Tagging an element more than once with the same tag set.

Tagging an element more than once with the same tag set.

Post by Juan Carlos Niebla Clement » Thu, 13 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hello everybody!

The MicroStation manual states in the "Attach Tags" command:

"It is not possible to attach tags from an individual tag set more than
once to a particular element".

Of course it is true, interactively, but the architecture used to
support the tags (Association id., etc) is able to manage various tag
instances of the same tagset. It seems to me that once, testing a
program, I attached two instances of the same tagset to the same element
by error with SUCCESS return.

The question is: Is it possible and safe (supported in the future) to
attach several instances (values) of the same tagset to an alement.

Any information is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Tagging an element more than once with the same tag set.

Post by Juan C. Niebl » Fri, 14 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi Martijn.

Im aware of the difference. Whe I refer to "the same tag" is the same
tagname from the same tagset. This, according to the MicroStation
manual, is invalid, but only for interactive purposes. After my mail I
wrote a program that ataches two instances of the same tag to one
element and the result is alright from the dgn structure point of view.

Interactively I get only one tag and tag reports give a "tag-mix", but
programatically I can manage all the tags perfectly with the mdl
functions provided (That is what I want). The problem is: Is it safe to
work according to dgns structure or we have to addopt the limitation of
the interactive tool?

Maybe you are asking yourself: "Why this guy needs to do so?", well I
have elements that refer to one plant item but others refer to multiple
plant items and the simpler, more natural and more flexible way I find
to do this is using several instances of the same tag attached to the
same element.

Thank you for your answer Ill keep searching.

> Hi Juan,

> It is possible to associate multiple tags with one element.
> There is a difference between associating two different tags from the
> same tagset (which is perfectly ok) and associating the same tag from a
> tagset twice (which is not ok);

> Never forget that MDL is low-level. It is the responsibility of the
> programmer to ensure that the design file is not corrupted.

> Greetings, Martijn Sanders

Quote: