autocad vs microstation which is better?

autocad vs microstation which is better?

Post by Brian Collin » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I currently work for a company who is using microstation.  Recently the
question came up if we should work on switching over to Autocad.  We are
going through the process of figuring out the pros and cons of each
package

Unfortunately I worked with R13 and I an unfamiliar with the
capabilities of the latest releases any insights anyone may have would
be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Brian

autocad vs microstation which is better?

Post by Terry Scanlo » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I currently work for a company who is using microstation.  Recently the
> question came up if we should work on switching over to Autocad.  We are
> going through the process of figuring out the pros and cons of each
> package

> Unfortunately I worked with R13 and I an unfamiliar with the
> capabilities of the latest releases any insights anyone may have would
> be greatly appreciated

> Thanks
> Brian

This is a 'Ford' vs. 'Chevy' issue.  I don't believe anyone can definatively
say
one is universaly better than the other.  I'm sure each has it's strengths
and
weaknesses in particular areas.  Either folks won't take this bait, or there
will
be a firey exchange on this topic :)

One big question I would ask is: Do you commonly exchange drawing files
with clients or other firms?  If so, what are they using?

The vast majority of exchanges we deal with are using Autocad.  But, I do
know
of firms that deal primarily with state and federal agencies that happen to
use
Microstation.

Other than that, if you now own Microstaion, what is broken that you are
wanting to fix?

Terry Scanlon

autocad vs microstation which is better?

Post by Brian Collin » Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:00:00

We do exchange files with outside firms and they are usually in dwg
format.  We are currently looking at more efficient ways to transfer
these files. My main concern is, we have a survey department who uses
autocad and all the files have to be translated before we get them.
Half the time there is clean up and in my opinion this process is often
inefficient.

I agree that they seem very similar, however the survey department is
looking to upgrade there software.....and please bare with me I am not
very familiar with their process but, I believe they download the gps
into HASP ?? and then into autocad and then to microstation. It is my
understanding that softdesk in combination with autocad can eliminate
this need for multiple programs, again I am unsure of this because it
has been a while since I have worked with cad.....PSU was kind enough to
train us in minicad aka vector works.....

is not really broken but are we being as efficient as possible, because
after all time is money. We do spend a good bit of time converting
drawings but maybe it is the way we are using the capabilities of
microstation

Another issue that has come up, is the use of arcview.  We are currently
using GIS for some of the base information on our plans.  Does autocad
or microstation handle these files better then one......I don't know,
but would be very interested to hear some opinions on any of these
ideas.

Thanks in advance.....
Brian Collins

> > I currently work for a company who is using microstation.  Recently the
> > question came up if we should work on switching over to Autocad.  We are
> > going through the process of figuring out the pros and cons of each
> > package

> > Unfortunately I worked with R13 and I an unfamiliar with the
> > capabilities of the latest releases any insights anyone may have would
> > be greatly appreciated

> > Thanks
> > Brian

> This is a 'Ford' vs. 'Chevy' issue.  I don't believe anyone can definatively
> say
> one is universaly better than the other.  I'm sure each has it's strengths
> and
> weaknesses in particular areas.  Either folks won't take this bait, or there
> will
> be a firey exchange on this topic :)

> One big question I would ask is: Do you commonly exchange drawing files
> with clients or other firms?  If so, what are they using?

> The vast majority of exchanges we deal with are using Autocad.  But, I do
> know
> of firms that deal primarily with state and federal agencies that happen to
> use
> Microstation.

> Other than that, if you now own Microstaion, what is broken that you are
> wanting to fix?

> Terry Scanlon

autocad vs microstation which is better?

Post by Terry Scanlo » Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> We do exchange files with outside firms and they are usually in dwg
> format.  We are currently looking at more efficient ways to transfer
> these files. My main concern is, we have a survey department who uses
> autocad and all the files have to be translated before we get them.
> Half the time there is clean up and in my opinion this process is often
> inefficient.

> Another issue that has come up, is the use of arcview.  We are currently
> using GIS for some of the base information on our plans.  Does autocad
> or microstation handle these files better then one......I don't know,
> but would be very interested to hear some opinions on any of these
> ideas.

> Thanks in advance.....
> Brian Collins

Brian,

Given this additional information, I would definately convert everything
to Autodesk products.  Converting from Acad to Mstation and back to Acad
does not sound efficient at all.

We also use Arcview at my office.  I have seen more Autocad support in
Arcview than mstation support.  We also are running Autocad Map which
integrates GIS into the Autocad environment.  Map can import and export
Arcview shape files.  It doesn't cost a lot more than plain Autocad.  It
also
has capabilities that make 'team' working on projects FAR easier and more
efficient.  I would consider making Autocad Map your design office standard.
If not, I would still get at least one seat of Map for integration with
Arcview.

Terry Scanlon