Hidden line removal of 3d files

Post by Mark » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

Hidden line removal of 3d files

1. The exportation of visible edges, in Microstation 95 with the Exact
method, is time consuming and it's quite impossible to use this method with
large and complex files (I have experienced more than a week cpu usage for
exporting a detailed 3d roof). The Fast method is quicker, but the result is
a low quality hln file that needs a lot of time to correct (even using a
great amount of memory and the highest precision) Is there any improvement
in Microstation SE (vs. Microstation 95) in the management (more speed and
quality) of hidden line removal?

2.Performing the hidden line removal, complex surfaces are often translated
into b-splines curves. These entities are very difficult to modify in the 2d
generated file (that always needs corrections) and don't seem to be affected
by deldup32 or the remove duplicate lines command of Triforma (the last
affecting only lines). Is there some way to translate them into lines or
complex shapes without losing informations? I have tried the drop b-spline
command but I lose data.

Thank's in advance for any advice, Mark.

Hidden line removal of 3d files

Post by Doug Perss » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

Mark,

The move to SE is definitely worth it; at least as far as your hiddenline
problems go.  Visible Edges was completely rewritten with SE.  The Exact
method is actually faster than Fast method.  Additionally, many of the quality
problems have been addressed as well:  no more dulplicate elements, circular
objects now render out as circles and ellipses (with snappable centers!) so
hardly any b-splines.

>Hidden line removal of 3d files

>1. The exportation of visible edges, in Microstation 95 with the Exact
>method, is time consuming and it's quite impossible to use this method with
>large and complex files (I have experienced more than a week cpu usage for
>exporting a detailed 3d roof). The Fast method is quicker, but the result is
>a low quality hln file that needs a lot of time to correct (even using a
>great amount of memory and the highest precision) Is there any improvement
>in Microstation SE (vs. Microstation 95) in the management (more speed and
>quality) of hidden line removal?

>2.Performing the hidden line removal, complex surfaces are often translated
>into b-splines curves. These entities are very difficult to modify in the 2d
>generated file (that always needs corrections) and don't seem to be affected
>by deldup32 or the remove duplicate lines command of Triforma (the last
>affecting only lines). Is there some way to translate them into lines or
>complex shapes without losing informations? I have tried the drop b-spline
>command but I lose data.

>Thank's in advance for any advice, Mark.

For email replies, remove the ".junk"
from my email address.
For Ustn 3D Info Visit the M3D site at
http://www.teleport.com/~dpersson

Hidden line removal of 3d files

Post by Mark Kadel » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi Mark,

I definitely agree with Doug on this. Starting with SE, you get
manageable elements which aren't segmented all over the place.
Deldup doesn't do anything because, you have numerous 'tiny' line or
spline segments which make up a shape and these are not duplicate
elements, just a whole bunch of straw. If you can, use SE or above
and you'll see what hln should have been in the first place.

This said, make sure you get a good (i.e. xx.41) version of SE as
not all of them are equal.
HTH

--
Mark Kadela