Embedded Word docs

Post by David Murra » Sat, 16 Jun 2001 04:47:05

This was discussed in a thread or two previously, but I lost the thread and don't think a conclusion
was reached anyway. A brief description:

Word documents cannot be embedded in SW2001 drawings using Office 2000 on Windows 2000. Word docs
previously embedded using earlier software versions are now lost or do not open or do not show in a
SW drawing.

Is there anybody running this particular configuration of software where embedding Word docs works?

To fix the problem, I have tried downloading and installing
    1- critical updates package for Windows 2000
    2- upgrades to Windows 2000 SP2
    3- upgrades to IE 5.5 SP1 (what the hell, I was on a roll)
    4- upgrades to Office 2000 SP2

One workaround is to use the Link option when inserting the object instead of embedding. I've also
heard that upgrading to Office 2001 (or is it XP?) solves the problem, but cannot verify this. I
reject the upgrade, even if it did work. I want a fix, not a forced upgrade.

Regards,
Dave Murray
--
To send email, remove "NOSPAM" from my address.

Embedded Word docs

Post by Paul Salvado » Sat, 16 Jun 2001 06:23:01

David,

I can not help because I still have Office 97.
And, I personally will no buy into or sell out to Windows XP.(unless
they change the use methods)

..

> This was discussed in a thread or two previously, but I lost the thread and don't think a conclusion
> was reached anyway. A brief description:

> Word documents cannot be embedded in SW2001 drawings using Office 2000 on Windows 2000. Word docs
> previously embedded using earlier software versions are now lost or do not open or do not show in a
> SW drawing.

> Is there anybody running this particular configuration of software where embedding Word docs works?

> To fix the problem, I have tried downloading and installing
>     1- critical updates package for Windows 2000
>     2- upgrades to Windows 2000 SP2
>     3- upgrades to IE 5.5 SP1 (what the hell, I was on a roll)
>     4- upgrades to Office 2000 SP2

> One workaround is to use the Link option when inserting the object instead of embedding. I've also
> heard that upgrading to Office 2001 (or is it XP?) solves the problem, but cannot verify this. I
> reject the upgrade, even if it did work. I want a fix, not a forced upgrade.

> Regards,
> Dave Murray
> --
> To send email, remove "NOSPAM" from my address.

Embedded Word docs

Post by Devon T. Sowel » Sat, 16 Jun 2001 10:07:33

David-
When in a drawing, I can insert an object, Word doc, no problem.  If I
double click on it, I can edit it in Word. Is this different from what
you're trying to achieve?
Win 2000 SP2
Word 2000 SP2
Office 97 SP2
SW 2001 SP4
P.S. Really like your book "Inside SolidWorks 2nd ED."

> David,

> I can not help because I still have Office 97.
> And, I personally will no buy into or sell out to Windows XP.(unless
> they change the use methods)

> ..

> > This was discussed in a thread or two previously, but I lost the thread

and don't think a conclusion
Quote:> > was reached anyway. A brief description:

> > Word documents cannot be embedded in SW2001 drawings using Office 2000

on Windows 2000. Word docs
Quote:> > previously embedded using earlier software versions are now lost or do

not open or do not show in a
Quote:> > SW drawing.

> > Is there anybody running this particular configuration of software where

embedding Word docs works?
Quote:

> > To fix the problem, I have tried downloading and installing
> >     1- critical updates package for Windows 2000
> >     2- upgrades to Windows 2000 SP2
> >     3- upgrades to IE 5.5 SP1 (what the hell, I was on a roll)
> >     4- upgrades to Office 2000 SP2

> > One workaround is to use the Link option when inserting the object

instead of embedding. I've also
Quote:> > heard that upgrading to Office 2001 (or is it XP?) solves the problem,

but cannot verify this. I
Quote:> > reject the upgrade, even if it did work. I want a fix, not a forced
upgrade.

> > Regards,
> > Dave Murray
> > --
> > To send email, remove "NOSPAM" from my address.

Embedded Word docs

Post by David Murra » Sat, 16 Jun 2001 21:24:51

Hi Devon,
Thanks for the kind word. Looks like you've got pretty much the same set-up as me, except you're
running Office 97, but you do have Word 2000, so...?

This has been a very difficult problem to diagnose. I would most certainly recommend against
upgrading to Office 2000 for anybody that embeds Word docs into their drawings, even though the
problem apparently is not being experienced by everybody.

Almost makes one long for the good ol days of DOS.

Best,
Dave Murray

> David-
> When in a drawing, I can insert an object, Word doc, no problem.  If I
> double click on it, I can edit it in Word. Is this different from what
> you're trying to achieve?
> Win 2000 SP2
> Word 2000 SP2
> Office 97 SP2
> SW 2001 SP4
> P.S. Really like your book "Inside SolidWorks 2nd ED."

--
To send email, remove "NOSPAM" from my address.

