Attaching Tag data to cells

Post by Rob Johnso » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Does anyone know if it is possible, and how to do it if it is, to attach
non-displayed tags to cells?

I'm creating some standard cells, and I attach the tags to an Element of the
new "cell".  When I create the Cell, there is no way to select the
non-displayed tag elements, so they do not get added to the cell in the
library.

Any ideas?

Rob Johnson
Computer Systems Coordinator
SSOE, Inc
Bellevue, WA

Attaching Tag data to cells

Post by Steve Wohlfor » Sat, 28 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Does anyone know if it is possible, and how to do it if it is, to attach
> non-displayed tags to cells?

> I'm creating some standard cells, and I attach the tags to an Element of the
> new "cell".  When I create the Cell, there is no way to select the
> non-displayed tag elements, so they do not get added to the cell in the
> library.

Which sadly, is a good thing. I tried for many months to use TAGS in
cells.
It does not work. At least it didn't in MS 95, I haven't tried in SE.

Basically, the cell is created with a tag that has an ID number (lets
say 12345).
If multiple instances of this cell are placed in the same file, there
are
multiple instances of the same tag ID number (12345, 12345, 12345, etc.)

Additionally, cell libraries containg cells with TAGS seemed to
automatically
corrupt themselves. Cells would just vansh from the library when the
library
was compressed.

Hopefully, every thing I have written above is wrong and I am just a
naive,
simplistic user. I am sure that my description of the problems I
encountered is full of technical inaccuracies (..my car goes whirrr,
click, thunk
please help).

If somebody can tell us how to make tags work in cells I will be
eternally grateful
(well grateful for a while anyhow.....)
|  Steve Wohlford   |  "ASPERVM AESTIMARE FIMI ALIQVID HODIE"        |

Attaching Tag data to cells

Post by G.J. Werle » Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:00:00

We have done a lot of stuff with MicroStation TAGS. In V5 TAGS were a
nightmare (design files get corrupted etc.) In V95 it was improved a
lot,
but when you use EDG to verify a cell library with tags in it EDG
complaines
about these tags. In SE it seems to be valid to put tags in a cell
librarys.
(EDG does not complain)
Back to jour problem:
As far as I now there is no way to include tags in a cell library that
is
not visible. The same problem occurs when you try to include visible
tags
with a emptly stringvalue. The last problem we solved by putting one
space
caracter " " in the tag. We are developing a small MDL routine that
deletes
these single spaces from the cell library.

By the way, have you ever tried to rotate a tag? Do you also experience
very strange behavior? Bentley-Europe has fixed this problem for us with
an MDL. With this MDL it is also possible to copy elements with tags
from
a reference file to the masterfile!

Kind regards,

G.J. Werler
Gerrit Jan Werler                         Holland Railconsult P.O. Box
2855

Netherlands
tel:+31 302357074 fax:+31 302357208