Degree = %%d NOT!

Post by Mr. V. Kelly Bell » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

We received a drawing that contained (3) unfamiliar .shx files and
later after installing those .shx files from the drawing's author, the
degree symbol is still reduced to a fractional display. What can be
done to correct this?

Any reply appreciated - remove 'death2spam' in reply address.
Thank you very much.

Degree = %%d NOT!

Post by Ian A. Whi » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>We received a drawing that contained (3) unfamiliar .shx files and
>later after installing those .shx files from the drawing's author, the
>degree symbol ? is still reduced to a fractional display. What can be
>done to correct this?

The degree symbol is defined at ASCII 126 in an AutoCAD font.
Actually, the "user" area starts at ASCII 130.  It looks like someone
has altered a font file and simply ignored this requirement.  The only
way around this is to define another style which uses a font you know
will produce the degree symbol.

--

Regards,

Ian A. White, CPEng
WAI Engineering
Sydney 2000
Australia

Ph:  +61 418 203 229
Fax: +61 2 9622 0450

Junk e-mail will be returned, as is, to the sender's host system.

Degree = %%d NOT!

Post by Ian A. Whi » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>>We received a drawing that contained (3) unfamiliar .shx files and
>>later after installing those .shx files from the drawing's author, the
>>degree symbol ? is still reduced to a fractional display. What can be
>>done to correct this?

>The degree symbol is defined at ASCII 126 in an AutoCAD font.

Just noticed a typo.  it should be ASCII 127.

--

Regards,

Ian A. White, CPEng
WAI Engineering
Sydney 2000
Australia

Ph:  +61 418 203 229
Fax: +61 2 9622 0450

Junk e-mail will be returned, as is, to the sender's host system.

Degree = %%d NOT!

Post by David W. Edwar » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

says...

Quote:

> We received a drawing that contained (3) unfamiliar .shx files and
> later after installing those .shx files from the drawing's author, the
> degree symbol is still reduced to a fractional display. What can be
> done to correct this?

> Any reply appreciated - remove 'death2spam' in reply address.
> Thank you very much.

You need to get the original fonts from the sender of the files.

David W. Edwards
Dave Edwards Consulting
www.tcfonts.com

Degree = %%d NOT!

Post by Thomas Ezel » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I am not 100% sure about this, but it has been my experience that the
degree symbol (%%d) will only work with the txt.shx font.  If you convert
the style to txt.shx, the degree symbol should come back.

Quote:

> We received a drawing that contained (3) unfamiliar .shx files and
> later after installing those .shx files from the drawing's author, the
> degree symbol is still reduced to a fractional display. What can be
> done to correct this?

> Any reply appreciated - remove 'death2spam' in reply address.
> Thank you very much.

Degree = %%d NOT!

Post by Mr. V. Kelly Bell » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Thank you for your kind reply.

The author of the drawing is able to use the font and the degree
symbol... but so far I haven't gotten it work on my system.

>I am not 100% sure about this, but it has been my experience that the
>degree symbol (%%d) will only work with the txt.shx font.  If you convert
>the style to txt.shx, the degree symbol should come back.

>> We received a drawing that contained (3) unfamiliar .shx files and
>> later after installing those .shx files from the drawing's author, the
>> degree symbol is still reduced to a fractional display. What can be
>> done to correct this?

>> Any reply appreciated - remove 'death2spam' in reply address.
>> Thank you very much.

Any reply appreciated - remove 'death2spam' in reply address.
Thank you very much.

Degree = %%d NOT!

Post by Marshall E. Caud » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I recently ran across the same problem with a font style called
architxt.shx and AutoCAD r14.  The original drawing was done with
AutoCAD r10 and an old version of this font (cir. 1991).  Once we
updated the font (cir. 1993) everything displayed as it should have.

>We received a drawing that contained (3) unfamiliar .shx files and
>later after installing those .shx files from the drawing's author, the
>degree symbol is still reduced to a fractional display. What can be
>done to correct this?

>Any reply appreciated - remove 'death2spam' in reply address.
>Thank you very much.

Marshall Caudle
Architect
Monroe, NC

Degree = %%d NOT!

Post by Ian A. Whi » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I recently ran across the same problem with a font style called
>architxt.shx and AutoCAD r14.  The original drawing was done with
>AutoCAD r10 and an old version of this font (cir. 1991).  Once we
>updated the font (cir. 1993) everything displayed as it should have.

Part of this may have to do with the way font files are defined.
Originally, SHX files had ASCII 127 as the degree symbol, ASCII 128 as
the plus/minus symbol, and ASCII 129 as the diameter symbol.  Then at
R12, there were additional definitions added in the font file as

Diameter_Symbol
Plus_Or_Minus_Sign
Degree_Sign

I do know that having fonts with these characters defined and not
those as ASCII 127, ASCII 128, and ASCII 129, can cause some problems.
This is why the fonts appear correctly on the original drawing and
system, and were OK when the appropriate version of the font was
loaded on your system.

