Hidden line removal function

Post by Mark Wad » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Can anyone tell me how to use the hidden line removal function in AutoCAD to
full effect?

Hidden line removal function

Post by Paul Turvil » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

It has only one purpose: to hide lines in 3D objects that wouldn't be
seen if the object were "real." Not sure what you mean by "use it to full
effect" since it's automatic when you do a Hide command, set viewports to
HidePlot, etc.
__

Quote:> Can anyone tell me how to use the hidden line removal function in
AutoCAD to
> full effect?

Hidden line removal function

Post by Trey Monsou » Sun, 13 Feb 2000 04:00:00

here's a clip from the help files that pertains to plotting hidden line
views...

To hide lines on solid objects, AutoCAD creates a mesh image of the object.
If the DISPSILH system variable is set to on (1), AutoCAD suppresses drawing
the mesh and only draws silhouette lines of the solid.

just my $.02,
    Trey

Post by Dennis Shi » Sun, 13 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Can anyone tell me how to use the hidden line removal function in AutoCAD to
>full effect?

Be a little more specific about the intent of "full effect". In order
for the HIDE command to have any effect in the drawing you have to be
using object types that provide surfaces or surface properties. These
include, but are not limited to, 3D faces, meshes, solids and even
lines, polylines and such with thickness. Then, obviously, some
drawing objects have to be "behind" others. In other words, it begs
the use of 3D modeling.

In AutoCAD 2000 there exists the functionality of "real time" hidden
line removal meaning that once you set the "shademode" system variable
to an appropriate value, the model/drawing will remain displayed with
hidden lines removed, shaded or which ever display option you've opted
for.

Plotting is a completely separate issue from on screen display of
hidden lines. Which now that I re-read that sentence makes absolutely
no sense at all: how can you "display hidden lines" if they're hidden?
Kinda like falling between the cracks.

O-well, time for bed.

Hidden line removal function

Post by Alex Januszkiewic » Sun, 13 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Just guessing, but maybe he means possibility of creation of precise flat
drawing with hidden line removed (that's what people migrating from
Microstation are looking for). This is the only feature that I like in
Microstation. And it's available to programmers via MDL.
I can't believe Autodesk talents cannot come up with something like that, I
was asking for that for the past ten years. The best they can do is the low
resolution hidden line 2D in DXB or DWF format. Many companies that want to
go full steam 3D are stalled by inability to produce from 3D model 2D
PRECISE deliverables required by client's document control.

--
                          Alex Januszkiewicz
 Intelcad Systems and 911 DWG Recovery Services

> It has only one purpose: to hide lines in 3D objects that wouldn't be
> seen if the object were "real." Not sure what you mean by "use it to full
> effect" since it's automatic when you do a Hide command, set viewports to
> HidePlot, etc.
> __

> > Can anyone tell me how to use the hidden line removal function in
> AutoCAD to
> > full effect?

1. problem in printing hidden line removal

Hi,

I've created an 3D object with some "spline" feature.  It's OK for me to
do the hidden line removal and rendering on screen.  However, when I
output this file to printer, most of lines are disappeared.  Situation is
similar in print preview mode.  What's the problem?  Any suggestion?  Pls

Thanks!

Rgds,
Joe

Joseph Chun-kong Chan, 3?
    Mechanical and Automation Engineering, CUHK (M.Phil. Alumni)
"Living by faith does not mean living with applause; living by faith does not
 mean playing on the winnning team; living by faith demands readiness to live
 by what cannot be seen or controlled or predicted"
                                                Run with the Horses
                                                Eugene H. Peterson, 1983

 Phone: (852) 2422-0422                Paging: (852) 7478-4491
 Fax: (852) 2422-2511                  Mobile: (852) 9216-4705
                                       ICQ UIN: 15036322

2. True Type Fonts

3. Help! Hidden Line removal in Mechanical Desktop.

4. FS: REX 256K with Docking Station $30

5. R13C4 HIDDEN LINE REMOVAL PROBLEM

6. USR/3COM Sportster Voice Modems

7. Exact Hidden Line Removal

8. OT Stroll down memory lane

9. Programmatic hidden line removal...

10. Hidden line removal

11. Hidden line removal of 3d files

12. Call for Beta Sites (Hidden Line Removal)

13. Hidden Line Removal and object intersections?