Modeler vs. Designer

Post by Gary Cochrane [Bentley » Thu, 13 Apr 1995 04:00:00

> Hello,

> Has anyone compared ACAD Designer to Microstation Modeler?  If you have, I'd appreciate it if you would let me know your
> conclusions.  Or if you know where I can get this info, I'd appreciate knowing that, too.

> Thanks!

> Mark S. Terry
> CAD Sales Consultant
> I/M Solutions Center
> Phone: 312-334-2888        FAX: 312-334-2774

Mark,

There are many differences between AutoDesk Designer and MicroStation
Modeler, many of which stem from the fact that Designer is based upon
the AutoCAD graphical engine, and Modeler on the MicroStation engine.
 The differences between AutoCAD and MicroStation as base CADD engines
are far too many to itemize here, but we believe that MicroStation is a
 considerably more robust 3D environment.

I also will shy away from saying negatives about AutoDesk's product
because I believe that accomplishes nothing. There are many subjective
differences between the two products that can be argued until the end
of time. I will therefore choose to omit those as well, and concentrate
on those features (as objectively as a Bentley employee can!) Modeler
offers that (as I understand) Designer does not:

Modeler offers the following that I believe Designer doesn't:
* Parametric Primitives
* Integrated Spline surface support including Boolean operations
  between surfaces and solids
* Dynamic Hidden Line views
* User defined names for constraining variables
* Feature Suppression
* Rectangular and Polar Feature Arrays
* Feature Manipulation such as copy/move/rotate/mirror
* Shelling
* STL output (I'm not sure on this one, anybody know if Designer includes
  this?)
* Variable Radius Blends
* Assembly module that allows parts to reside in one file, yet be
  inserted in an assembly that resides in another (with a dynamic
  link). This is a bit subjective as to the definition of assembly.
  Designer can create assemblies by including all the parts in one
  file.
* Joints between components of assemblies, with animation.
* Interference detection between components of assemblies.
* The ability to save the drawing as a sheet that is independent of
  the model (for sending to contractors who don't have Modeler, but
  do have MicroStation for instance). This, in addition to the obvious
  capability to create a sheet that IS associative to the model (which
  for clarity's sake, both Modeler and Designer do).
* Sketching in an isometric view
* Dynamic preview of changes before accepting the command.

Finally, I don't know the complete list of Platforms that Designer is
available on. Modeler will be available on:

* DOS, Windows 3.1, WindowsNT (Windows95 when available)
* SGI
* HP
* Sparc
* IBM RS/6000