File Management

Post by Dick Osborn » Sat, 26 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Is there a simple program available that allows a user to check out a
drawing file from a server, mark the file read only on the server so
others can reference it but not change it, and download required
reference files?  When exiting it would copy the updated file back to
server, and remove read only attribute.  It could either leave the
reference files on the local machine or delete them.  If it leaves them
on the local machine it would check to see if they are the most up to
date ones the next time they are needed for reference.  Have 20 Windows
98 machines running MS J and InRoads.  Server is NT.  We're having
problems with more than one person working in the same drawing file.

File Management

Post by Thomas Voghe » Sat, 26 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Dick

Have you looked at PB?

Solves some of your problems But references is perhaps a aspect yet to
be solved.

Thomas V

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000 15:11:56 -0500,* Osborne

>Is there a simple program available that allows a user to check out a
>drawing file from a server, mark the file read only on the server so
>others can reference it but not change it, and download required
>reference files?  When exiting it would copy the updated file back to
>server, and remove read only attribute.  It could either leave the
>reference files on the local machine or delete them.  If it leaves them
>on the local machine it would check to see if they are the most up to
>date ones the next time they are needed for reference.  Have 20 Windows
>98 machines running MS J and InRoads.  Server is NT.  We're having
>problems with more than one person working in the same drawing file.

Thomas Voghera, TVAK
Box 8215, 163 08  SP?NGA, SWEDEN
Tel +46 8 56471414  Fax +46 8 795 7587   Mob +46 70 695 7630

File Management

Post by Simon Wurste » Sat, 26 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi*,
I'm no NT Server expert, but I can say we have a similar setup (about 65 users
though) and NT offers all the file-locking we need. No files are copied down
locally, and all files stay where they are on the server. If a user is in a
file, any other user gets a read-only message if they attempt to open it. If a
user continues to open the file, all their work is "erased" when the view is
updated, indicating tha the file is indeed read-only (note that this occurs
within a few seconds of working, so no real data is ever lost). Also, when a
user is in a read-only file, the drive icon at the bottom right-hand corner of
the screen turns red. Plowing this far past all the warnings and watching a few
lines disappear is usually a lesson the user never forgets.

With all these safeguards and indicators in MicroStation and from NT, perhaps
there is some other cause to this situation in your office. I would guess that
users have a bad workflow habit: probably _manually_ copying files down to a
local drive, doing some work, then copying them back up to the server,
overwriting the seemingly old versions (which perhaps someone else has worked in
and already copied onto the server). This archaic check-in, check-out workflow
is a holdover from poor (read: slow, unpredictable) networking technology of
several years ago. But now with modern LAN servers and 100 megabit networks,
accessing a file from the server is about the same as accessing it from the
local drive -- plus you get good file-locking as mentioned above.

If this is the case, then you have a tougher problem which no software can
solve: changing the way a group of people are used to working. But it'll be sure
worth it.

HTH,
Simon

--
Remove NOSPAM from my address if replying.

File Management

Post by TIMS3 Tech Tea » Sun, 27 Aug 2000 10:25:56

Dick,

Our TIMS3 software does EXACTLY everything as you described, I couldn't have
written a better description if I tried.  OK, not quite EXACTLY...instead of
automatically checking in the file when you exit Microstation, we leave it
up to the user to perform the check in operation, in case the changes made
were not intended to be checked in to the server.  But files don't stayed
checked out by delinquent users for too long, because on a nightly basis we
run an automatic check in procedure, which scans all the workstations which
have files checked out but which were not yet checked in by the
'in-a-hurry-to-get-home' user...and to take it one step further, a second
pass in the routine will push down reference files from the server to the
client workstations if they are not up to date.

The client interface is so similar to Windows Explorer your users can learn
to use it within half a day.  You can have 'dumb' check out / check in as
the overall access control, or you can direct the software to integrate with
the NT domain, so that you get domain group access control on the projects
and documents on your file servers.  The product is simple yet robust, at a
budget price.

Please come to our website to have a look, www.tims3.com.  A non-expiring
evaluation version is available for you to download or you may request a
copy to be sent to you.  I can also arrange an online demo via the internet,
and let you drive the mouse and keyboard in PC Anywhere fashion.

Gary
TIMS3 Tech Team, 1-800-567-8918
TIMS3 Document Management Software, www.tims3.com

Quote:> Is there a simple program available that allows a user to check out a
> drawing file from a server, mark the file read only on the server so
> others can reference it but not change it, and download required
> reference files?  When exiting it would copy the updated file back to
> server, and remove read only attribute.  It could either leave the
> reference files on the local machine or delete them.  If it leaves them
> on the local machine it would check to see if they are the most up to
> date ones the next time they are needed for reference.  Have 20 Windows
> 98 machines running MS J and InRoads.  Server is NT.  We're having
> problems with more than one person working in the same drawing file.

File Management

Post by Bryan Sape » Sun, 27 Aug 2000 12:34:21

Does simple translate to inexpensive? I assume it does and if so, you should
look at ProjectBank and allow it to handle more than one person working in a
file at the same time. If you're a select user, the price is FREE. PB does a
number of other things as well, like reducing network traffic by only
copying the changes to a document and not the entire document. If you need
more info, contact your MVAR or drop me an email and I'll give you the info
you need.

--
Bryan Sapen
Integration Consultant

Quote:> Is there a simple program available that allows a user to check out a
> drawing file from a server, mark the file read only on the server so
> others can reference it but not change it, and download required
> reference files?  When exiting it would copy the updated file back to
> server, and remove read only attribute.  It could either leave the
> reference files on the local machine or delete them.  If it leaves them
> on the local machine it would check to see if they are the most up to
> date ones the next time they are needed for reference.  Have 20 Windows
> 98 machines running MS J and InRoads.  Server is NT.  We're having
> problems with more than one person working in the same drawing file.

File Management

Post by CADDCO » Tue, 29 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Try setting your user preference to turn off "immediately save design
changes", and let your users access the files directly from the server.
MicroStation then opens a local copy of the file, while reporting the
file open and read only for others.

You will need to "teach" the users to save the file (just like every
other application except MicroStation!)
--
Chuck Rheault (c_rheault[at]gpinet[dot]com)
Greenman-Pedersen, Inc.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. .BAK files ans Swap file management

For some reason my ACAD R13 DOS has stopped making BAK files and I
wonder if its because I may have changed a setting somewere. How can I
get ACAD to create BAK files again.

Also is there any way to tell Autocad to place swap files in my temp
directory? I just hate having my root directory cluttered with useless
files.

ACAD R13-C4 for DOS

Thanks Chris

2. Request: Pictures of older SGI's for archive.

3. Any ideas on handling files and directory structure for Solidworks file management?

4. bad libraries from HP-UX archive

5. File Management in ACADLt for '95

6. ListView questions

7. File management