Pro-E vs. Solidworks Shoot-out??

Post by Brook » Thu, 24 Oct 2002 12:11:23

Does anybody know if there has been a shoot-out between Pro-E and SW such as
the one vs. Inventor? If so then please post an address where I can see the
results.

Thanks

Pro-E vs. Solidworks Shoot-out??

Post by Renderma » Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:01:43

first of all I hope you did not take any stock in the inventor vs.
solidworks shootout that was a biased AutoDesk carefully calculated test --
not a true fair test.  So I hope your not looking for false information like
the Inventor vs. solidworks JOKE..

Renderman

Quote:> Does anybody know if there has been a shoot-out between Pro-E and SW such
as
> the one vs. Inventor? If so then please post an address where I can see
the
> results.

> Thanks

Pro-E vs. Solidworks Shoot-out??

Post by Thoma » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 03:21:22

I am actually trying to evaluate it there is any reason for me to switch to
Pro-E from Solidworks! I have been using SW since 1997 and I think that it
is a great package, but I have recently changed jobs and I am now in the
process of buying a new 3D package. The company that I am now with has
multiple seats of Pro-E and they seem resistant to investing in a new 3D
package. I think that Pro-E is one of the best design packages if you have
the luxury of time to finish a project, but I work in a manufacturing
environment where speed is everything. I want to see if tasks can be
completed as fast in Pro-E as in SW.

Thanks

> first of all I hope you did not take any stock in the inventor vs.
> solidworks shootout that was a biased AutoDesk carefully calculated
test --
> not a true fair test.  So I hope your not looking for false information
like
> the Inventor vs. solidworks JOKE..

> Renderman

> > Does anybody know if there has been a shoot-out between Pro-E and SW
such
> as
> > the one vs. Inventor? If so then please post an address where I can see
> the
> > results.

> > Thanks

Pro-E vs. Solidworks Shoot-out??

Post by zigge » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 03:20:34

Gotta admit, the Linux angle makes it tempting...
-Zigger

> I am actually trying to evaluate it there is any reason for me to switch
> Pro-E from Solidworks! I have been using SW since 1997 and I think that it
> is a great package, but I have recently changed jobs and I am now in the
> process of buying a new 3D package. The company that I am now with has
> multiple seats of Pro-E and they seem resistant to investing in a new 3D
> package. I think that Pro-E is one of the best design packages if you have
> the luxury of time to finish a project, but I work in a manufacturing
> environment where speed is everything. I want to see if tasks can be
> completed as fast in Pro-E as in SW.

> Thanks

> > first of all I hope you did not take any stock in the inventor vs.
> > solidworks shootout that was a biased AutoDesk carefully calculated
> test --
> > not a true fair test.  So I hope your not looking for false information
> like
> > the Inventor vs. solidworks JOKE..

> > Renderman

> > > Does anybody know if there has been a shoot-out between Pro-E and SW
> such
> > as
> > > the one vs. Inventor? If so then please post an address where I can
see
> > the
> > > results.

> > > Thanks

Pro-E vs. Solidworks Shoot-out??

Post by Jerry Steige » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 07:51:18

At Work Computers

Quote:> I am actually trying to evaluate it there is any reason for me to switch
> Pro-E from Solidworks! I have been using SW since 1997 and I think that it
> is a great package, but I have recently changed jobs and I am now in the
> process of buying a new 3D package. The company that I am now with has
> multiple seats of Pro-E and they seem resistant to investing in a new 3D
> package. I think that Pro-E is one of the best design packages if you have
> the luxury of time to finish a project, but I work in a manufacturing
> environment where speed is everything. I want to see if tasks can be
> completed as fast in Pro-E as in SW.

TenLinks Daily had a link to this article, which is a little old (August),
but interesting.

http://www.synthx.com/articles/proe-wildfire.html

With the "old" Pro/E speed was closely tied to your individual learning
curve. If you were really quick to pick things up or had a great memory, you
could be really fast, no matter what. If you were a "normal" person you had
to use it everyday to be fast. Otherwise, you forgot how to do critical
actions in those periods when you didn't use it much.

It sounds like the "new" Pro/E UI is going to be a lot more like SW, maybe
even better in a number of ways. I would be very interested in hearing your
opinion of it, once you get a chance to try it out.

