c4a or c5 Next????

Post by G Raje » Wed, 17 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>Does anyone out there have any idea if c4a or c5 will be the next thing
>AutoCAD will see out of AutoDesk?
>I am desperately in need of having the c4 bug with autosave fixed.  That
>is the only thing holding me back from turning c4 loose on the masses.
>It seems to be an otherwise solid upgrade from c3a.
>Thanks in advance,

Can you elaborate the problem you are having with AutoSAVE in R13c4 , So that I
can test it out here.

G.Rajesh
//Autodesk Product Support on the Internet//

c4a or c5 Next????

Post by Brian Pop » Fri, 19 Apr 1996 04:00:00

(G Rajesh), the following was written:

>> Does anyone out there have any idea if c4a or c5 will be the next
>> thing AutoCAD will see out of AutoDesk?

>> I am desperately in need of having the c4 bug with autosave fixed.
>> That is the only thing holding me back from turning c4 loose on the
>> masses. It seems to be an otherwise solid upgrade from c3a.

>> Thanks in advance,

> Can you elaborate the problem you are having with AutoSAVE in R13c4 ,
> So that I can test it out here.

> G.Rajesh
> //Autodesk Product Support on the Internet//

I will gladly elaborate on this bug.

I am currently running c4 on a p133/32MB connected to a Novell 3.12
network.  AutoCad is local to my machine, the drawing files are on the
fileserver.

I would expect that AutoCAD would put the Autosave file in the drawing
directory as it has up to c4.  But this is what happens:

When it is time for autosave, first I get a message that the save file
is trying to be written to an invalid directory so it is being saved to
the temporary files directory.  This directory is on my local hard
drive, not on the network.  If my machine crashes, I cannot retrieve the
sv$ file from the network.  This bug affects the security of my work.

Secondly, after the .sv$ file has been erroneously written to my local
hard drive, I can wait approx. 3-10 seconds and then my hard drive light
turns on for another 5-10 seconds while another file (I guess) is being
written to the hard drive.  There is no notification on my screen as to
what is happening.  Additionally, the machine is frozen while this
file(?) is being written.  If I manage to move the digitizer puck during
this file write, then it seems to take even longer to finish.  This bug
affects my productivity and mental stability.

This same bug(s) also occur on another p90 using c4.

Is there any chance at all that the .sv$ is not carrying the correct
file permissions in respect to the novell system much the same as the
current "read only" bug with novell (see p94. of the May CADence
magazine).

Hoping you can help,

--

Brian Poppe
The Henry Klein Partnership

c4a or c5 Next????

Post by Miles Constabl » Fri, 19 Apr 1996 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:> > Can you elaborate the problem you are having with AutoSAVE in R13c4 ,
> > So that I can test it out here.

> > G.Rajesh
> > //Autodesk Product Support on the Internet//

> I will gladly elaborate on this bug.[snip]
> When it is time for autosave, first I get a message that the save file
> is trying to be written to an invalid directory so it is being saved to
> the temporary files directory.[snip]
> Brian Poppe

 I too have noticed a similar problem.
 I have configured autosave to save to the directory temporary directory on my
local hard drive (d:\temp).
 I have had Autocad - autosave tell me that the directory is invalid, and then
promptly save to that same directory ...

--

   sometimes i make spelling errors, sometimes I dom't
usually i make grammar errors, and i never proof my posts

c4a or c5 Next????

Post by Lorne Tontegod » Sat, 20 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> [snip]

> > > Can you elaborate the problem you are having with AutoSAVE in R13c4 ,
> > > So that I can test it out here.

> > > G.Rajesh
> > > //Autodesk Product Support on the Internet//

> > I will gladly elaborate on this bug.[snip]
> > When it is time for autosave, first I get a message that the save file
> > is trying to be written to an invalid directory so it is being saved to
> > the temporary files directory.[snip]
> > Brian Poppe

>  I too have noticed a similar problem.
>  I have configured autosave to save to the directory temporary directory on my
> local hard drive (d:\temp).
>  I have had Autocad - autosave tell me that the directory is invalid, and then
> promptly save to that same directory ...

> --

>    sometimes i make spelling errors, sometimes I dom't
> usually i make grammar errors, and i never proof my posts

Me Too! I've looked through everything I can find to fix it but I can't.
--
Lorne Tontegode
          Ideas in Motion

          http://www.interlog.com/~ideas
***Drop by my WWW Page for a visit***
       ***Always changing***

c4a or c5 Next????

Post by Dennis Shi » Sat, 20 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>When it is time for autosave, first I get a message that the save file
>is trying to be written to an invalid directory so it is being saved to
>the temporary files directory.

I can confirm the error message that AutoCAD gives when writing the autosave
file. It none the less gets written to the local directory. Fortunately I've
not yet had to try to reclaim the .sv$ file to know whether or not it's valid.

Dennis Shinn
Seattle AutoCAD User Group
SAUG-BBS [206] 644-7115 PCGNet 9:517/215

c4a or c5 Next????

Post by Dennis Shi » Sun, 21 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> I have had Autocad - autosave tell me that the directory is invalid, and then
>promptly save to that same directory ...

Doing a little spring cleaning today (I live in the norther hemisphere) I find
all sorts of .sv$ , undo, redo, acis this and that ,,,,, litereally TONS of
*that have been collecting since installing c4 - all stuff I would assume
should be cleaned up on a graceful exit from the program. Which is being left
lying around presumably due to this bug in not recognizing the temp path or
something.

Autodesk .... if you're really listening, what the hell is going on? It's
obviously not an isolated case.

Post by Rod Gree » Wed, 24 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> Doing a little spring cleaning today (I live in the norther hemisphere) I find
> all sorts of .sv$ , undo, redo, acis this and that ,,,,, litereally TONS of
> *that have been collecting since installing c4 - all stuff I would assume
> should be cleaned up on a graceful exit from the program. Which is being left
> lying around presumably due to this bug in not recognizing the temp path or
> something.

> Autodesk .... if you're really listening, what the hell is going on? It's
> obviously not an isolated case.

> Dennis Shinn
> Seattle AutoCAD User Group
> SAUG-BBS [206] 644-7115 PCGNet 9:517/215

No Dennis it is not an isolated case!!

I've been having the same difficulty with AutCAD C4 autosaving to the
temp directory.  everything is left in the ACADR13\WIN directory as temp
files but the *.BAK which remains in the working Directory.

It's lots of fun deleting temp files on occation....is it not?

Put aside the sarcasim, I have to show 60 users at our May meeting the
pirks of C4!!!
--
Rod. G. Greer
President:  R. G. Greer Design Inc.

1. C4a or C5 next????

Well, it's been a couple of months, I'll pose the same question again.

Does anyone know if ADesk will release c4a or c5 next???  I refuse to
turn the otherwise solid c4 release on the other hopeless masses in my
office until the AutoSave bug is fixed.  It is still trying to save the
sv$ file to a directory that it seems to believe is invalid.  Others
have responded with similar stories.  The only voices lacking at the
roundtable seem to reside in Sausilito.  Cristal Moreno, where are
you???  G. Rashesh has given the problem a shot.  Kinda missed the mark,
but a shot nonetheless.

I'm still holding out for "Best Fit" in the dimensions to work like it
did in r12.  I gave up on holding my breath, blue just isn't my color.

Thanks in advance,

--

Brian Poppe
The Henry Klein Partnership

2. Please help me out!!! This thing stopped me for a while.

3. c4a or c5 Next????

4. Gateway, the Amiga, & the Mac

5. Crosshair freezes in R13 c4a NLS

6. Problem in mysql (Help)