PW1 to PW2 issues to be aware of...

Post by Paul Salvado » Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:42:00

An example of what you may experience with PW1 to PW2 conversions and
file differences.

This was originally a PW1 (SW2001plus) file converted into the latest
PW2.
http://zxys.com/lighbulbs-pw1.jpg
http://zxys.com/lighbulbs-pw2.jpg

Positives are:
Quality is better
Shadows are better
AA is better
Light acts more natural

Negatives are:
Textures can be messed, lost or different
Decals can be messed up or different
Lighting is different
Transparency is different
Floor/object distance gets screwed up (nearly every file)
And, it's a bit slower than PW1

Sadly, PW2 is better in quality but obviously the PW2 image is screwed
up and it shows in general a loss in productivity (rework time) using
the new PW2.

..

PW1 to PW2 issues to be aware of...

Post by Merry Owe » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 00:40:15

Ah the joys of getting something new from SW - 2 steps forward & 1 step
back.

Merry :-)

Quote:> An example of what you may experience with PW1 to PW2 conversions and
> file differences.

> This was originally a PW1 (SW2001plus) file converted into the latest
> PW2.
> http://zxys.com/lighbulbs-pw1.jpg
> http://zxys.com/lighbulbs-pw2.jpg

> Positives are:
> Quality is better
> Shadows are better
> AA is better
> Light acts more natural

> Negatives are:
> Textures can be messed, lost or different
> Decals can be messed up or different
> Lighting is different
> Transparency is different
> Floor/object distance gets screwed up (nearly every file)
> And, it's a bit slower than PW1

> Sadly, PW2 is better in quality but obviously the PW2 image is screwed
> up and it shows in general a loss in productivity (rework time) using
> the new PW2.

> ..

PW1 to PW2 issues to be aware of...

Post by Mike J. Wilso » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 01:13:17

Quote:> "Paul Salvador" wrote...
> Sadly, PW2 is better in quality but obviously the PW2 image is screwed
> up and it shows in general a loss in productivity (rework time) using
> the new PW2.

I see you have the good and the bad, so I'll throw in
the "ugly"...

I hate to say this but I would advise people to treat PW2
as beta still. I have found numerous problems with it and
I grow tired of sending in reports.

Some things to look out for...

*) SolidWorks will simply disappear during a rendering,
    sending you straight to desktop. Be sure and SAVE
    before each rendering! I like to do a "save-as" since
   I've had a part go corrupt on me after the CTD.

*) Sometimes, when changing materials at the part level,
    the Render button no longer works, forcing you to
    re-start the add-in

*) When I click on "Cube Neon Environment" I get a
    square room. Anybody else see this?

*) When I click on "Sphere Sky Environment" the texture
    settings for the wall materials all have a "-1" value that
    can't be changed.

*) The texture settings for room walls require me to edit
    them twice before I can access them

*) The wall sizes change for no reason

*) My "X-Ray Vision" technique doesn't work, which had
    an SPR

and so on...

PW1 to PW2 issues to be aware of...

Post by Mike J. Wilso » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 01:31:00

One thing I forgot to mention...

When installing PW2:
make sure to extract the files FIRST, then run SP3.
If you do it "sdrawkcab" you run the risk of having
to un-install SolidWorks completely and re-installing.

Mike Wilson

PW1 to PW2 issues to be aware of...

Post by Paul Salvado » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 04:43:50

Mike,

I have not seen all of what you have noted but I have seen other
problems.
Decals and materials behavior can be inconsistent or the apply button
will not activate when making changes or the changes will not apply or
it will activate when just viewing the dialog boxes (no changes).
SWeeT?

I agree with you, PW2 is beta still.

My point is, if most of the users stay working on PW1, the downstream
problems in the conversion to PW2 are there.
Now, I understand why they put out the note that the conversion will not
be available in the next release, because there are too many problems
with it and there is a chance many users will revert back to PW1 (which
I've been doing every once in a while, not a good combo).

What's clearly painful is seeing my time placed in PW1 data being
scrambled and/or lost in the PW2 conversion.

Anyhow, I do not see SW2003 as a production worthy tool at all, I see
SW2003 as beta, period.
In the spr list for SW2003, most of the items confirm there are many
others experiencing what I'm experiencing, problems and instability.
What's frustraing is some features which do not worth properly (which
should have been fixed) in SW2001plus, work in SW2003.   And, that's not
right, because SW2001plus had a lot of spr's still out on it which were
NOT fixed!

The paying users should NOT be beta testing released product which was
release over 6 MONTHS ago and was in official beta 4+  months before
that.

