Modeler Parts and Joints

Post by Thomas Geis » Tue, 10 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

since I could not find any information in the Modeler documentation, here
are two questions about some part- and joint-hierarchy:

1. Am I right, that I can attach a part (let's call it Part B) to a solid,
but not to a part, that is already attached to a solid (Part A).
The difference is, that if I then move Part A along its joint Part B does
not move, which I interprete as Part B being attached to the solid Part A
is attached to and not to Part A.

2. If I attach a part (Part X) to a solid and then make a new part out of
this solid (Part Y), I can not move Part X after I have attached Part Y to
another solid. Is this true?

Thanky for answers in advance,
Regards
--
-> Thomas Geist * FH-Mnchen * FB01 Architektur
-> Hellensteinstr. 60 * D-81243 Mnchen * Deutschland

-> http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~heinzi/

Modeler Parts and Joints

Post by Bentl » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hello Thomas,

Here are answers to your questions:
1.  Lets say you have attached part A to a solid. When you then attach
part B to the assembly of the solid and part A, part B will be attached
to the combination of those two. You have two options to attach part B:
you can attach to point or to face. When you attach to point you will
attach to a specific global coordinate which will not change when you
manipulate part A. When you attach to face, you can attach to a face of
part A, and when you then manipulate part A, part B will follow. So if
you want parts to follow other parts, you should use the to face option.
2.  You should be able to manipulate any joints within a subassembly, so
you should be able to manipulate part X within part Y with the
manipulate joint command. Maybe you defined the joint of part X to be a
fixed joint? In that case you could clearly not manipulate it. If you
keep having problems, let me know.

Regards,
Martin Waardenburg

----------------------

> Hello,

> since I could not find any information in the Modeler documentation, here
> are two questions about some part- and joint-hierarchy:

> 1. Am I right, that I can attach a part (let's call it Part B) to a solid,
> but not to a part, that is already attached to a solid (Part A).
> The difference is, that if I then move Part A along its joint Part B does
> not move, which I interprete as Part B being attached to the solid Part A
> is attached to and not to Part A.

> 2. If I attach a part (Part X) to a solid and then make a new part out of
> this solid (Part Y), I can not move Part X after I have attached Part Y to
> another solid. Is this true?

> Thanky for answers in advance,
> Regards
> --
> -> Thomas Geist * FH-Mnchen * FB01 Architektur
> -> Hellensteinstr. 60 * D-81243 Mnchen * Deutschland
> -> Tel. +49-89-8713554 * Fax +49-89-87139094

> -> http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~heinzi/

1. Q: uStation/Modeler: How to get Assembly Sub-Part List (MDL)

Hi,

I'm working on MicroStation Modeler V7.00xxx,  Coding in MDL.
I'd like to get a list of all the current Assembly (composed part) sub-part
list -- and their file names.

Does anybody know how to do it ?

 Thanks,
    Daniel.

2. HELP? How do I report no service or response

3. WTS ATM Cards

4. Repositioning assembly parts in Modeler

5. Save / restore XMLDOM avoiding serialization

6. Modeler parts/assembly

7. Modeler Help - Parts

8. Do Modeler Parts retain Material assignments ?

9. Part modeler in Xchangeworks: What can it do?

10. Modeler Parts

11. PowerScope's view of Modeler files utilizing parts!!!