PT Modeler vs. SDRC Artisan vs. Solidworks vs. Solid Edge

PT Modeler vs. SDRC Artisan vs. Solidworks vs. Solid Edge

Post by james wad » Fri, 13 Jun 1997 04:00:00

My company is considering between PT modeler , SDRC's Artisan, solidWorks,
and Solid Edge.  If anyone has any helpful insight about the decision it
would be greatly appreciated.  We are particularly concerned about the
software's robustness and integrity of output files.  Ease of use is
important as well as advanced surfacing capabilities.

PT Modeler vs. SDRC Artisan vs. Solidworks vs. Solid Edge

Post by Sch » Sat, 14 Jun 1997 04:00:00

SolidWorks is spelled with a capital 'S' and capital 'W' :

                SolidWorks

Pls spelled and typed this word correctly.

Thank you

Regards
Albert Seah
A proud user of SolidWorks software

PT Modeler vs. SDRC Artisan vs. Solidworks vs. Solid Edge

Post by Matt » Sat, 14 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> SolidWorks is spelled with a capital 'S' and capital 'W' :

>            SolidWorks

> Pls spelled and typed this word correctly.

If you learned how to spell and type I think that your message would be
comprehensible.

Most users of Pro/E (keep in mind the name of the newsgroup) can take pity
on those
poor uneducated souls who, even as "proud" users of other cad software,
have to read the
Pro/E postings to keep up with the industry.  All that happens in instances
like this:  we just learn
that other users are jealous and defensive.

Ha!  Software Envy!
A dedicated Pro fan.

PT Modeler vs. SDRC Artisan vs. Solidworks vs. Solid Edge

Post by Steve Masse » Sun, 15 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>            SolidWorks

> Pls spelled and typed this word correctly.

> Thank you

> Regards
> Albert Seah
> A proud user of SolidWorks software

What a weenie...

PT Modeler vs. SDRC Artisan vs. Solidworks vs. Solid Edge

Post by Sch » Mon, 16 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Yes, I read news about the CAD/CAM industry to keep in touch with the
industry development. I used SolidWorks software and read about Pro/E,
SDRC, Solid Designer etc.

Every software have their pros and cons. I did not mention anything
about SolidWorks vs Pro/E. What I did is just to hightlight to you that
SolidWorks is spell this way because you only read Pro/E newsgroup and
not others.

People who only read news about the software they use are ignorant and
self-centred. It's time you read about news other than that of the Pro/E
else you will be left behind. Remember the Hare and the Tortise story.

Do you know what is the m*behind this story ?

Regards
Albert Seah
A SolidWorks software user

PT Modeler vs. SDRC Artisan vs. Solidworks vs. Solid Edge

Post by Richard Wagenaa » Mon, 16 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I think it is not really important to discuss what is better in
Solidworks or SDRC or PTC. They indeed all have pros and cons.

They are all parametric and/or variational, feature and
historical based.

This technology is designed more than 10 years ago by PTC.
I think PTC is still miles ahead in this functionality.
Those parametric feature and historical based programs
perform very well if you already know what to design.
Right at the start you need to think about design intents
and translate these in mathematic relations in your model.
I think this is not really flexible

There are some other (even older) technologies which make designing much
more flexible than working in this parametric feature historical way.

For example CATIA, Hicad(German) and Soliddesigner.
They also have pros and cons but these programs allow
you to design more flexible and "add" the design intent
when you finally know how the design would look like.
Some allow you to make the assembly just by grouping
and selecting parts. Parts can be moved to another assembly simply by
removing and adding to another subassembly with 4 mouseclick without
worrying about assembly relations (which still stay exist).
I think this flexible assembly design.

I think that it would be great if CAD programs allows you
to work more flexible and add design intents when you
really need them.

I sometimes ask myself whether this parametric feature historical based
technology which is designed more than 10 years ago will
never be completely revised to allow a more flexible way to design.
Though you can't tell that B-Rep which is used by Soliddesigner is
revolutionair but for the design of Plotter/printes they do
a great job and I just heared a large company choose 93 seats of this
HP Soliddesigner after two years of testing together with Pro/E.

HP Soliddesigner is not historical based and does not allow to
parametrize the part you design but they just have added 3D relations
for parts in an assembly recently.

If they are able to parametrize the parts after designing it this would
really allow you to take advantage of every technic and I think
this could be one of the best ways to design.

However, their strategy currently is not to use parameters for parts
design  which I don't think is good. However, when they change
this...???

I am not using HP-Soliddesigner and I am not telling that the one
I use is better. I just mentioned this as an example to visualize
the idea.