Jerry Steiger

Pro-E vs. Solidworks Shoot-out??

Post by Mr. Pickle » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:57:31

Is there a shoot-out? Maybe. Is it biased? Probably.

Being a former certified Pro/E user/consultant, maybe I am biased. I think
Pro/E is a better package than SW. BUT, it is only better in certain things,
when you want or need it. It is more powerful. If you think SW is more
powerful, then you probably think Wordpad is more powerful than Word.

Is Pro/E faster? Is SW faster? Does Pro/E have less clicks? Does SW have
less clicks? Does Pro/E cost more? Does SW cost more? Does it really matter?

Consider what you NEED. How many times has that been said concerning these
"debates". If your going to design a 747, then you better get Pro/E in your
scenario. But why do people do this particular scenario anyway? Listen, if
you think a "lower-end" 3D program will work, then buy SW. If you need more
latter, then move up to CATIA. Yeah, Catia. Ever heard of them? Same folks
own them and SW in case you wondered.

Compare SW to Inventor to SolidEdge to blah blah blah.

Compare Pro/E to Catia.

Ohhh, I am currently working on my 3rd year with SW, after my previously
mentioned 3+ years of Pro/E, with some time on Mechanical Etch-A-Sketch
(pre-Inventor) thown in. You know what I miss about Pro/E? Variable Section
Sweeps, text menus, and trajpar. Do you need or want these?

Buy Solidworks and go. And for the local SW VAR who would NOT give a contact
of mine a SW demo/trial CD, kiss my ASCII. He now OWNS Inventor. Good luck
to both....

Mr. Pickles

Pro-E vs. Solidworks Shoot-out??

Post by DWH » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:31:24

hehe... no bs responses.  Thas what i like to see  :o)

Quote:> Is there a shoot-out? Maybe. Is it biased? Probably.

Post by Ji » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 21:46:05

http://www.synthx.com/articles/proe-wildfire.html

Read the above link, new from Tenlinks as of 10/23/02.  Take things
like this with a grain of salt, but "Wildfire" was supposed to be
released in the spring of 2002...hmmm....why hasn't it been released
yet??  Quality issues with the major migration and changes to the
UI?????  If you have Pro/E files the newest version of SolidWorks will
migrate these part and assembly files forward, if need be with
features, etc.  If your users are going to have to learn an entirely
new package anyway, I'd take a look at trying to reduce your operating
costs and look to SolidWorks.  What types of designs are you getting
into?  Ask your local SolidWorks VAR for some comparison information
or examples of customers they have switched from Pro to SW and talk to
them.  Good luck.

> hehe... no bs responses.  Thas what i like to see  :o)

> > Is there a shoot-out? Maybe. Is it biased? Probably.

> > Being a former certified Pro/E user/consultant, maybe I am biased. I think
> > Pro/E is a better package than SW. BUT, it is only better in certain
>  things,
> > when you want or need it. It is more powerful. If you think SW is more
> > powerful, then you probably think Wordpad is more powerful than Word.

> > Is Pro/E faster? Is SW faster? Does Pro/E have less clicks? Does SW have
> > less clicks? Does Pro/E cost more? Does SW cost more? Does it really
>  matter?

> > Consider what you NEED. How many times has that been said concerning these
> > "debates". If your going to design a 747, then you better get Pro/E in
>  your
> > scenario. But why do people do this particular scenario anyway? Listen, if
> > you think a "lower-end" 3D program will work, then buy SW. If you need
>  more
> > latter, then move up to CATIA. Yeah, Catia. Ever heard of them? Same folks
> > own them and SW in case you wondered.

> > Compare SW to Inventor to SolidEdge to blah blah blah.

> > Compare Pro/E to Catia.

> > Ohhh, I am currently working on my 3rd year with SW, after my previously
> > mentioned 3+ years of Pro/E, with some time on Mechanical Etch-A-Sketch
> > (pre-Inventor) thown in. You know what I miss about Pro/E? Variable
>  Section
> > Sweeps, text menus, and trajpar. Do you need or want these?

> > Buy Solidworks and go. And for the local SW VAR who would NOT give a
>  contact
> > of mine a SW demo/trial CD, kiss my ASCII. He now OWNS Inventor. Good luck
> > to both....

