dxf export, level disappearance??

Post by Damian Shipto » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 07:21:01

Microstation J dxf file export:
When I export either a whole dgn or a part of the dgn as a dxf
any line, arc, text etc which is on level 2 they are not exported!! but
everything else is.
As a result I have to change levels and export then modify the exported
file,
which is messy and time consuming, and frustrating to say the least.
I have tried exporting as different versions of autocad version, to no avail
re-installing microstation, to no avail, checking all dialogue boxes whilst
in the export
process all to no success.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments which could help me please?

many thanks

Damian.

dxf export, level disappearance??

Post by Dave Presto » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 16:32:52

I'm sorry if some of these seem obvious, but we all miss them sometimes :-

1. Have you checked that the layers are not off / frozen in the AutoCad
file.
2. Try to 'recover' the AutoCad file.
3. Is the dgn file corrupt ?. Try running it through EDG.
4. Are you sure the level is not named '2', instead of level number 2.
(Still wouldn't explain it not translating).
5 Could the level 2 elements be in a reference file, and not being merged.
6. Is it specific element types. If lines do not get translated, then there
is a problem.
7. Is it elements in cells ?. Try using the option to drop cells.
8. Level 2 mapped to black i.e. there, but not visible.
9. If you have access to more than 1 seat of MicroStation and AutoCad, have
you tried on more than 1.

That's all I can think of for now. If you still have a problem, e-mail me
the file.
--
Regards
Dave Preston.

www  : www.cadesign.demon.co.uk

Quote:> Microstation J dxf file export:

Post by CADDCO » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 04:09:24

> I'm sorry if some of these seem obvious, but we all miss them
sometimes :-

> 1. Have you checked that the layers are not off / frozen in the
AutoCad
> file.
> 2. Try to 'recover' the AutoCad file.
> 3. Is the dgn file corrupt ?. Try running it through EDG.
> 4. Are you sure the level is not named '2', instead of level number 2.
> (Still wouldn't explain it not translating).
> 5 Could the level 2 elements be in a reference file, and not being
merged.
> 6. Is it specific element types. If lines do not get translated, then
there
> is a problem.
> 7. Is it elements in cells ?. Try using the option to drop cells.
> 8. Level 2 mapped to black i.e. there, but not visible.
> 9. If you have access to more than 1 seat of MicroStation and
AutoCad, have
> you tried on more than 1.

> That's all I can think of for now. If you still have a problem, e-
mail me
> the file.
> --
> Regards
> Dave Preston.
> Software Development Engineer
> C.A.Design Services Ltd

> www  : www.cadesign.demon.co.uk

> > Microstation J dxf file export:
> > When I export either a whole dgn or a part of the dgn as a dxf
> > any line, arc, text etc which is on level 2 they are not exported!!
but
> > everything else is.
> > As a result I have to change levels and export then modify the
exported
> > file,
> > which is messy and time consuming, and frustrating to say the least.
> > I have tried exporting as different versions of autocad version, to
no
> avail
> > re-installing microstation, to no avail, checking all dialogue boxes
> whilst
> > in the export
> > process all to no success.

> > Does anyone have any suggestions or comments which could help me
please?

> > many thanks

> > Damian.

I believe you can specify a view as the source of the export. If you
have a view specified and level 2 is off in the view, that could cause
it also.
--
Chuck Rheault (c_rheault[at]gpinet[dot]com)
Greenman-Pedersen, Inc.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

dxf export, level disappearance??

Post by Dave Presto » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 06:02:38

That's one that I missed Chuck. That's the problem with this game. There are
so many options, it's hard to remember them all, even when you've been in it
for years. Or should that be in spite of.