I did not find the theoretical perfect program allowing to
design flexible/user friendly and add the design intent once when you
finished the design. I think Pro/E is still the best but it does
not really allow flexible design.

I just wonder how design programs will look like about 5 years.

I recently red an article about some marketing analysts at PTC who
were considering modern flexible design Cad programs as one of the most
competitive dangers for PTC.

I wonder if Pro/E will ever be completely revised to allow
a better way to make designing more flexible and therefore faster.

Any comment would be appreciated.

Richard

Post by CADCAMMi » Tue, 17 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>Yes, I read news about the CAD/CAM industry to keep in touch with the
>industry development. I used SolidWorks software and read about Pro/E,
>SDRC, Solid Designer etc.

>Every software have their pros and cons. I did not mention anything
>about SolidWorks vs Pro/E. What I did is just to hightlight to you that
>SolidWorks is spell this way because you only read Pro/E newsgroup and
>not others.

>People who only read news about the software they use are ignorant and
>self-centred. It's time you read about news other than that of the Pro/E
>else you will be left behind. Remember the Hare and the Tortise story.

>Do you know what is the m*behind this story ?

>Regards
>Albert Seah

Does this discussion have any value? Why are you consuming bandwidth with
such petty things as the spelling of SolidWorks? If people want to read
about SolidWorks, they can do so by subscribing to their newsgroup. The
people in the PTC newsgroup are not self-centered (well, maybe a couple
are). The newsgroup is not intended to be a cheering section for PTC
(though that does happen on occasion when provoked) - it's purpose is to
provide a "users helping users" environment, for users of PTC products.

Certainly you have better things to do with your time (spelling words,
perhaps).

Mike

A proud competitor of both PTC and SW

PT Modeler vs. SDRC Artisan vs. Solidworks vs. Solid Edge

Post by Sch » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Thank you for taking some bandwidth on this newsgroup...

you too have nothing better to do than to reply this message.

The original message is FYI only.

Regards

Albert Seah

1. PT Modeller vs. SolidWorks vs. Solid Edge

I really have a hard time believing in the validity of the Technicomm
"Mid-Range Benchmark Report". I have only seen a demonstration of Solid
Edge (V1).

I can't see Solid Edge even being in the same league as SolidWorks or
PT Products.

Although Pro-Engineer (with many modules added) is more functional than
SolidWorks, Pro Jr, or PT Modeller as they call it now due to a
marketing bungle, is not even close to SolidWorks functionality-wise.
Yes, PT Modeller does trace it's heritage back to a high end system, but
if they want to say that, why don't they mention that SolidWorks runs on
the EDS Parasolid kernel, which is what Unigraphics uses as it's
modeling kernel. Or do they not beleive that UG is a high end system?

Also there is the ease of use issue:
Since PT Modeller has been ported down from the UNIX platform, it has
taken the UNIX menus and complex interface with it. On this issue, I
would think that even Solid Edge blows PT Modeller out of the water.

SolidWorks supports lofts of non-planar cross sections, cavity features,
completely or incompletely constrained sketches, sweeps along planar and
complex curves, top-down and bottom-up assembly modelling, and a long
list of many other features that the other two packages do not have. Try
starting a new component from scratch in an assembly in PT Modeller or
Solid Edge. Try using other component's features or edges in an assembly
with the other products.

SolidWorks 97 will support freeform surfacing, thin features (sheet
metal) with flat pattern development, multi thickness shelling, many
drawing and detailing enhancements, many assembly modelling
enhancements, speed enhancements and a whole suite of new features
(about 6 pages, small print) that are too many to list.
With MAJOR releases every 6 months, and these do not contain just minor
bug fixes, SolidWorks is WAY ahead of the other two packages,
technically and functionaly.

This is definately proven by the amount of people who have PTC products
and are switching to SolidWorks, plus the lack of sales of the PT
Modeller product.

So again, I say, I really have a hard time believing in the validity of
the Technicomm "Mid-Range Benchmark Report".

2. Booting VxWorks AE 1.1

3. Microstation J/Modeler vs Solid Edge vs ?

4. max. number of fields

5. Artisan vs. Solidworks/ PT Modeler

6. ODIN & PagekeeperPro30

7. Pro/engineer vs. SolidWorks vs. Solid Designer vs. Unigraphics

8. FS: Motorolla 28.8 k Type 2 PCMCIA modem

9. Solid Works Vs Solid Edge Vs Autocad

10. Solid Works vs Solid Edge vs ?

11. Pro/E vs Solid Edge vs AMD

12. Pro-E vs. SDRC I-deas Artisan.