Problems with Dell computers with STB graphics cards

Problems with Dell computers with STB graphics cards

Post by NSai » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I just wanted to warn people away from STB graphics cards.  They are not
compatible with autocad 14.  I just purchased a machine from Dell with the STB
nvidia zx 8mb agp-2x card.  After much hair pulling, they are swapping out my
card for free.  If you check the autodesk newgroup you will see lots of angry
postings from Dell computer buyers.

Neal

Problems with Dell computers with STB graphics cards

Post by R.K. McSwai » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00

whats the problem ??????
I have a Dell with a STB, No problem here

>I just wanted to warn people away from STB graphics cards.  They are not
>compatible with autocad 14.  I just purchased a machine from Dell with the
STB
>nvidia zx 8mb agp-2x card.  After much hair pulling, they are swapping out
my
>card for free.  If you check the autodesk newgroup you will see lots of
angry
>postings from Dell computer buyers.

>Neal

Problems with Dell computers with STB graphics cards

Post by Jerry L. Gubk » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00

No problems here either ... just installed Acad14 on a brand new Dell XP
450 w/ this card w/ NT 4.0. Runs fine ... just another long time (10+
years) satisfied Dell user working for a 100% Dell equipped engineering
consulting group.

BTW - I scan this group daily and Neal's complaint is the first I've
noticed; not the last of a long string of complaints.

Live long, and prosper
Jerry L. Gubka

> whats the problem ??????
> I have a Dell with a STB, No problem here

> >I just wanted to warn people away from STB graphics cards.  They are not
> >compatible with autocad 14.  I just purchased a machine from Dell with the
> STB
> >nvidia zx 8mb agp-2x card.  After much hair pulling, they are swapping out
> my
> >card for free.  If you check the autodesk newgroup you will see lots of
> angry
> >postings from Dell computer buyers.

> >Neal

Problems with Dell computers with STB graphics cards

Post by Ken Shearr » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

He's talking about Autodesk own news server. There are a number
of post with STB complaints. I have no idea if they are justified, but
they are there.

Ken Shearron

>BTW - I scan this group daily and Neal's complaint is the first I've
>noticed; not the last of a long string of complaints.

>Live long, and prosper
>Jerry L. Gubka

>> >card for free.  If you check the autodesk newgroup you will see lots of
>> angry
>> >postings from Dell computer buyers.

Problems with Dell computers with STB graphics cards

Post by p.. » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I too had a run in with Dell over this. My PC was 3 days old when I
noticed a number of problems in Autocad. I phoned their `helpline' and
spent 1 1/2 hours trying to understand some Irish idiot at the other
end. All he could suggest was to re-load the AutoCAD software or to
use another software package for a few hours to see if the problem was
only in AutoCAD. I eventually lost patience with him, slammed the
phone down and got my IT group to order a Matrox card - problem
solved. We have a large number of PC's in my company (heaven knows why
as they in my opinion are a crock of s**t)

>I just wanted to warn people away from STB graphics cards.  They are not
>compatible with autocad 14.  I just purchased a machine from Dell with the STB
>nvidia zx 8mb agp-2x card.  After much hair pulling, they are swapping out my
>card for free.  If you check the autodesk newgroup you will see lots of angry
>postings from Dell computer buyers.
>Neal

1. STB video card problems?

Seems like somebody posted something a little while back about STB
Permedia-2 based cards.  Can't remember if it was positive or negative,
but I'm having major problems with my new card and SolidWorks (no other
apps).  I have the latest driver and I've tweaked everything tweakable
in the driver setup *and* in SolidWorks.  Lines all over the place in
wireframe mode . . . happens in the 99 pre-release also . . . although
the shaded model looks ALMOST correct (a few misplaced graphics there
also).

2. Ten-Four Email Gateway for GroupWise - Hi Volume?

3. STB velocity Graphics Problems?? w/solidworks 97

4. Can you see what is wrong with this?

5. "Trails" with new system/STB Velocity Card

6. Help with Windows Scripting Host

7. STB Video Card

8. OT - Free listserve?

9. STB video cards

10. Dell Computers

11. network: POSITION AVAILABLE: Dell Computer, Austin TX

12. Dell Computers....??