Analog Artist: finding the largest current

Analog Artist: finding the largest current

Post by Matthias Loche » Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hello

Is there a way to find the device which draws the largest current in a
design?
I would like to find the largest average and peak current from a
transient simulation.
Maybe some skill function?

Thank's a lot
--
Matthias Locher

Analog Artist: finding the largest current

Post by Enright D » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi  Matthias,

There are a lot of ways this can be achieved.

The quickest way I can find that will be quite reliable, would be to
perform a DCopt analysis saving all currents (assuming you are using the
Spectre simulator), and examine one of the output simulation files.

A suitable file is called  "spectre.dc" which is created in the
simulation directory. This lists all the currents and voltages around the
circuit. You could use this information to work out what you want.

The Skill code to automatically edit the file is:
            edit(strcat(asiGetRunDir(asiGetCurrentSession()) "/"
"spectre.dc"))

Other wise it could be quite difficult requiring skill code to either
netlist the schematic and call the calculator for every component, or
inspect the DRL database.

Another possibility is to back-annotate the DC operating point values to
the schematic and look at the values on the schematic, but this is manual
(unless you examine the current CDF values in the schematic).

If you find a better technique (of which I have no doubt there is) I
would be interested in your solution.

I hope this helps

            David.

--
David Enright (Senior Research Officer)
      Essex University, England.

Analog Artist: finding the largest current

Post by Enright D » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Whoops,
            I just reread the email. You said you wanted peak transient
currents not DC operating-point currents.

You will have to look at the DRL database, and inspect all the transient
current nodes.

Sorry

        David.

Quote:

--
David Enright (Senior Research Officer)
      Essex University, England.
WebSite :- Design Automation Lab

1. How to do Analog simulation in Analog Artist?

Hi,

I am a graduate student at Carnegie Mellon University.

I try to use Cadence's Analog Artist Simulation to do the simulation of
analog circuit.

When I try to put Stimulus File in the Graphical Environment, it
doesn't pop up "AC magnitude, AC phase DC voltage" as shown in the
manual, "Analog Artist Simulation Help   --> Creating a Stimulus File
Using the Graphical Interface" page 2 of 12. It means I can not put
any Stimulus to the circuit from the input pin. It only has an default
DC voltage there. Even I change to Sin, PWL etc..., no more entries
shows up on that form.

Can anyone give me some hints?

Is this because of software not setup properly or I missed some steps?
We are using Design Framework II environment 4.4

2. Devloping for CE inexpensivly?

3. How to compile AHDL outside Analog Artist

4. scrolling text window from a text file

5. How to pipe Analog Artist Output Log on CIW?

6. IIsi: A beautiful Mac.... Except..

7. Analog Artist/hspice .meas

8. 'Copy' WARP to another DISK

9. Tolerences in Analog Artist

10. Hardcopy defaults in Analog Artist

11. printing analog artist waveforms to postscript?

12. Help on using Analog Artist

13. Analog Artist (Spectre vs Hspice)