Embedded Word docs

Post by Michae » Sat, 16 Jun 2001 21:58:40

We currently use Office 2000 on Windows 2000 systems and we have no problem
embedding objects in Solidworks 2001 drawings.

Quote:

> Hi Devon,
> Thanks for the kind word. Looks like you've got pretty much the same

set-up as me, except you're
Quote:> running Office 97, but you do have Word 2000, so...?

> This has been a very difficult problem to diagnose. I would most certainly
recommend against
> upgrading to Office 2000 for anybody that embeds Word docs into their

drawings, even though the

> problem apparently is not being experienced by everybody.

> Almost makes one long for the good ol days of DOS.

> Best,
> Dave Murray

> > David-
> > When in a drawing, I can insert an object, Word doc, no problem.  If I
> > double click on it, I can edit it in Word. Is this different from what
> > you're trying to achieve?
> > Win 2000 SP2
> > Word 2000 SP2
> > Office 97 SP2
> > SW 2001 SP4
> > P.S. Really like your book "Inside SolidWorks 2nd ED."

> --
> To send email, remove "NOSPAM" from my address.

Embedded Word docs

Post by Kevin Wishe » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 00:51:41

Dave,

I never need to insert Office doc's. into my drawings but I have the same
configuration you mentioned. I was able to embed a Word doc into a drawing
with no problem.

Kevin Wisher

Win2k SP2
SW2001 SP4
Office2000 SP2

Embedded Word docs

Post by Robert O'Neil » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 01:23:09

I have no problem embedding word 2000 files in drawings.  I think the
problem is an OS setting.  I don't know where.  If I run across it I will
bring it to light.

Quote:

> Hi Devon,
> Thanks for the kind word. Looks like you've got pretty much the same

set-up as me, except you're
Quote:> running Office 97, but you do have Word 2000, so...?

> This has been a very difficult problem to diagnose. I would most certainly
recommend against
> upgrading to Office 2000 for anybody that embeds Word docs into their

drawings, even though the
> problem apparently is not being experienced by everybody.

> Almost makes one long for the good ol days of DOS.

> Best,
> Dave Murray

> > David-
> > When in a drawing, I can insert an object, Word doc, no problem.  If I
> > double click on it, I can edit it in Word. Is this different from what
> > you're trying to achieve?
> > Win 2000 SP2
> > Word 2000 SP2
> > Office 97 SP2
> > SW 2001 SP4
> > P.S. Really like your book "Inside SolidWorks 2nd ED."

> --
> To send email, remove "NOSPAM" from my address.

Embedded Word docs

Post by Johnathen Liebe » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 01:30:57

It seems that my system works, here's the specs:

1.  Windows 2000 SP2
2.  Office 2000 Business Ed.  (Word 2000 (9.0.2812)
3.  SW 2001 SP4

fyi:  in drawing mode, I do all my 'notes' in word and eco tables in
excel....

Quote:> This was discussed in a thread or two previously, but I lost the thread

and don't think a conclusion
Quote:> was reached anyway. A brief description:

> Word documents cannot be embedded in SW2001 drawings using Office 2000 on

Windows 2000. Word docs
Quote:> previously embedded using earlier software versions are now lost or do not

open or do not show in a
Quote:> SW drawing.

> Is there anybody running this particular configuration of software where

embedding Word docs works?
Quote:

> To fix the problem, I have tried downloading and installing
>     1- critical updates package for Windows 2000
>     2- upgrades to Windows 2000 SP2
>     3- upgrades to IE 5.5 SP1 (what the hell, I was on a roll)
>     4- upgrades to Office 2000 SP2

> One workaround is to use the Link option when inserting the object instead

of embedding. I've also
Quote:> heard that upgrading to Office 2001 (or is it XP?) solves the problem, but

cannot verify this. I
Quote:> reject the upgrade, even if it did work. I want a fix, not a forced
upgrade.

> Regards,
> Dave Murray
> --
> To send email, remove "NOSPAM" from my address.

Embedded Word docs

Post by Mat Stevens » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 02:11:16

I can't use word in Solidworks any more. Our VAR can't on some of his
computers. SolidWorks sent me SP4 on the two CD's to see if that would
fix it. Maybe I will try that.

> We currently use Office 2000 on Windows 2000 systems and we have no problem
> embedding objects in Solidworks 2001 drawings.

> > Hi Devon,
> > Thanks for the kind word. Looks like you've got pretty much the same
>  set-up as me, except you're
> > running Office 97, but you do have Word 2000, so...?

> > This has been a very difficult problem to diagnose. I would most certainly
>  recommend against
> > upgrading to Office 2000 for anybody that embeds Word docs into their
>  drawings, even though the
> > problem apparently is not being experienced by everybody.

> > Almost makes one long for the good ol days of DOS.

> > Best,
> > Dave Murray

> > > David-
> > > When in a drawing, I can insert an object, Word doc, no problem.  If I
> > > double click on it, I can edit it in Word. Is this different from what
> > > you're trying to achieve?
> > > Win 2000 SP2
> > > Word 2000 SP2
> > > Office 97 SP2
> > > SW 2001 SP4
> > > P.S. Really like your book "Inside SolidWorks 2nd ED."

