DXF Question

Post by Bob Norri » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I've been asked by some of our suppliers to send them a 3D DXF file
(they can't read IGES) To my knowledge DXF came about via Autcad for
drawing transaltion and has only EVER been 2D. Anyone throw some light
on this.

A.R.Norris
Fujitsu Telecommunications Europe Limited.
PHONE - 0121-717-6283
FAX   - 0121-717-6018

DXF Question

Post by Dave Ruig » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I've been asked by some of our suppliers to send them a 3D DXF file
> (they can't read IGES) To my knowledge DXF came about via Autcad for
> drawing transaltion and has only EVER been 2D. Anyone throw some light
> on this.

> A.R.Norris
> Fujitsu Telecommunications Europe Limited.
> PHONE - 0121-717-6283
> FAX   - 0121-717-6018

One could question the quality of the 3D data, but DXF to my
knowledge has supported 3D for a while. I have used it many
times to send/receive 3D data to vendors/clients who don't have
IGES, from host systems such as Pro, Euclid, and Alias, all
with acceptable results.

Dave

DXF Question

Post by George Leonar » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hey Bob:

For what its worth, CADKEY 7.0 and a probably few revs before can output
3D DXF.  It wasn't until I stepped into the world of PTC that I had ever
heard of the 2D limitation.  I imagine if CADKEY can do it, then
AutoDesk's ACAD can as well.

G. Leonard

> Hi,

> I've been asked by some of our suppliers to send them a 3D DXF file
> (they can't read IGES) To my knowledge DXF came about via Autcad for
> drawing transaltion and has only EVER been 2D. Anyone throw some light
> on this.

> A.R.Norris
> Fujitsu Telecommunications Europe Limited.
> PHONE - 0121-717-6283
> FAX   - 0121-717-6018

| George Leonard, CAE Support Engineer |
| Novellus Systems, Inc.,              |
| (408) 953-4705,                      |

| http://www.earthlink.net/~gleonard   |

DXF Question

Post by Mark Davidso » Thu, 20 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> > Hi,

> > I've been asked by some of our suppliers to send them a 3D DXF file
> > (they can't read IGES) To my knowledge DXF came about via Autcad for
> > drawing transaltion and has only EVER been 2D. Anyone throw some light
> > on this.

> > A.R.Norris
> > Fujitsu Telecommunications Europe Limited.
> > PHONE - 0121-717-6283
> > FAX   - 0121-717-6018

> One could question the quality of the 3D data, but DXF to my
> knowledge has supported 3D for a while. I have used it many
> times to send/receive 3D data to vendors/clients who don't have
> IGES, from host systems such as Pro, Euclid, and Alias, all
> with acceptable results.

> Dave

How exactly have you gotten 3D DXF into or out of Pro/E since
it does not directly support 3D DXF? Did you you a translator
of some sort?

Mark

DXF Question

Post by Eddie Partit » Thu, 20 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi Bob,

In our office we have used the following technique....
In proE we will create a drawing and add 3d views to the drawing.
We then export the drawing out in DXF format and then bring the DXF file
into AutoCAD.  Note that the imported file is usually a block and has to
be exploded in order to modify it.

If you need further help, please contact me directly
Hope this helps you

Take care

Eddie

> Hi,

> I've been asked by some of our suppliers to send them a 3D DXF file
> (they can't read IGES) To my knowledge DXF came about via Autcad for
> drawing transaltion and has only EVER been 2D. Anyone throw some light
> on this.

> A.R.Norris
> Fujitsu Telecommunications Europe Limited.
> PHONE - 0121-717-6283
> FAX   - 0121-717-6018

DXF Question

Post by Dale Bremne » Sat, 22 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Hi Bob,

> In our office we have used the following technique....
> In proE we will create a drawing and add 3d views to the drawing.
> We then export the drawing out in DXF format and then bring the DXF file
> into AutoCAD.  Note that the imported file is usually a block and has to
> be exploded in order to modify it.

> If you need further help, please contact me directly
> Hope this helps you

> Take care

> Eddie

> > Hi,

> > I've been asked by some of our suppliers to send them a 3D DXF file
> > (they can't read IGES) To my knowledge DXF came about via Autcad for
> > drawing transaltion and has only EVER been 2D. Anyone throw some light
> > on this.

> > A.R.Norris
> > Fujitsu Telecommunications Europe Limited.
> > PHONE - 0121-717-6283
> > FAX   - 0121-717-6018

DXF also handles 3D wireframe.

DXF Question

Post by Dave Ruig » Sat, 22 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> > > Hi,

> > > I've been asked by some of our suppliers to send them a 3D DXF file
> > > (they can't read IGES) To my knowledge DXF came about via Autcad for
> > > drawing transaltion and has only EVER been 2D. Anyone throw some light
> > > on this.

> > > ******************************************
> > > A.R.Norris
> > > Fujitsu Telecommunications Europe Limited.
> > > PHONE - 0121-717-6283
> > > FAX   - 0121-717-6018

> > > ******************************************

> > One could question the quality of the 3D data, but DXF to my
> > knowledge has supported 3D for a while. I have used it many
> > times to send/receive 3D data to vendors/clients who don't have
> > IGES, from host systems such as Pro, Euclid, and Alias, all
> > with acceptable results.

> > Dave

> How exactly have you gotten 3D DXF into or out of Pro/E since
> it does not directly support 3D DXF? Did you you a translator
> of some sort?

> Mark

I never said I did, really;+}, I use IGES in/out to Alias or some other
app that has a DXF out option, and as another poster mentions,
it becomes 3D wireframe.

Dave

DXF Question

Post by hendsbe » Tue, 01 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I've been asked by some of our suppliers to send them a 3D DXF file
> (they can't read IGES) To my knowledge DXF came about via Autcad for
> drawing transaltion and has only EVER been 2D. Anyone throw some light
> on this.

> A.R.Norris
> Fujitsu Telecommunications Europe Limited.
> PHONE - 0121-717-6283
> FAX   - 0121-717-6018

True DXF started out as 2D, now there is 3D capabilities with DXF.
However the 3D data can only be a collection of polygons.
The main question is what does your suppliers need to do with the
data?  Do they need a surface representation or wireframe info.
Both will be cumbersome to query in dxf format.  IGES is the cleanest
data set at this point in time.  There are inexpensive software
solutions
for IGES interrogation. (SolidView, Rhino 3D the list grows each day).

1. DXF questions

I'm trying to write a DXF-Exportfilter for our traffic model POLYDROM.
The two questions are:

- is there a possibility to indicate that a polyline is filled?
- AutoCAD seems to have a palette of 256 fixed colors. Is there a tabel
with the RGB-values of these colors?

Regards
  Christoph

--
  Christoph Ruch, dipl. Inf. Ing. EPFL
  Technopark, Morgenstr. 129, CH-3018 Bern

  WWW:  http://Christoph.Ruch.ch

2. CFS Panels - Huge Hit on Frame Rates

3. DXF Question.

4. Assigning 2 ip address on 1 NIC

5. Model Space vs. Paper Space - DXF question

6. The table *** is full!!

7. Model Space versus Paper Space - DXF question

8. Palm Developer required in Sydney

9. Converting raster BandW scanned drawing to DXF question...

10. dxf question

11. smooth polygon mesh DXF question

12. HELP! DXF Question

13. DXF question