--

Regards,

Ian A. White, CPEng
WAI Engineering
Sydney 2000
Australia

Ph:  +61 418 203 229
Fax: +61 2 9622 0450

Junk e-mail will be returned, as is, to the sender's host system.

Degree = %%d NOT!

Post by Mr. V. Kelly Bell » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for the reply. He has sent the .shx files that he used. He has
no .shp files if that is what you meant by "original fonts"

>says...

>> We received a drawing that contained (3) unfamiliar .shx files and
>> later after installing those .shx files from the drawing's author, the
>> degree symbol is still reduced to a fractional display. What can be
>> done to correct this?

>> Any reply appreciated - remove 'death2spam' in reply address.
>> Thank you very much.

>You need to get the original fonts from the sender of the files.

>David W. Edwards
>Dave Edwards Consulting
>www.tcfonts.com

Any reply appreciated - remove 'death2spam' in reply address.
Thank you very much.

Degree = %%d NOT!

Post by Mr. V. Kelly Bell » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for the reply. The original .shx files he sent. He hasn't any
shp files if that is what you meant.

>says...

>> We received a drawing that contained (3) unfamiliar .shx files and
>> later after installing those .shx files from the drawing's author, the
>> degree symbol is still reduced to a fractional display. What can be
>> done to correct this?

>> Any reply appreciated - remove 'death2spam' in reply address.
>> Thank you very much.

>You need to get the original fonts from the sender of the files.

>David W. Edwards
>Dave Edwards Consulting
>www.tcfonts.com

Any reply appreciated - remove 'death2spam' in reply address.
Thank you very much.

Degree = %%d NOT!

Post by Mr. V. Kelly Bell » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

BINGO!  That's the culprit (at least one of the three related fonts)!

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

How did you go about "updating" the architxt.shx file... or where
might you point me to get such an update?

The other two fonts are archquik.shx and archtitl.shx

>I recently ran across the same problem with a font style called
>architxt.shx and AutoCAD r14.  The original drawing was done with
>AutoCAD r10 and an old version of this font (cir. 1991).  Once we
>updated the font (cir. 1993) everything displayed as it should have.

>>We received a drawing that contained (3) unfamiliar .shx files and
>>later after installing those .shx files from the drawing's author, the
>>degree symbol is still reduced to a fractional display. What can be
>>done to correct this?

>>Any reply appreciated - remove 'death2spam' in reply address.
>>Thank you very much.

>Marshall Caudle
>Architect
>Monroe, NC

Any reply appreciated - remove 'death2spam' in reply address.
Thank you very much.

Degree = %%d NOT!

Post by David W. Edwar » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

says...

Quote:

> BINGO!  That's the culprit (at least one of the three related fonts)!

> Thank you very much for your kind reply.

> How did you go about "updating" the architxt.shx file... or where
> might you point me to get such an update?

> The other two fonts are archquik.shx and archtitl.shx

It's a pretty easy matter to decompile the SHXs into SHPs. You can use
SHX2SHP found on www.cadalog.com or www.cadsyst.com. All you then need to
do is renumber the characters to the correct values. Your ACAD docs
should help you decipher the characters codes. The ASCII values of the
characters start with an asterisk. If the value after the * is an zero,
is in hexadecimal, but thats easy to convert. Windows calculator will do
hex2dec conversions.

David W. Edwards
Dave Edwards Consulting
www.tcfonts.com

1. Why degree symbol not display in MicroStation/J under Win2000?

Hi, everyone

I had designed an application that display a angle's degree in a
dialogbox. I use the MDL function 'mdlString_fromAngle' to convert a
double angle(in radian) to a string angle(in degree) plus a degree
symbol() and then display this string in a dialogbox. When I in
MicroStation/J under Windows 98 (Chinese Version), it is display
correctly. But when I move this application to MicroStation/J under
Windows 2000 Server(Chinese Version), this degree symbol not display.
What happen?

Foo.

2. A question about undersampling and A/Ds

3. Degree symbol not show in ACADLT2000

4. Fibre Channel drives and SPARC 10s/20s

5. Moving objects only can be done in 90 degree increments.

6. RTjpeg

7. Guide for univ degree

8. DNS Server not responding to queries

9. Degree Dimstyle Precison

10. autocad isometrics 45 degree

11. 45 degree paths in Virtuoso

12. LEDIT generated data snaps to 90 degree increments when Streamed Into Cadence

13. Degrees, Minutes & Seconds - Key in ??