New Web -vector formats (SVG, X3D), Bentley aware ?

New Web -vector formats (SVG, X3D), Bentley aware ?

Post by Timo Suomin » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi there,

Received following e-mail and got curious if Bentley is involved/aware of
the new "web" -vector formats, because they ain't listed in the
development list.

Regards,
Timo Suominen

---

Groups push ahead with vector graphics advances
The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) and Web3D Consortium this
week moved forward on two emerging technologies that could
potentially revolutionize images and multimedia on all future
Web pages. The W3C released the working draft of Scalable
Vector Graphics (SVG), and the Web3D Consortium began working
on Extensible 3D (X3D), which componentizes many of the
features of the Virtual Reality Modeling Language (VRML) and
integrates them with XML. The goal of SVG is to create a
vendor-neutral, cross-platform format for vector graphics,
according to the W3C. Most user run-ins with vector graphics
online have been with Macromedia's Flash file format. SVG is
being jointly developed by Adobe, Apple, Autodesk, Corel,
Hewlett-Packard, IBM, Inso, Macromedia, Microsoft, Netscape
Communications, Quark, RAL Communications, Sun Microsystems,
and Visio.

http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?990212.eivector.htm

--

Tampere University of Technology -------- Internet: http://www.tut.fi
CAD/CAM Association (CCY) ------- Internet: http://www.vtt.fi/cic/ccy

New Web -vector formats (SVG, X3D), Bentley aware ?

Post by Mark Kadel » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Are you kidding us? We, MicroStation users, don't need simple
data sharing solutions and we don't understand the complex
language with which you speak. Is this something like a
SELECT Server Deployment Enabler?

I don't think we have to worry about these standards because, we
already have Model Server Publisher User Show File To Client Enabler.

> Hi there,

> Received following e-mail and got curious if Bentley is involved/aware of
> the new "web" -vector formats, because they ain't listed in the
> development list.

> Regards,
> Timo Suominen

> ---

> Groups push ahead with vector graphics advances
> The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) and Web3D Consortium this
> week moved forward on two emerging technologies that could
> potentially revolutionize images and multimedia on all future
> Web pages. The W3C released the working draft of Scalable
> Vector Graphics (SVG), and the Web3D Consortium began working
> on Extensible 3D (X3D), which componentizes many of the
> features of the Virtual Reality Modeling Language (VRML) and
> integrates them with XML. The goal of SVG is to create a
> vendor-neutral, cross-platform format for vector graphics,
> according to the W3C. Most user run-ins with vector graphics
> online have been with Macromedia's Flash file format. SVG is
> being jointly developed by Adobe, Apple, Autodesk, Corel,
> Hewlett-Packard, IBM, Inso, Macromedia, Microsoft, Netscape
> Communications, Quark, RAL Communications, Sun Microsystems,
> and Visio.

> http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?990212.eivector.htm

> --

> Tampere University of Technology -------- Internet: http://www.tut.fi
> CAD/CAM Association (CCY) ------- Internet: http://www.vtt.fi/cic/ccy

--
In case you experience trouble replying to my message, you

(the X kindly remove)

Mark Kadela
DigiGraph Technical Graphics Inc.
http://www.dgraph.com

New Web -vector formats (SVG, X3D), Bentley aware ?

Post by Timo Suomin » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi.

Quote:> Are you kidding us? We, MicroStation users, don't need simple
> data sharing solutions and we don't understand the complex
> language with which you speak. Is this something like a
> SELECT Server Deployment Enabler?

Nope, it has nothing to do SELECT Server. It's just new format trying to
get "de-facto" for web-publishing as vector-data. And I think that we
really do need the data sharing functionality even more in the future -
ProjectBank gives nice possibilities on this. And why then there is
included export to VRML, CGM... print to WMF, EMF... ;)

Regards,
Timo Suominen

--

Tampere University of Technology -------- Internet: http://www.tut.fi
CAD/CAM Association (CCY) ------- Internet: http://www.vtt.fi/cic/ccy

New Web -vector formats (SVG, X3D), Bentley aware ?

Post by Mark Kadel » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi Timo,

I was just kidding;-) I am looking around and noticing all of
these new developments. It is funny, BSI were among the first
to talk about engineering data SHARING but, are on the right track
to finishing dead last with REALISTIC solutions.

> Hi.

> > Are you kidding us? We, MicroStation users, don't need simple
> > data sharing solutions and we don't understand the complex
> > language with which you speak. Is this something like a
> > SELECT Server Deployment Enabler?

> Nope, it has nothing to do SELECT Server. It's just new format trying to
> get "de-facto" for web-publishing as vector-data. And I think that we
> really do need the data sharing functionality even more in the future -
> ProjectBank gives nice possibilities on this. And why then there is
> included export to VRML, CGM... print to WMF, EMF... ;)

> Regards,
> Timo Suominen

> --

> Tampere University of Technology -------- Internet: http://www.tut.fi
> CAD/CAM Association (CCY) ------- Internet: http://www.vtt.fi/cic/ccy

--
In case you experience trouble replying to my message, you

(the X kindly remove)

Mark Kadela
DigiGraph Technical Graphics Inc.
http://www.dgraph.com

1. Bentley's Web Site - New URLs...

Bentley's Web Site - New URLs...

If you experience difficulties directly  accessing (typing in the full URL
or address) pages at Bentley's Web Site the problem, most likely, can be
fixed by replacing:

http://www.bentley.com/pub/"ADDRESS"

with:

ftp://ftp.bentley.com/pub/"ADDRESS"

Bentley  has separated the FTP server from the  Web server, which is why
some files/pages need to be access differently.  If you have any
difficulties please let me know.

- Bill

 ============== One of "The People Behind MicroStation" ==============
 Bill Rowley                                     Phone: (610) 458-5000
 Bentley Systems                                   Fax: (610) 458-1060

2. compilation problems with 4.1.10a on Tru64 5.1

3. SVG Format

4. How do I Drag an Interface as a Stereotyped Class Shape?

5. DWF, SVG - new plot driver

6. Converting tabs to spaces

7. WEB Engineers - new UNIX server, WEB, SQL, C Mid-Peninsula Silicon Valley

8. Gvpscsi_Help_Needed

9. New Web page (links on companies Webs, databooks, FAQs, etc...)

10. convert DWG to other vector formats

11. tracing bitmaps and saving in vector format

12. Single Vector Format Plot Driver

13. Vector file formats, text, and curves?