Video cards again (TNT cards)

Post by XRaceTr » Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I've read a few times here that the Riva TNT based video
cards "have trouble" with AutoCAD... could someone
please fill me in on the specifics of that trouble? And,
have nVidia or any of the board manufacturers been
able to correct the problems?

I will be buying a new system this week and the one
I am looking at comes with the Diamond Viper 550...

Thanks in advance,
- m.

     Mike Holthouse - Indianapolis, IN
        Drop the "X" to e-mail me.

Video cards again (TNT cards)

Post by Alveus New » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Mike,

 I would go ahead and buy it. At my work we are running 3 CAD machines with
the Viper V550 and 2 with the Viper V330 and we haven't had any problems at
all with them. My guess is that who ever told you that, has a problem with
their PC. We are running on both Win95 and Win98. I know both those
platforms are very stable with the Viper V550 and V330 in the Autocad R14
environment. I don't know how it runs on an NT system. I hope that helps you
out.

Video cards again (TNT cards)

Post by David Geesama » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

        Regarding TNT cards, I am not aware of any drivers that add
functionality to AutoCAD.  TNT's are fairly fast at 2d, and for general
AutoCAD they are good cards.
        If you want to add 3d rendering functionality (shaded spins, etc) then
you want a Permedia2 card.  Elsa's PowerView and Accelgraphics'
Accelview are AutoCAD add-on drivers that allow for interactive
manipulation of 3d models using hardware acceleration for their
Permedia2-based cards.  I find this to be a valuable tool, and I'm not
aware of any such TNT drivers, despite the strong 3d features of the
TNT.
        If I'm wrong and there ARE AutoCAD drivers for the TNT, they I'd really
like to hear about experiences with them.
        I am a fan of Permedia2 cards (obvious by now), and their drivers are
as stable as they get.  TNT's drivers are very good, but they are newer,
and likewise are not quite as tight.  It can also be said that the TNT
has better drivers in 95/98 than in NT, and the Permedia2 has better
drivers in NT than in 95/98.

        Dave

> Mike,

>  I would go ahead and buy it. At my work we are running 3 CAD machines with
> the Viper V550 and 2 with the Viper V330 and we haven't had any problems at
> all with them. My guess is that who ever told you that, has a problem with
> their PC. We are running on both Win95 and Win98. I know both those
> platforms are very stable with the Viper V550 and V330 in the Autocad R14
> environment. I don't know how it runs on an NT system. I hope that helps you
> out.

Video cards again (TNT cards)

NOT TRUE!  Elsa's Erazor II TNT card has AutoCAD specialized drivers.

--
=======================
Jeffrey A. Garcia, PE

Civil Engineer & PC Hobbyist

To reply to this message, remove "X" from my address.

Video cards again (TNT cards)

Post by Norbert Gru » Sat, 09 Jan 1999 04:00:00

On Tue, 05 Jan 1999 23:34:59 -0800, El Jefe'

>NOT TRUE!  Elsa's Erazor II TNT card has AutoCAD specialized drivers.

ELSA will also provide a special CAD card based on the Riva TNT and
derived from the Erazor II with a bunch of CAD drivers (e.g. OpenGL,
HEIDI, Direct3D, AutoCAD R14 und 3D Studio MAX/VIZ R2.x, POWERdraft
displaylist driver for AutoCAD R13 and R14), like the ELSA Gloria
Synergy or the old ELSA Winner Pro/X series.

HTH
Norbert
ELSA fan
___
"More Power" - T. Taylor

Video cards again (TNT cards)

Post by Norbert Gru » Sat, 09 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>ELSA will also provide a special CAD card based on the Riva TNT and
>derived from the Erazor II

Ooops, already announced: ELSA Synergy II (Riva TNT) ==>
http://www.elsa.com/AMERICA/PRO_INDX.HTM

Norbert
___
"More Power" - T. Taylor