Anyone aware of software that will .....

Anyone aware of software that will .....

Post by CADDTEC » Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Anyone aware of software that will display an AutoCAD drawing (R2000
preferably) while in a teleconference or video conference?

We would like to be talking (on the phone or by Internet) with clients with
an AutoCAD drawing displayed at the same time on both the host and client
machines. AutoCAD on the host machine only. Both client and host should be
able to make markups, but not changes to the drawing file. The session
hopefully can be saved for viewing/printing later when we actually want to
make the changes the client wants.

We have played with MS Netmeeting 3.0, and it will display a captured
screen of an AutoCAD drawing. However, when we doodle on one machine, the
doodle does not show up in the same place on top of the AutoCAD drawing on
the other machine. It may be because of two different screen resolutions.
Not sure why. Other than that, this would be a suitable application.

Thanks in advance.
--
CADDTECH
Remove the x in xcaddtech to reply

Anyone aware of software that will .....

Post by j.. » Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Just a thought - Zoom Extents before capture and do whatever it takes
to display the image at full screen on both pc's.
Also, you could look at  Dr. DWG Collaborator at http://www.cswl.com
but I think it requires Acad at both ends.

John

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999 19:21:29 GMT, "CADDTECH"

>Anyone aware of software that will display an AutoCAD drawing (R2000
>preferably) while in a teleconference or video conference?

>We would like to be talking (on the phone or by Internet) with clients with
>an AutoCAD drawing displayed at the same time on both the host and client
>machines. AutoCAD on the host machine only. Both client and host should be
>able to make markups, but not changes to the drawing file. The session
>hopefully can be saved for viewing/printing later when we actually want to
>make the changes the client wants.

>We have played with MS Netmeeting 3.0, and it will display a captured
>screen of an AutoCAD drawing. However, when we doodle on one machine, the
>doodle does not show up in the same place on top of the AutoCAD drawing on
>the other machine. It may be because of two different screen resolutions.
>Not sure why. Other than that, this would be a suitable application.

>Thanks in advance.
>--
>CADDTECH
>Remove the x in xcaddtech to reply

Anyone aware of software that will .....

Post by Kenneth Anderso » Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:00:00

what about using Symantec's PC anywhere
http://www.symantec.com/pcanywhere/index.html

with the FREE! VoloView  Express product?  (I think that it reads A2k
files, but I dont know that for sure)
http://www.autodesk.com/products/volo/index.htm

Dont know, haven't tried, just my 2c

Quote:> Anyone aware of software that will display an AutoCAD drawing (R2000
> preferably) while in a teleconference or video conference?

> We would like to be talking (on the phone or by Internet) with clients
with
> an AutoCAD drawing displayed at the same time on both the host and client
> machines. AutoCAD on the host machine only. Both client and host should
be
> able to make markups, but not changes to the drawing file. The session
> hopefully can be saved for viewing/printing later when we actually want
> make the changes the client wants.

> We have played with MS Netmeeting 3.0, and it will display a captured
> screen of an AutoCAD drawing. However, when we doodle on one machine, the
> doodle does not show up in the same place on top of the AutoCAD drawing
on
> the other machine. It may be because of two different screen resolutions.
> Not sure why. Other than that, this would be a suitable application.

> Thanks in advance.
> --
> CADDTECH
> Remove the x in xcaddtech to reply

Anyone aware of software that will .....

Post by David Hanse » Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:00:00

If you are using NetMeeting - try to "share" the application. I THINK that
you can both use it then...

--

-Dave B^{D>

(Warning: Reply-to address has been changed - Death To Spam!)

Quote:> Anyone aware of software that will display an AutoCAD drawing (R2000
> preferably) while in a teleconference or video conference?

> We would like to be talking (on the phone or by Internet) with clients
with
> an AutoCAD drawing displayed at the same time on both the host and client
> machines. AutoCAD on the host machine only. Both client and host should be
> able to make markups, but not changes to the drawing file. The session
> hopefully can be saved for viewing/printing later when we actually want to
> make the changes the client wants.

> We have played with MS Netmeeting 3.0, and it will display a captured
> screen of an AutoCAD drawing. However, when we doodle on one machine, the
> doodle does not show up in the same place on top of the AutoCAD drawing on
> the other machine. It may be because of two different screen resolutions.
> Not sure why. Other than that, this would be a suitable application.

> Thanks in advance.
> --
> CADDTECH
> Remove the x in xcaddtech to reply

Anyone aware of software that will .....

Post by CADDTEC » Wed, 01 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Actually, that does not work. It does allow one machine to start
applications on the other machine's desktop, and control it completely. For
example, the client can open AutoCAD on the host and make changes in the
AutoCAD file. However, the host can't do anything (and I do mean anything)
but watch while this is going on.

An interesting concept, but not suitable for our purposes.

There are several drawbacks -
1) don't want client to be able to change the actual drawing file, just
want to see their comments and doodles.
2) client probably does not know AutoCAD commands anyway.

Thanks for the thought, and I am replying just for those that might be
following this thread. It would be useful if we were away from the office,
and wanted to use the AutoCAD and drawings at our office from a remote
computer.

--
CADDTECH
Remove the x in xcaddtech to reply

> If you are using NetMeeting - try to "share" the application. I THINK
that
> you can both use it then...

> --

> -Dave B^{D>

> (Warning: Reply-to address has been changed - Death To Spam!)

> > Anyone aware of software that will display an AutoCAD drawing (R2000
> > preferably) while in a teleconference or video conference?

> > We would like to be talking (on the phone or by Internet) with clients
> with
> > an AutoCAD drawing displayed at the same time on both the host and
client
> > machines. AutoCAD on the host machine only. Both client and host should
be
> > able to make markups, but not changes to the drawing file. The session
> > hopefully can be saved for viewing/printing later when we actually want
> > make the changes the client wants.

> > We have played with MS Netmeeting 3.0, and it will display a captured
> > screen of an AutoCAD drawing. However, when we doodle on one machine,
the
> > doodle does not show up in the same place on top of the AutoCAD drawing
on
> > the other machine. It may be because of two different screen
resolutions.
> > Not sure why. Other than that, this would be a suitable application.

> > Thanks in advance.
> > --
> > CADDTECH
> > Remove the x in xcaddtech to reply

Anyone aware of software that will .....

Post by GeoCom » Wed, 01 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Check out the online utility that autodesk is using for the GeonetCom seminars
- its slick!
I believe its by placeware (go to geonetcom.com to verify)

You can set up a conference and go through a powerpoint presentation with
others at various remote locations.
Simply export your CAD drawings as an image and bring into PPoint. Once your
rolling you can mark up drawings while you go through them.

Its not exactly what you have in mind but it might work.

You might also check out some of the resources we have in our CAD downloads at
http://software.geocomm.com
There's a couple of redlining viewing packages there.

Regards
Glenn