> > --
> > To send email, remove "NOSPAM" from my address.

Embedded Word docs

Post by Devon T. Sowel » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 09:13:13

David-
Specifically, what happens when you try to insert the Word doc. into your
drawings? Do you get an error message or what?  How about on previous
drawings that had Word doc.'s, is there just a blank space?
Devon

> It seems that my system works, here's the specs:

> 1.  Windows 2000 SP2
> 2.  Office 2000 Business Ed.  (Word 2000 (9.0.2812)
> 3.  SW 2001 SP4

> fyi:  in drawing mode, I do all my 'notes' in word and eco tables in
> excel....

> > This was discussed in a thread or two previously, but I lost the thread
> and don't think a conclusion
> > was reached anyway. A brief description:

> > Word documents cannot be embedded in SW2001 drawings using Office 2000
on
> Windows 2000. Word docs
> > previously embedded using earlier software versions are now lost or do
not
> open or do not show in a
> > SW drawing.

> > Is there anybody running this particular configuration of software where
> embedding Word docs works?

> > To fix the problem, I have tried downloading and installing
> >     1- critical updates package for Windows 2000
> >     2- upgrades to Windows 2000 SP2
> >     3- upgrades to IE 5.5 SP1 (what the hell, I was on a roll)
> >     4- upgrades to Office 2000 SP2

> > One workaround is to use the Link option when inserting the object
instead
> of embedding. I've also
> > heard that upgrading to Office 2001 (or is it XP?) solves the problem,
but
> cannot verify this. I
> > reject the upgrade, even if it did work. I want a fix, not a forced
> upgrade.

> > Regards,
> > Dave Murray
> > --
> > To send email, remove "NOSPAM" from my address.

Embedded Word docs

Post by Wood » Mon, 18 Jun 2001 05:52:26

David,

My system consists of SW2001, Office 2000 and Win2000.  I've tryed new Word
Docs and Old (Pre-2000) with no failures.  The Office 97 docs (not yet saved
as 2000) took a little loner to insert, but again with no problems.
FYI -I'm running an Athlon 1.33 with 512RAM - I don't think this would have
anything to do with it, but who knows.

-RJ Reesor

Quote:> This was discussed in a thread or two previously, but I lost the thread

and don't think a conclusion
Quote:> was reached anyway. A brief description:

> Word documents cannot be embedded in SW2001 drawings using Office 2000 on

Windows 2000. Word docs
Quote:> previously embedded using earlier software versions are now lost or do not

open or do not show in a
Quote:> SW drawing.

> Is there anybody running this particular configuration of software where

embedding Word docs works?
Quote:

> To fix the problem, I have tried downloading and installing
>     1- critical updates package for Windows 2000
>     2- upgrades to Windows 2000 SP2
>     3- upgrades to IE 5.5 SP1 (what the hell, I was on a roll)
>     4- upgrades to Office 2000 SP2

> One workaround is to use the Link option when inserting the object instead

of embedding. I've also
Quote:> heard that upgrading to Office 2001 (or is it XP?) solves the problem, but

cannot verify this. I
Quote:> reject the upgrade, even if it did work. I want a fix, not a forced
upgrade.

> Regards,
> Dave Murray
> --
> To send email, remove "NOSPAM" from my address.

Embedded Word docs

Post by David Murra » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 05:44:02

A solution! Accolades to whoever figured this one out at Acu-rite. I wish I could take credit for this,
but unfortunately I cannot. This was passed along to me by a customer (thanks Dennis) and I wanted to
pass it along because I know there are others suffering from this problem.

And the answer is:
Turn off script blocking in Norton Anti-Virus.

Regards,
Dave

--
To send email, remove "NOSPAM" from my address.

1. embedding word object

I am having trouble embedding Word objects into my drawings.  If I open
older drawings that had Word objects embedded in them (drawing notes), they
are now gone.  If I try to embed a new Word object into my drawing (either
from a file or by creating a new one) I get a "Object cannot be created
error".  I do not have trouble embedding Excel spreadsheets or Wordpad
objects.
I think the problem started when I upgraded from 2001 to 2001plus, but I'm
not sure.  It seems to not work only on 1 computer.  Tried re-installing
Solidworks with no luck.  I'm running Word2000, SW 2001Plus (sp2.0), and
Windows XP.
Anyone else having this problem or any advice?
Thanks,
Kevin

2. Phila: SAS Analyst / Pharma Marketing

3. embedded multiple pages word object in drawings

4. 70-176

5. R12, R13 drawings embedded in Word 6.0 Documents

6. Texture mapping (whoops)

7. Autocad LT drawing embedded in Word document

8. CDROM on Netware server (help)

9. Why doesn't line width transfer with embedded objects into Word?

10. Solidworks Documents embedded in Word documents

11. Word doc into R14

12. Word Doc

13. micro j and word docs