Q: Generate 3DFaces or 3D Poly-Meshes from solids (with ACAD R13)

Q: Generate 3DFaces or 3D Poly-Meshes from solids (with ACAD R13)

Post by Reto Decurtins PeyerConsu » Sat, 27 Jul 1996 04:00:00

We use the translator "wcvt2pov  2.7 3b " to translate dxf-Files to
raw-Files. This translator supports a subset of the DXF Format
(3DFaces and 3D Poly-meshes).

How can we inside AutoCAD convert solids  to 3D Faces and 3D
Poly-meshes.

Thank you in advance

Reto

Q: Generate 3DFaces or 3D Poly-Meshes from solids (with ACAD R13)

Post by Lindsey » Sun, 28 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I created a little utility to convert solids to 3dfaces.  I hope this can
help you.

Good Luck

Post by chalic » Mon, 29 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> We use the translator "wcvt2pov  2.7 3b " to translate dxf-Files to
> raw-Files. This translator supports a subset of the DXF Format
> (3DFaces and 3D Poly-meshes).

> How can we inside AutoCAD convert solids  to 3D Faces and 3D
> Poly-meshes.

> Thank you in advance

> Reto

Exporting the file as a 3D Studio will generate faces for you.
But be careful!  Haw many faces do you want?
two system variables give you *some *  control, namely
VIEWRES and FACETRES.  The third factor is the zoom size of the solid
when you export it.  (and turn fast zooms off)

I suggest that you start with VEIWRES 50 FACETRES 0.5 and dont zoom in
too close on the object you are exporting!!  (sounds reversed doesn't
it but zooming in creates *more* faces)

These settings are affected by the size (more correctly, relative size)
of the objects you are exporting.  Others may have some suggestions,
but you'll have to experiment to get the best number of faces
 for your neeeds.

cheeers from australia

chalice

Post by Dennis Shi » Mon, 29 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>....and dont zoom in
>too close on the object you are exporting!!  (sounds reversed doesn't
>it but zooming in creates *more* faces)

Chalice;

This is a great tip!

Thanks ..... may I quote your article in our newsletter?

Dennis Shinn
Seattle AutoCAD User Group
SAUG-BBS [206] 644-7115 [PCGNet]9:517/215
    Anatech Systems
    Construction Detailing
    3D modeling support for the construction industry
        http://www.halcyon.com/jeeper

1. 3d solid objects conversion to poly mesh objects

Hello. I am having problems with exporting dgn files to .dxf in
Microstation V7.1. The problem is actually this: If i try to import
this dxf file to any well-known commercial package ( such as 3dstudio
max ) other than autocad, it doesnt seem to be the same as the
original ( i.e. it loses a lot of important information ). I suspect
that i am losing everything that is in a 3dsolid form, and for that
reason i ve tried to convert 3dsolid objects to polymeshes.
Is there a way i dont lose this information?

Any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks a lot
Andrew

2. Cisco 2621 VPN - CPU very high, will the hardware boards help? Have you used this solution?

3. How to generate a mesh from a solid?

4. Distributing MS Access apps with ODBC against Oracle

5. 3D MESH to 3D SOLID?

6. Recovery Console and fixboot

7. Looking for 3D (surfaces or solids) military drawings in ACAD R13....

8. pthread_sigmask() or sigprocmask()?

9. Mesh generator for R13 ACIS solids

10. Convert polyline(mesh) to 3d-solid???

11. 3D Solids Wire-Frame and Meshes

12. DXF export of solids/mesh/3d faces?

13. Extracting 3dfaces/meshes from 3dsolids