> > Mr. Pickles

Pro-E vs. Solidworks Shoot-out??

Post by Ken » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 00:36:10

And if your SoildWorks VAR is made aware that you might switch from ProE to
SWX you could get a good deal, Any software vendor loves to have stories of
converting people, just like Evangelists.

Ken

> http://www.synthx.com/articles/proe-wildfire.html

> Read the above link, new from Tenlinks as of 10/23/02.  Take things
> like this with a grain of salt, but "Wildfire" was supposed to be
> released in the spring of 2002...hmmm....why hasn't it been released
> yet??  Quality issues with the major migration and changes to the
> UI?????  If you have Pro/E files the newest version of SolidWorks will
> migrate these part and assembly files forward, if need be with
> features, etc.  If your users are going to have to learn an entirely
> new package anyway, I'd take a look at trying to reduce your operating
> costs and look to SolidWorks.  What types of designs are you getting
> into?  Ask your local SolidWorks VAR for some comparison information
> or examples of customers they have switched from Pro to SW and talk to
> them.  Good luck.

> > hehe... no bs responses.  Thas what i like to see  :o)

> > > Is there a shoot-out? Maybe. Is it biased? Probably.

> > > Being a former certified Pro/E user/consultant, maybe I am biased. I
think
> > > Pro/E is a better package than SW. BUT, it is only better in certain
> >  things,
> > > when you want or need it. It is more powerful. If you think SW is more
> > > powerful, then you probably think Wordpad is more powerful than Word.

> > > Is Pro/E faster? Is SW faster? Does Pro/E have less clicks? Does SW
have
> > > less clicks? Does Pro/E cost more? Does SW cost more? Does it really
> >  matter?

> > > Consider what you NEED. How many times has that been said concerning
these
> > > "debates". If your going to design a 747, then you better get Pro/E in
> >  your
> > > scenario. But why do people do this particular scenario anyway?
Listen, if
> > > you think a "lower-end" 3D program will work, then buy SW. If you need
> >  more
> > > latter, then move up to CATIA. Yeah, Catia. Ever heard of them? Same
folks
> > > own them and SW in case you wondered.

> > > Compare SW to Inventor to SolidEdge to blah blah blah.

> > > Compare Pro/E to Catia.

> > > Ohhh, I am currently working on my 3rd year with SW, after my
previously
> > > mentioned 3+ years of Pro/E, with some time on Mechanical
Etch-A-Sketch
> > > (pre-Inventor) thown in. You know what I miss about Pro/E? Variable
> >  Section
> > > Sweeps, text menus, and trajpar. Do you need or want these?

> > > Buy Solidworks and go. And for the local SW VAR who would NOT give a
> >  contact
> > > of mine a SW demo/trial CD, kiss my ASCII. He now OWNS Inventor. Good
luck
> > > to both....

> > > Mr. Pickles

1. Pro/engineer vs. SolidWorks vs. Solid Designer vs. Unigraphics

Hi All !

We are looking for a 3D solid modeller program and have allready checked
ProE and Solid Designer.
The main diferences between these are the price and the presence of a
history in P/E.

We had some contacts with Unigraphics and Solidworks... and SolidWorks
seems a very good modeller. Also the price is very atractive. The bad thing
is that it is only 1 year old. The salesman can make this a good point in
mentionning that therefor "it is technically really Up To Date" !

We are a little restrictive to it... can anybody tell us their experience ?

Thanx !

--
##############
++  Flatman ++

##############

2. Cedar Rapids, Iowa Amiga Users

3. Autodesk Mechanical Desktop VS SolidWorks VS Pro/Engineer

4. TC++ & DeskJet+ graphics programming: can't print '\x1a' !!??

5. PT Modeler vs. SDRC Artisan vs. Solidworks vs. Solid Edge

6. Setting a blank value for XML element generates error

7. PRO-E vs SOLIDWORKS

8. Dialogs and MFC

9. Pro-e vs. Solidworks

10. PRO-E vs SOLIDWORKS

11. SW and SE vs SD vs PRO/e vs UG

12. The FIX was on at the Inventor/SolidWorks shoot out