Mult sessions r13 = YES!

Post by Darren You » Sat, 14 Jan 1995 03:31:00

  Ok, so there's been a lot of talk about AutoCAD r13/Windows not
supporting multiple sessions like it's predecessor r12 did. I've
since been told by Mike*ason of Autodesk in the ACAD fourm on
CompuServe, that r13 for Windows WILL support multiple sessions ONLY
if run under Windows NT. This is NOT the Windows NT version or r13
that is due out but just the regular Windows version running under
Windows NT. I'd be interested in hereing anything on this from those
of you who may have tried it.

Later,
Darren Young * Usenet Via InterNet

Y-------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Darren Young                | Minnesota CADWorks, Inc             |

| Vice President / Librarian  | Saint Cloud, Minnesota 56302-7293   |
| Central MN CADD Users Group | CAD Drafting/Customization/Training |
0,0-----------------------------------------------------------------X

 * RM 1.3 00623 *

------------------============<>=============-----------------
   Granite City Connection (612) 654-8372 28.8K 3 Lines

------------------============<>=============-----------------

Mult sessions r13 = YES!

Post by Bil » Wed, 18 Jan 1995 19:35:11

Re: Mult sessions r13 = YES!

Quote:>   Ok, so there's been a lot of talk about AutoCAD r13/Windows not
> supporting multiple sessions like it's predecessor r12 did. I've

AutoCAD R13 Windows uses the WIN32S "patch" which allows 32 bit processes to
run under the 16 bit version of Windows.  Windows NT is the "natural
environment" for AutoCAD R13 Windows thus it requires that WIN32S be
installed and running.  With Windows NT, you can have multiple sessions
running of AutoCAD and it works great!  But you must have Windows NT which
can be a "challenge" to set up and get working properly itself.

As a developer, we must use Windows NT to create ADS applications for AutoCAD
R13 and at first I was a little concerned about Win NT.  But experience has
shown that it is much better than regular Windows and offers more real
multi-tasking abilities.  A lot of "special" drivers don't work with it and
same with software that abuses that ability in Windows; but that's what
partitioning is for <G>!

If the multiple session need is great, the investment of money and effort to
get NT up and running is worth it.  Otherwise, hold off till Win 95 - it
should be a lot less expensive than NT - we hope!

l8r,(bill)

Mult sessions r13 = YES!

Post by Moen » Thu, 19 Jan 1995 13:48:39

Oh great just what I need as a System Administrator another OS to*
around with, NO Thanks ACAD R13 stays on the shelf. The boxes sure are
pretty though , what a joke.

Mike >:)

Mult sessions r13 = YES!

Post by ARi » Sat, 21 Jan 1995 17:25:38

>   Ok, so there's been a lot of talk about AutoCAD r13/Windows not
> supporting multiple sessions like it's predecessor r12 did. I've
> since been told by Mike*ason of Autodesk in the ACAD fourm on
> CompuServe, that r13 for Windows WILL support multiple sessions ONLY
> if run under Windows NT. This is NOT the Windows NT version or r13

It seems that this would be true for NT and OS2 because they can open up
seperate 16bit virtual machines, for instance under OS2 you just start up
seperate Program Manager Windows and then multiple sessions of any windows
program.  NT should be able to do the same.

1. Win95 R13 Multiple Dwgs in one session.

I believe that Acad r13 does not support the Mulitple Document Interface (I think
that is what it is called).  Therefore there is no way to open more than one
drawing in a session.  At least I haven't found (under NT) or heard of anyway to
do so ...

Miles

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ blah blah blah signature file blah blah blah ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. READ THIS ,

3. Print mult. drawings without opening drawings

4. WARNING! Lost PST file and Locale Settings Directory

5. Mult-Line Scale setting

6. AS400 FTP

7. weld symbol w/ mult. leaders?

8. Apollo 68040 Accelerator with 16M

9. mult dwgs

10. changing Mult Configs at one time

11. AutoCAD Certification yes<->no

12. Command-line options YES or NO?

13. Accelstar II Video Card (Yea or Nea)