Ref files: "Save full path" VS "Save partial path"

Ref files: "Save full path" VS "Save partial path"

Post by udg.. » Wed, 30 Oct 1996 04:00:00

MicroStation 95 now lets you save the full path to reference
files.  I would like to know if there is a way to save a
partial path (also known as relative addressing) to a reference
file.  For example, say the active file is c:\project\base\active.dgn
and it references the file c:\project\new\ref.dgn.  Instead of
saving the whole path "c:\project\new\ref.dgn" I would like to only
save the path "relative" from where the active file is.  This would
make the path to this ref file "..\new\ref.dgn".

When the full path is saved, if you needed to move these files to,
say, the f: directory, none of the reference files will full paths
saved would be found.  This relative addressing would fix this
problem.

If anyone knows of a way to do this, I would appreciate your input.

Oh, I know that I add directories to the config variable for reference
paths, but then anyone on another computer would have to do the same
and the list would get out of hand for a large number of project
directories - not quite as slick as I'd like.

(This all first came up when I moved some files to a zip drive to
work off of which is my e: drive versus the hard drive, c:, where
the files where originally created.)

        Thanks!

                Brian Runyen

--------------------------------------
Urban Design Group - Austin
4412 Spicewood Springs Road, Suite 800
Austin, Texas  78759

Phone (512)346-2353
FAX (512)338-0763
http://www.flash.net/~udgaus
--------------------------------------

Ref files: "Save full path" VS "Save partial path"

Post by AKSeid » Thu, 31 Oct 1996 04:00:00

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
[...]

Brian,

On the contrary, config variables are not only quite slick - slicker than
deer grease on a door knob - but also the best solution.

You referred to "project directories". Most projects are have nothing to
do with other projects, yet when you said,  ".. and the list would get out
of hand for a large number of project directories...", it sounds like you
are mixing config variables for many projects. Don't do that.

Instead, take advantage of  "Project configuration files." where you
define config variables for a particular project. This feature to
Microstation is very powerful. It is part of the ucf mechanism designed to
handle issues such as file portability

In your example with the zip drive, a simple one character  modification
to a project ucf file could have been all you needed to do to have
Microstation find all the file locations. Now that is something.

Check it out.

Ref files: "Save full path" VS "Save partial path"

Post by Rhonda E. Woo » Thu, 31 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Another option for this is to make and use logicals, if you can make them typical
across all projects. We have the same directory structure for every project, so I
have defined "ARCH" as being $(project)\100\, for instance, and the users attach all
architectural reference files using Select Cfg Variable and ARCH. Whole projects can
be moved and copied and all the attachments work.

Cuz MicroStation is keen when it comes to configuration.

hth.. rew

Ref files: "Save full path" VS "Save partial path"

Post by udg.. » Thu, 31 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Thanks to Allan Seidel who suggested using project config
variables to do this.  This way, the search paths for reference
files for each project can be appended to the MS_RFDIR config
variable in each particular project config file.

However, I still think it would be nice to be able to reference
files the way I suggested, as it provides "instant" portability
without having to change any configuration variables.

The use of project config files has helped, though, because we
can set the paths to line style libraries, cell libraries,
fonts, etc. that are specific to each project.  I'll add the
ref file paths to it as weel, but I'd like to do it with the
"relative path" insted.

Thanks!

--------------------------------------

Post by Dave G Nels » Fri, 01 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>MicroStation 95 now lets you save the full path to reference
>files.  I would like to know if there is a way to save a
>partial path (also known as relative addressing) to a reference
>file....

Using a key-in when attaching a reference file, you can save the
relative path.

If you enter
rf=..\dgn\border.dgn,border,sheet border
it will store just border.dgn in the filename area of the reference
file list.  Open the reference file dialog box, and in attachment
information, turn on Save Ref File Path, and the *relative* path will
be stored.

Or, if you enter
rf=../dgn/border.dgn,border,sheet border
it will store the entire relative path immediately in the reference
file list.  This is due to the use of the double-dot followed by
*forward slashes*.  MicroStation can access the path using either
forward slashes or backslashes, and this works in MicroStation 4.0,
5.0, and 5.5.  Another advantage of forward slashes is that they also
work on Unix platforms.

dave

Post by Thomas Vogher » Fri, 01 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> =

> =
> >MicroStation 95 now lets you save the full path to reference
> >files.  I would like to know if there is a way to save a
> >partial path (also known as relative addressing) to a reference
> >file....
> =
> Using a key-in when attaching a reference file, you can save the
> relative path.
> =
> If you enter
> rf=3D..\dgn\border.dgn,border,sheet border
> it will store just border.dgn in the filename area of the reference
> file list.  Open the reference file dialog box, and in attachment
> information, turn on Save Ref File Path, and the *relative* path will
> be stored.
> =
> Or, if you enter
> rf=3D../dgn/border.dgn,border,sheet border
> it will store the entire relative path immediately in the reference
> file list.  This is due to the use of the double-dot followed by
> *forward slashes*.  MicroStation can access the path using either
> forward slashes or backslashes, and this works in MicroStation 4.0,
> 5.0, and 5.5.  Another advantage of forward slashes is that they also
> work on Unix platforms.
> =
> dave

"Forward slashes"?!? This is new to me. Is it documentet somewhere?
Is it Microstation or DOS?

ustn variabels are surely useful but I agree with originator of this
thread that a "relative" path should bee easier to understand and handle
in smaller projects.

Thomas
Thomas Voghera                                  Tel +46 8 795 7630
TVAK                                            Fax +46 8 795 7650
Box 8215, 163 08  SP=C5NGA. SWEDEN.            Mob +46 70 755 7338

Ref files: "Save full path" VS "Save partial path"

Post by Phil Chouinard [Bentley » Sun, 03 Nov 1996 04:00:00

[chomp]

Quote:>"Forward slashes"?!? This is new to me. Is it documentet somewhere?
>Is it Microstation or DOS?

[snip]

Thomas: FWIW, the forward slash has always been the preferred way to
identify directory specifications in configuration variables. This
makes the cfg files platform independent. Check out the online help
for more information on this (do a search for Configuration Variable
File Syntax.) HTH

 ============== One of "The People Behind MicroStation" ==============
 Phil Chouinard - ITO                            Phone: (610) 458-5000
 Bentley Systems                                   Fax: (610) 458-1060
 690 Pennsylvania Drive                         CompuServe: 75300,3376