How to compile AHDL outside Analog Artist

How to compile AHDL outside Analog Artist

Post by Svenn Are Bjerk » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 18:47:21

This is probably a FAQ but sourcelink wasn't able to answer me in less
than 449 hits where all hits lead to the veriaref.pdf where cadence
say that it is not very clever to edit files outside Analog Artist.

But I want to edit outside analog artist and then take care of the
compiling myself. I work in a multi-cultural environment with unix and
windows with connection via samba. I use an editor on windows and
cadence on unix, and having to edit the files on unix is a hazzle as
we only have vi (Which I like).
The edit-compile-modify sequence is simply too long when I have to do
it all through the cadence interface.

Do anybody know how to fire a compile for Verilog-A or SpectreHDL from
CIW, or even better directly from the commandline with ocean or
something else, so that I can use a proper program (make) to remake
the instances? I am pretty sure that I have read a note on that once,
but it is impossible to find again.

Svenn

How to compile AHDL outside Analog Artist

Post by ra.. » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 02:03:54

If you are just looking for a simple syntax check, you could do it
with the following command(works well for both verilog-A/spectreHDL)
<path to spectre> #dpl /dev/null #ahdlfile <input model file>
Hope it helps.
Regards
Raman

Quote:> This is probably a FAQ but sourcelink wasn't able to answer me in less
> than 449 hits where all hits lead to the veriaref.pdf where cadence
> say that it is not very clever to edit files outside Analog Artist.

> But I want to edit outside analog artist and then take care of the
> compiling myself. I work in a multi-cultural environment with unix and
> windows with connection via samba. I use an editor on windows and
> cadence on unix, and having to edit the files on unix is a hazzle as
> we only have vi (Which I like).
> The edit-compile-modify sequence is simply too long when I have to do
> it all through the cadence interface.

> Do anybody know how to fire a compile for Verilog-A or SpectreHDL from
> CIW, or even better directly from the commandline with ocean or
> something else, so that I can use a proper program (make) to remake
> the instances? I am pretty sure that I have read a note on that once,
> but it is impossible to find again.

> Svenn

How to compile AHDL outside Analog Artist

Post by Andrew Becket » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 06:45:05

AHDL isn't really compiled when you do the edit/exit editor cycle. What it
does is syntax check it (a post on this was sent earlier in this thread),
and then build the pc.db and .cdb files. These are the things that the
hierarchy editor and netlisters use so that it knows what the hierarchy in
the verilog-a/spectreHDL code is, as well as the terminals.

Whilst the syntax checking can be done outside (as was outlined), the
only way of doing the pc.db and .cdb file generation is via a SKILL function,
which if I recall correctly, is not public (yet). So the best bet is to do a
small change (add a space?) to the file when you're done to trigger the
sequence...

Regards,

Andrew.

--
Andrew Beckett
Senior Technical Leader

1. How to do Analog simulation in Analog Artist?

Hi,

I am a graduate student at Carnegie Mellon University.

I try to use Cadence's Analog Artist Simulation to do the simulation of
analog circuit.

When I try to put Stimulus File in the Graphical Environment, it
doesn't pop up "AC magnitude, AC phase DC voltage" as shown in the
manual, "Analog Artist Simulation Help   --> Creating a Stimulus File
Using the Graphical Interface" page 2 of 12. It means I can not put
any Stimulus to the circuit from the input pin. It only has an default
DC voltage there. Even I change to Sin, PWL etc..., no more entries
shows up on that form.

Can anyone give me some hints?

Is this because of software not setup properly or I missed some steps?
We are using Design Framework II environment 4.4

2. FS: DCTV, A2630, Z3 vivid24, 25mhz lucas, etc...

3. How to pipe Analog Artist Output Log on CIW?

4. More than one target frame?

5. Analog Artist/hspice .meas

6. final cut pro

7. Tolerences in Analog Artist

8. Connect?

9. Analog Artist: finding the largest current

10. Hardcopy defaults in Analog Artist

11. printing analog artist waveforms to postscript?

12. Help on using Analog Artist

13. Analog Artist (Spectre vs Hspice)