changing from Pro-E to Solidworks

Post by scotts.. » Tue, 19 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Does anyone have any experience changing from Pro-
E to Solidworks? We started using Pro-E three
years ago and are sick of PTC. They treat their
customers like *and charge a fortune for any
add on software. Now we are starting to look into
switching to SW. We are looking for some advice
as to what problems we might run into. Does the
Pro-E to SW translator work as well as they clam?
Is there anyway of converting the Pro-E drawings?
Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks
SOS

Before you buy.

changing from Pro-E to Solidworks

Post by kellnerp2.. » Tue, 19 Sep 2000 04:00:00

1. Pro/E translator will only function with V20 or earlier

2. The translator is not perfect. You will have a choice of bringing
in a dumb solid (which has worked every time for me) or trying to
create a feature by feature translation (which has usually required
some fixup).

> Does anyone have any experience changing from Pro-
> E to Solidworks? We started using Pro-E three
> years ago and are sick of PTC. They treat their
> customers like *and charge a fortune for any
> add on software. Now we are starting to look into
> switching to SW. We are looking for some advice
> as to what problems we might run into. Does the
> Pro-E to SW translator work as well as they clam?
> Is there anyway of converting the Pro-E drawings?
> Any insight would be helpful.

> Thanks
> SOS

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
> Before you buy.

Before you buy.

changing from Pro-E to Solidworks

Post by ed » Tue, 19 Sep 2000 04:00:00

In my view, anything you have to do to get
away from Proe/PTC, is gonna be worth it in the
end, let alone moving to SW, bliss.
You'll have your fair share of problems with SW, but
nothing compared toProe and most of the other
dinasaur CAD packages carrying the 80's philosophy
of modelling/marketing.

I promise, you won't look back to Proe again.

ed

> Does anyone have any experience changing from Pro-
> E to Solidworks? We started using Pro-E three
> years ago and are sick of PTC. They treat their
> customers like *and charge a fortune for any
> add on software. Now we are starting to look into
> switching to SW. We are looking for some advice
> as to what problems we might run into. Does the
> Pro-E to SW translator work as well as they clam?
> Is there anyway of converting the Pro-E drawings?
> Any insight would be helpful.

> Thanks
> SOS

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
> Before you buy.

changing from Pro-E to Solidworks

Post by Bart Simpso » Sat, 23 Sep 2000 04:00:00

You can get a decrypter from Delcam
http://www.veryComputer.com/

which will allow you to use Solidworks importer to import ProE2000i
parts into SW

It will also translate UG, CATIA, STEP & VDA files for you

Bart

PS its also FREE

Post by jimg.. » Wed, 27 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> Does anyone have any experience changing from Pro-
> E to Solidworks? We started using Pro-E three
> years ago and are sick of PTC. They treat their
> customers like *and charge a fortune for any
> add on software. Now we are starting to look into
> switching to SW. We are looking for some advice
> as to what problems we might run into. Does the
> Pro-E to SW translator work as well as they clam?
> Is there anyway of converting the Pro-E drawings?
> Any insight would be helpful.

> Thanks
> SOS

Hi,
     Solid Works has a program called Xchange Works that will convert
Pro-E files but only up to 2000.  PTC added something else to their
2000i and above to keep others from converting their files.
Jim

Quote:

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
> Before you buy.

Before you buy.

Post by b.. » Wed, 27 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> > Does anyone have any experience changing from Pro-
> > E to Solidworks? We started using Pro-E three
> > years ago and are sick of PTC. They treat their
> > customers like *and charge a fortune for any
> > add on software. Now we are starting to look into
> > switching to SW. We are looking for some advice
> > as to what problems we might run into. Does the
> > Pro-E to SW translator work as well as they clam?
> > Is there anyway of converting the Pro-E drawings?
> > Any insight would be helpful.

> > Thanks
> > SOS

> Hi,
>      Solid Works has a program called Xchange Works that will convert
> Pro-E files but only up to 2000.  PTC added something else to their
> 2000i and above to keep others from converting their files.
> Jim

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
> > Before you buy.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
> Before you buy.

If you want to read ProE 2000i parts into Solidworks you can use SW
ProE converter in conjunction with Delcam's PS-Exchange product.  PS-
Exchange 'decrptys the part' the SW's ProE converter can access the
part.

PS-Exchange is FREE!

It also supports UG, Parasolid, Catia, STEP, IGES & VDA.

Have a look at

http://www.veryComputer.com/
for info on using PS-Exchange with SW's ProE converter

or

http://www.veryComputer.com/
for general info

Bart