Does Anyone Know of a Good Structural Steel Shapes Program for R14?

Does Anyone Know of a Good Structural Steel Shapes Program for R14?

Post by Fletc » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hello All,

Can anyone recommend a good third party add-on for structural steel
shapes? Before we upgraded to R14 (from R12 for DOS), we had been using
a program called AISC for AutoCAD produced by Bridgefarmer & Associates.
This company, however, does not have a windows compatible version and
says it does not plan on producing one. TIA.

Regards,

Fletch

Does Anyone Know of a Good Structural Steel Shapes Program for R14?

Post by Dennis Shi » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Greetings

Quote:>Hello All,
>Can anyone recommend a good third party add-on for structural steel
>shapes?

The ArchT system from KETIV Technologies (www.ketiv.com ... if it's still
active) could be the answer. I say if it's still active since Visio Corp.
recently bought this technology from KETIV - you may have to go the
visio.com instead.

ArchT is a rather nifty front end system for AutoCAD that is mainly a full
featured design/documentation system. But it has a feature that pops up a
dialog box with every shape, channels, angles, WF sections, etc. and places
them in the drawing as closed polyline profiles. The entire program is
under $500 which may be a bit much if you don't have need for the rest of
the features it offers, but in my case I find the Steel module worth the
cost anyway.

Post by Chuck Smit » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Hello All,

> Can anyone recommend a good third party add-on for structural steel
> shapes? Before we upgraded to R14 (from R12 for DOS), we had been using
> a program called AISC for AutoCAD produced by Bridgefarmer & Associates.
> This company, however, does not have a windows compatible version and
> says it does not plan on producing one. TIA.

> Regards,

> Fletch

I use SteelPlus Structural Shapes from Barry Bowens & Associates
(http://www.brbowen.com). Great Program. I think the cost is $129 for 2D and
$189 for 3D. Give it a try. He also has Joist & Girders and Weld Symbols
that work equally as well.

Chuck Smith

Does Anyone Know of a Good Structural Steel Shapes Program for R14?

Post by Fletc » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> > Hello All,

> > Can anyone recommend a good third party add-on for structural steel
> > shapes? Before we upgraded to R14 (from R12 for DOS), we had been using
> > a program called AISC for AutoCAD produced by Bridgefarmer & Associates.
> > This company, however, does not have a windows compatible version and
> > says it does not plan on producing one. TIA.

> > Regards,

> > Fletch

> I use SteelPlus Structural Shapes from Barry Bowens & Associates
> (http://www.brbowen.com). Great Program. I think the cost is $129 for 2D and
> $189 for 3D. Give it a try. He also has Joist & Girders and Weld Symbols
> that work equally as well.

> Chuck Smith

Chuck,

Thank you very much, I'll check out that web site later this weekend.

Fletch

Does Anyone Know of a Good Structural Steel Shapes Program for R14?

Post by Fletc » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Greetings

> >Hello All,

> >Can anyone recommend a good third party add-on for structural steel
> >shapes?

> The ArchT system from KETIV Technologies (www.ketiv.com ... if it's still
> active) could be the answer. I say if it's still active since Visio Corp.
> recently bought this technology from KETIV - you may have to go the
> visio.com instead.

> ArchT is a rather nifty front end system for AutoCAD that is mainly a full
> featured design/documentation system. But it has a feature that pops up a
> dialog box with every shape, channels, angles, WF sections, etc. and places
> them in the drawing as closed polyline profiles. The entire program is
> under $500 which may be a bit much if you don't have need for the rest of
> the features it offers, but in my case I find the Steel module worth the
> cost anyway.

Dennis,

Thank you very much. I will check out that web site later this weekend.

Fletch

Does Anyone Know of a Good Structural Steel Shapes Program for R14?

Post by Dennis Shi » Sun, 05 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Greetings

Quote:>Thank you very much.

You're welcome. I suspect if all your need is the steel profile stuff,
Chuck's suggestion would be the better deal for the cost. Although I'm not
familiar with the app he mentions it sounds like it would fill the bill.
You can get, or used to be able to get a 30 day trial/convertable trial CD
from KETIV. Don't know what the policy is not that it's owned by Visio.

Does Anyone Know of a Good Structural Steel Shapes Program for R14?

Post by Doug Cornel » Tue, 07 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Dear Fletch:

Please send me your address and I will send you a free demo of Mechanical
Power Tools, which includes the full AISC steel section library.

The steel sections may be inserted in any view and are completely
parametric.  You don't need to delete a section to change it, just use our
"power edit" command and pick the size you want and the shape will update
automatically.

Mechanical Power Tools also includes parametric fasteners and holes,
dimensioning utilities, our excellent Block Manager program, and our very
popular Plot Stamp program.

Mechanical Power Tools runs in R13 or R14.  The cost is $495 per seat.

Doug Cornell
(810) 732-0085

>Hello All,

>Can anyone recommend a good third party add-on for structural steel
>shapes? Before we upgraded to R14 (from R12 for DOS), we had been using
>a program called AISC for AutoCAD produced by Bridgefarmer & Associates.
>This company, however, does not have a windows compatible version and
>says it does not plan on producing one. TIA.

>Regards,

>Fletch

Does Anyone Know of a Good Structural Steel Shapes Program for R14?

Post by Fletc » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Doug,

Thank you for the recommendation and I'd be happy to give the demo you
mentioned a try before deciding which program to purchase.

It can be sent to the following address:

        Don Grauel
        Beaumont Birch Company
        3900 River Road
        Pennsauken, NJ 08110