PLL

5. 3D CAD/CAM Viewer: Pro/E (new), SolidWorks, CATIA, IGES, DWG, MDT, Parasolid, STL, ...

6. Read Labview 's Waveform files

7. STL File Format

8. Error Message when install Pocket PC 2002 Beta SDK on winNT

9. Trying to export stl file format.

10. 3D CAD Viewer: Pro/E 2000i, UG, CATIA, IGES, DWG, SolidWorks, MDT, Parasolid, STL, ...

11. 3D CAD Viewer: Pro/E 2000i, CATIA, IGES, DWG, SolidWorks, MDT, Parasolid, STL, ...

12. 3D CAD Viewer: Pro/E 2000i, UG, CATIA, IGES, DWG, SolidWorks, MDT, Parasolid, STL, ...