Programmatic hidden line removal...

Post by Alan Axworth » Fri, 17 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I am working with MicroStation 5 and MicroStation 95 on
Windows NT and Sun Solaris platforms.

I am using mdlView_hiddenLineRemoval to programmatically create
.hln files. Some of the files I create take quite a while to
generate. In playing with the MicroStation interface for
Export -> Visible Edges..., I have inferred that the 'method'
employed in the function mdlView_hiddenLineRemoval corresponds
to the 'Exact' setting for 'Method' in the Export Visible Edges
dialog box. That is, it appears to me that my programmatic call
to mdlView_hiddenLineRemoval takes about as long as interactively
exporting visible edges using the 'Exact' method setting.

I have also observed, however, that the 'Fast' setting for method
results in dramatically faster creation of the .hln files
(surprise, surprise). I can certainly see some qualitative
differences between files created with the two different settings,
but for some of my renderings, I believe that the 'Fast' removal
method would work just fine.

My problem is that none of the arguments to
mdlView_hiddenLineRemoval appear to trigger the use of the 'Fast'
method. Hence my question:

Is it possible to programmatically call the 'Fast' hidden-line
removal routine?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Alan Axworthy
-----+++-----

      ^.       Alan Axworthy
     / \`.     Director, Custom Applications
    /   \ `.

  /__\|___\|   10020 North De Anza Blvd.    phone: (408)366-6609
  www.dp.com   Cupertino, CA 95014            fax: (408)366-6607

Programmatic hidden line removal...

Post by Chris Zakrewsk » Fri, 17 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

All the answers are in MDLHVIEW.FDF

Recommended.
HTH
--
Remaining With Our Very Best Regards,

/Chris Zakrewsky

|            CAD Perfect Development Lab Co.           |
|        Torpangsvagen 9, S-187 63 TABY, SWEDEN        |
|            Int'l. tel/fax +46 8 756 1353             |
| Bentley Sales Center, Independent Software Developer |

> I am working with MicroStation 5 and MicroStation 95 on
> Windows NT and Sun Solaris platforms.

> I am using mdlView_hiddenLineRemoval to programmatically create
> .hln files. Some of the files I create take quite a while to
> generate. In playing with the MicroStation interface for
> Export -> Visible Edges..., I have inferred that the 'method'
> employed in the function mdlView_hiddenLineRemoval corresponds
> to the 'Exact' setting for 'Method' in the Export Visible Edges
> dialog box. That is, it appears to me that my programmatic call
> to mdlView_hiddenLineRemoval takes about as long as interactively
> exporting visible edges using the 'Exact' method setting.

> I have also observed, however, that the 'Fast' setting for method
> results in dramatically faster creation of the .hln files
> (surprise, surprise). I can certainly see some qualitative
> differences between files created with the two different settings,
> but for some of my renderings, I believe that the 'Fast' removal
> method would work just fine.

> My problem is that none of the arguments to
> mdlView_hiddenLineRemoval appear to trigger the use of the 'Fast'
> method. Hence my question:

> Is it possible to programmatically call the 'Fast' hidden-line
> removal routine?

> Thank you in advance for your comments.

> Alan Axworthy
> -----+++-----

>       ^.       Alan Axworthy
>      / \`.     Director, Custom Applications
>     /   \ `.

>   /__\|___\|   10020 North De Anza Blvd.    phone: (408)366-6609
>   www.dp.com   Cupertino, CA 95014            fax: (408)366-6607

Programmatic hidden line removal...

Post by Doug Perss » Sat, 18 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Alan,

I'm not an MDL programmer so I can't comment on the feasibility of doing
hiddenlines via that method but there is an alternative "programming"
method to accomplish what you want.  Use the
"EDGES BATCH Commandfile" keyin.  whereas Commandfile is a text
file that contains visible edges commands.  Within this file you can control
such things as what views to process and mode of processing (exact or fast).
You can process multiple files as well.  I would suggest upgrading to
MicrostationSE since the exact mode has been VASTLY improved in quality
and speed of processing and in most cases is faster than the fast mode.

>I am working with MicroStation 5 and MicroStation 95 on
>Windows NT and Sun Solaris platforms.

-----snip------

Quote:>My problem is that none of the arguments to
>mdlView_hiddenLineRemoval appear to trigger the use of the 'Fast'
>method. Hence my question:

>Is it possible to programmatically call the 'Fast' hidden-line
>removal routine?

>Thank you in advance for your comments.

>Alan Axworthy

For email replies,