What's happening is there are not enough users providing information
early on at the beta level and SW Corp still can NOT manage beta or QA.
This process continues to be flawed.

..

> > "Paul Salvador" wrote...
> > Sadly, PW2 is better in quality but obviously the PW2 image is screwed
> > up and it shows in general a loss in productivity (rework time) using
> > the new PW2.

> I see you have the good and the bad, so I'll throw in
> the "ugly"...

> I hate to say this but I would advise people to treat PW2
> as beta still. I have found numerous problems with it and
> I grow tired of sending in reports.

> Some things to look out for...

> *) SolidWorks will simply disappear during a rendering,
>     sending you straight to desktop. Be sure and SAVE
>     before each rendering! I like to do a "save-as" since
>    I've had a part go corrupt on me after the CTD.

> *) Sometimes, when changing materials at the part level,
>     the Render button no longer works, forcing you to
>     re-start the add-in

> *) When I click on "Cube Neon Environment" I get a
>     square room. Anybody else see this?

> *) When I click on "Sphere Sky Environment" the texture
>     settings for the wall materials all have a "-1" value that
>     can't be changed.

> *) The texture settings for room walls require me to edit
>     them twice before I can access them

> *) The wall sizes change for no reason

> *) My "X-Ray Vision" technique doesn't work, which had
>     an SPR

> and so on...

PW1 to PW2 issues to be aware of...

Post by Sporkma » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 05:22:41

ACK (choke).  I haven't installed it (SW2003) yet (still waiting on
comments regarding SP3 -- I'm tired of being a beta tester).  Is it
possible to use BOTH PW1 and PW2 from SW2003?

'Spork'

> An example of what you may experience with PW1 to PW2 conversions and
> file differences.

> This was originally a PW1 (SW2001plus) file converted into the latest
> PW2.
> http://zxys.com/lighbulbs-pw1.jpg
> http://zxys.com/lighbulbs-pw2.jpg

> Positives are:
> Quality is better
> Shadows are better
> AA is better
> Light acts more natural

> Negatives are:
> Textures can be messed, lost or different
> Decals can be messed up or different
> Lighting is different
> Transparency is different
> Floor/object distance gets screwed up (nearly every file)
> And, it's a bit slower than PW1

> Sadly, PW2 is better in quality but obviously the PW2 image is screwed
> up and it shows in general a loss in productivity (rework time) using
> the new PW2.

> ..

PW1 to PW2 issues to be aware of...

Post by Paul Salvado » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 05:39:25

Yep, you can use both.

..

> ACK (choke).  I haven't installed it (SW2003) yet (still waiting on
> comments regarding SP3 -- I'm tired of being a beta tester).  Is it
> possible to use BOTH PW1 and PW2 from SW2003?

> 'Spork'

> > An example of what you may experience with PW1 to PW2 conversions and
> > file differences.

> > This was originally a PW1 (SW2001plus) file converted into the latest
> > PW2.
> > http://zxys.com/lighbulbs-pw1.jpg
> > http://zxys.com/lighbulbs-pw2.jpg

> > Positives are:
> > Quality is better
> > Shadows are better
> > AA is better
> > Light acts more natural

> > Negatives are:
> > Textures can be messed, lost or different
> > Decals can be messed up or different
> > Lighting is different
> > Transparency is different
> > Floor/object distance gets screwed up (nearly every file)
> > And, it's a bit slower than PW1

> > Sadly, PW2 is better in quality but obviously the PW2 image is screwed
> > up and it shows in general a loss in productivity (rework time) using
> > the new PW2.

> > ..

1. Surface direction issues with PW1 & 2..

Some of you may have witnessed this with PW1 and PW2.. using surfaces?

http://www.zxys.com/swparts/pw_dimple_prob.gif

Does anyone know the solution to correct the surface normal or a way to
flip the material direction to show properly?  (btw, other than knitting
the surfaces into a closed boundary, thickening/solidifying)

..

2. SMTP Host Configuration & Hit Counter & Confirmation Page Style settings

3. SP2 aware Programs released to beta

4. Upgrade problems

5. Anyone aware of software that will .....

6. CSSCGC2K Page Updates Again! Gasp!

7. LT Toolkit ver 3 2002 (!SlingShot aware) Beta 1 Released

8. GTLOOK

9. New Web -vector formats (SVG, X3D), Bentley aware ?

10. Corrupted files due too PW2, SW Corp please fix!!

11. PW2 - Rendering the color white - using plastic as a material

12. PW2: Contour Rendering