ATTENTION MOLD DESIGNERS

Post by Kevin Wishe » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I am currently working on modeling DMEs A-series mold bases in SolidWorks
98 that
will be dimensionally driven by MS Excel. I am posting here to see if there
is a market for
such models for a price of $350 to $500.

This will consist of at least (4) different assembly files because of the
number of assembly
screws increases as the mold base size increases. (If someone has a
suggestion on how to
work around this with just one assembly file, please let me know). Each mold
base
assembly file will consist of each mold plate in its own *.sldprt file and
Excel file. By
choosing the needed mold base size, the plate files will update to DMEs
standards.

The assembly file(s) will contain the following components:

- Leader pins & bushings
- Return pins
- Return springs & pockets
- Sprue puller pin
- Guided ejection (2) per small base (4) per larger base
- Stop pins (4) under return pins
- Assembly screws (both halves, ejector plates, locating ring)
- Sprue bushing (also with an Excel file for diameter, O & R dims.)
- Locating ring (DME #6521)

When assembly is in rendered mode, mold plates will be transparent gray.
Components
will be gold/bronze. Screws will be black. Please visit my website in a few
days and you
will be able to see an example (www.netusa1.net/~kwwisher).

I started this project for myself but had the idea of selling it to others
who might find it
saves some time in the design process. Please e-mail me with your thoughts
or ideas on
this.

Kevin W. Wisher
K.W. Design

ATTENTION MOLD DESIGNERS

Post by Joe Jone » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Kevin,

I have a question regarding excel if you don't mind.

Can I define a variable like mass or volume and use it in my spreadsheet as
a function of the model?  The few examples I found on the SW web site, used
crude volumetric calculations (W*H*L) instead of getting it as a property of
the model.

ex: I could use excel to maximize volume for a cube with 1 cu. ft volume.
Then I could use excel to calculate width, height, length... they would all
be 1 for this example.  But what about a curved tube or some other geometry
that is difficult to calculate by using exel  (a spring) ?

New Hampshire CAD - Solidworks custom programming
Lebanon, NH
http://www.nhcad.com

>I am currently working on modeling DMEs A-series mold bases in SolidWorks
>98 that
>will be dimensionally driven by MS Excel. I am posting here to see if there
>is a market for
>such models for a price of $350 to $500.

>This will consist of at least (4) different assembly files because of the
>number of assembly
>screws increases as the mold base size increases. (If someone has a
>suggestion on how to
>work around this with just one assembly file, please let me know). Each
mold
>base
>assembly file will consist of each mold plate in its own *.sldprt file and
>Excel file. By
>choosing the needed mold base size, the plate files will update to DMEs
>standards.

>The assembly file(s) will contain the following components:

>- Leader pins & bushings
>- Return pins
>- Return springs & pockets
>- Sprue puller pin
>- Guided ejection (2) per small base (4) per larger base
>- Stop pins (4) under return pins
>- Assembly screws (both halves, ejector plates, locating ring)
>- Sprue bushing (also with an Excel file for diameter, O & R dims.)
>- Locating ring (DME #6521)

>When assembly is in rendered mode, mold plates will be transparent gray.
>Components
>will be gold/bronze. Screws will be black. Please visit my website in a few
>days and you
>will be able to see an example (www.netusa1.net/~kwwisher).

>I started this project for myself but had the idea of selling it to others
>who might find it
>saves some time in the design process. Please e-mail me with your thoughts
>or ideas on
>this.

>Kevin W. Wisher
>K.W. Design

ATTENTION MOLD DESIGNERS

Post by Kevin Wishe » Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Sample image file is now on my website. Image quality is not that good. I
will try to improve this today.

www.netusa1.net/~kwwisher

ATTENTION MOLD DESIGNERS

Post by an » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 08:08:52 -0500, "Kevin Wisher"

>I am currently working on modeling DMEs A-series mold bases in SolidWorks
>98 that
>will be dimensionally driven by MS Excel. I am posting here to see if there
>is a market for
>such models for a price of $350 to $500.

This sounds the same as what Toolbox SE is going to give us in a few
months integrated with their package.  Why is this better?