Video Card Recommendation

Post by Ed Sallad » Thu, 01 May 2003 03:19:33

Hi,
I need to setup new pc for work and looking for video card suggestions
for a dual monitor configuration.
Is the new Nvidia GrForceFX 5800 good for cad or is two seperate cards
better?  How much mem. on cards are recommended ?  This is for CAD 2D &
maybe more 3D in the future.  Whats the bullet points to look for in a
CAD card ?
Thanks,
Ed

Video Card Recommendation

Post by Norbert Grun » Thu, 01 May 2003 09:18:21

Quote:> This is for CAD 2D &
>maybe more 3D in the future.  Whats the bullet points to look for in a
>CAD card ?

good and stable driver support, thus no ATI

N.

Video Card Recommendation

Post by TestSubjec » Sat, 03 May 2003 11:55:14

> > This is for CAD 2D &
> >maybe more 3D in the future.  Whats the bullet points to look for in a
> >CAD card ?

> good and stable driver support, thus no ATI

> N.

I don't know about that. I have had no problems with using both a Fire GL
and a 7500.
I have used both with Inventor and ACad 2002

Video Card Recommendation

Post by Norbert Grun » Sat, 03 May 2003 23:09:08

On Fri, 02 May 2003 02:55:14 GMT, "TestSubject"

>I don't know about that. I have had no problems with using both a Fire GL
>and a 7500.
>I have used both with Inventor and ACad 2002

The OpenGL support of the Radeon series driver is known for not to be
very good/stable in connection with CAx apps but optimized for speed
with games.

For 2D (= Acad) fine anyhow, especially with the latest Catalyst
driver.

Dunno FireGL but assume that they are fine with 3D because that's the
target of this CAD related video cards but probably much to expensive
for the orig. poster.

N.

1. Video Card Recommendations for home

I intend to install SW at home to study and practice.  My home PC is PCI
only, and I've discovered this week that PCI video cards are rapidly
disappearing.  I've spent about 10 hours truing to track this down.  I can't
get into an expensive card, but speed and large assemblies are not an issue.
It has been difficult to determine what cards will and won't work.  Those
that may work seem to be unavailable.  Can you give recommendations on any
of the following, or recommend others?

3D LABS OXYGEN VXI PCI 32MB SDRAMR3    $220
ATI ALL IN WONDER 128 PCI 32MB                   $240
Diamond Stealth III S540 32MB PCI video card        $96

These three seem to be available.  Can I get by with less than 32MB of RAM
on any other card?  Do any of you have a take-out card to sell?
(I just saw the post about the ATI Rage 128GL 32Mb card.  I have one
installed at the office, and yes, I get frequent lock-ups.)

Thanks for the help.

Jim

2. How do I intercept Pause Key

3. Budget Video Card Recommendations to use with Pro-Eng

4. MATLAB 5.3 and MS Internet Explorer 5.0

5. Video card recommendation

6. PC PRINTING

7. video card recommendations?

8. Cisco IDS, stonebeat and HSRP problem

9. Video Card Recommendations?

10. Video card recommendation for ACAD 12 for DOS

11. Video card recommendations for dual monitor NT setup

12. Video Card recommendations?