tesselating a proe-part on export

Post by Tom Impellus » Thu, 19 Apr 2001 08:09:32

Hello,

I have a proE part that I wish to output to
Inventor format (or even VRML).

Now the part, is quite simple: say, for example it is
just a circular column of constant cross section.

Upon export, I receive triangles which span the length
of the colum:  a triangle with two nodes at the base and
one node at the top; i.e.: a long slender triangl...

Acutally, these triangles circle the column, but they still
have only nodes on the perimeter of the top and bottom.

(I need to write a software code that reads the data, and is
able to deform the column along its length.

Thus, I need to have polygons nodes and triangles along the
entire lenght of the column (not just nodes on top and bottom).

If I play with the output chord length, I get more nodes on the top
and bottom, but no along the length: i.e: more and more slender
triangles.

Is there anyway to make more triangles and nodes along the column?

thanks,
tom

tesselating a proe-part on export

Post by Christopher Brow » Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:16:07

i THINK that if you place datum curves along the column then perhaps
some points on those curves it might read those in as nodes.  Though you
might have to split your column up into multiple protrusion features.
without trying it that's the only thing I can think of.

cheers,

christopher brown

--
Christopher Brown

---------------------------------

tel.  503-804-3289
fax.  503-210-0391

tesselating a proe-part on export

Post by Karthik Rajaman » Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:32:29

Tom,

Generally the tessellation algorithms in CAD packages will not add
additional nodes along the linear direction. The chordal tolerance you
specify will only change the number of points along the curvature. In
your case you can try one of the following.

Instead of using a perfect cylinder, use a deformed cylinder (deformed
along the length). Basically make sure that the curve that you revolve
around an axis to generate the object is not linear.

If you need to use a perfect cylinder, then try to create a finite
element mesh using any FEA package. This tessellation will have nodes
all over the surface. Then you can write another program to extract the
triangles and vertices that lie on the surface of the cylinder. This is
little more work but I think this may be the only way you can get what
you need! You may also be able to export a VRML file from the FEA
package.

Karthik

> Hello,

> I have a proE part that I wish to output to
> Inventor format (or even VRML).

> Now the part, is quite simple: say, for example it is
> just a circular column of constant cross section.

> Upon export, I receive triangles which span the length
> of the colum:  a triangle with two nodes at the base and
> one node at the top; i.e.: a long slender triangl...

> Acutally, these triangles circle the column, but they still
> have only nodes on the perimeter of the top and bottom.

> (I need to write a software code that reads the data, and is
> able to deform the column along its length.

> Thus, I need to have polygons nodes and triangles along the
> entire lenght of the column (not just nodes on top and bottom).

> If I play with the output chord length, I get more nodes on the top
> and bottom, but no along the length: i.e: more and more slender
> triangles.

> Is there anyway to make more triangles and nodes along the column?

> thanks,
> tom

1. Tesselated arcs in my plot output--WTF?

After years of using an HP Draftpro EXL with Pro/Engineer, suddenly
(it seems) some of my drawings are exhibiting tesselated (sp?)--or
segmented--arcs (it breaks arcs up into individual line segments).  It
does it only on certain drawings.  I can take the same part and put it
into a new drawing by itself and it plots fine.  I'm thinking it may
be related to the amount of info in the drawing, but it's never been a
problem in the past.  It's not plotter related, either.  It happens
whether I plot to the Draftpro or a LaserJet 4V.   I even took a plot
file to a CAD reseller to have them plot it on a 750C and a 350C and
in both cases it resulted in the same thing.  I blame Pro.  Anyone
else have similar complaints?  Any solutions?

Joel Moore

2. Visio 2000 converting fonts to outlines

3. HOW EXPORT PROE-Assembly INTO 3D STUDIO

4. glab?

5. import export catia v4 in and from proe 2000i

6. want general custom build procedure, not per-file

7. exporting a curve in PROe?

8. Microsoft Backup

9. Exporting assembly IGES files from ProE to Surfcam

10. keeping color when exporting proe fiels

11. Exporting ProE files to Ansys...

12. export 3d-models between ProE & Solid Works 98+

13. Problem with exporting tools from ProE to Vericut