CPC Monitor -> PC Monitor

Post by Ricardo Varel » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello!

I want to know if is possible convert a CPC Monitor to a PC Monitor.

Bye!

CPC Monitor -> PC Monitor

Post by Kev Thack » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello!

>I want to know if is possible convert a CPC Monitor to a PC Monitor.

No, I don't think it is.

The PC monitor requires a higher screen refresh, including a higher
horizontal line refresh. The CPC monitor can only handle 50Hz screen
refresh with 15Khz line refresh.

It's just not possible.

Kev

CPC Monitor -> PC Monitor

Post by Cliff Lawso » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>I want to know if is possible convert a CPC Monitor to a PC Monitor.

In a word "No".

In several words "Even if it were possible, consider the fact that the
vertical scan frequency of a CPC monitor only allows it to show 200 scan
lines. So even if you did manage to get it going the best mode you could
ever hope to show is CGA mode 6 (640x200). You couldn't do any of the EGA
350 scan line modes let alone VGA 480 line modes or, God forbid, SVGA 600
and 768 line modes.

Cliff

CPC Monitor -> PC Monitor

Post by Angela Coo » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>>Hello!

>>I want to know if is possible convert a CPC Monitor to a PC Monitor.
>No, I don't think it is.

>The PC monitor requires a higher screen refresh, including a higher
>horizontal line refresh. The CPC monitor can only handle 50Hz screen
>refresh with 15Khz line refresh.

So what does a PC monitor do then?

- Angela

CPC Monitor -> PC Monitor

Post by Marcus Durha » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:

>The PC monitor requires a higher screen refresh, including a higher
>horizontal line refresh. The CPC monitor can only handle 50Hz screen
>refresh with 15Khz line refresh.

[snip]

Actually my new video card does have a 50Hz mode (for display on a TV)
so I suppose it's feasable to wire up a connector to a CTM. The card has
an old fashioned RGB output as well (intended for full SCART). It might
even be possible to go from the SVGA (I can run the monitor at 50Hz as
well, but it makes my eyes go red!).

--
Marcus E. Durham
http://www.zenn.demon.co.uk/index.htm

CPC Monitor -> PC Monitor

Post by Kev Thack » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998 20:28:32 -0000, "Angela Cook"

>>The PC monitor requires a higher screen refresh, including a higher
>>horizontal line refresh. The CPC monitor can only handle 50Hz screen
>>refresh with 15Khz line refresh.

>So what does a PC monitor do then?

It usually uses 70hz (I think), but can go up to 85hz. With a
horizontal frequency going from 30kHz up...

it all depends on what mode you are using. Those multi-sync monitors
monitor the horizontal and vertical frequencys so they can show these
modes.

Plus, PC uses a completely different connector, might be a pain trying
to sort out the signals from the PC into a CPC monitor.

But, I've never tried..

Kev

CPC Monitor -> PC Monitor

Post by Marcus Durha » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:>>The PC monitor requires a higher screen refresh, including a higher
>>horizontal line refresh. The CPC monitor can only handle 50Hz screen
>>refresh with 15Khz line refresh.

>So what does a PC monitor do then?

Well mine does up to 85Hz in up to 1024x768, go higher and the refresh
rate drops. My eyes are now used to 80Hz and a 60Hz screen appears to
flicker. Drop it to 50Hz and it's painful to use, but oddly the CPC
monitor is 50Hz and that's fine. Perhaps there are other factors?

BTW this is a 15 inch CTX model.

--

Post by Keith M. Luca » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>>>Hello!

>>>I want to know if is possible convert a CPC Monitor to a PC Monitor.
>>No, I don't think it is.

>>The PC monitor requires a higher screen refresh, including a higher
>>horizontal line refresh. The CPC monitor can only handle 50Hz screen
>>refresh with 15Khz line refresh.

>So what does a PC monitor do then?

Many small monitors will only sync to a small frequency band clustered
about certain points -- 43Hz, 60Hz and 72Hz being common. Graphics
cards expect these frequencies to work, and many of the early graphics
cards didn't have programmable dot clocks, so you had to pick one of
the frequencies, and the card would sync to it.

To simplyfy the electronics, the CPC monitor will probably only do
50Hz.

In this day and age you could probably figure out a 50Hz mode on a
modern card, but you'd have to willing to do all the sums.

sillywizATexcessionDOTdemonDOTcoDOTuk"It's not a personality..it's a bulldozer"
 assassinate president plutonium nuclear amnesty international airliner *
-------------------------- Include triggers, make life hard for the spooks. ---

CPC Monitor -> PC Monitor

Post by Cliff Lawso » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>Well mine does up to 85Hz in up to 1024x768, go higher and the refresh
>rate drops. My eyes are now used to 80Hz and a 60Hz screen appears to
>flicker. Drop it to 50Hz and it's painful to use, but oddly the CPC
>monitor is 50Hz and that's fine. Perhaps there are other factors?

Could it be that flickeryness is more apparent when there are 768 lines on
the screen compared to 200 shown by a CPC? Try setting your PC to 50Hz but
then use a 320x200 screen mode!

Cliff

CPC Monitor -> PC Monitor

Post by Marcus Durha » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:>Could it be that flickeryness is more apparent when there are 768 lines on
>the screen compared to 200 shown by a CPC? Try setting your PC to 50Hz but
>then use a 320x200 screen mode!

Very good point. I'll give it a go later on.

--
Marcus E. Durham
http://www.zenn.demon.co.uk/index.htm
"That would have been believable on Doctor Who"

1. CPC=>PC monitor? Woz:8Mhz

## to      /RUM/comp.sys.amstrad.8bit:
PS3> The main x-tal were replaced with a 32MHz x-tal, and I were ready to
PS3> rock! 'cept that the H & V-sync from the CRTC were a bit to fast for my
PS3> monitor, so I wired ye'old CPC up with my multisync PC monitor...
I'd be quite grateful for further information on how you managed to do
this, for I had been told at first that it were just a question of simply
wiring two connectors, but the information given in PC monitors' manuals
makes me think this is quite impossible, as PC VGA monitors -at least
AFAIK- usually can't display video signals as low as 15.625 kHz (or did
you mean to say that it only worked with a PC monitor *because of* the
Gate Array being "on overdrive", and therefore forcedly doubling the video
bandwith?) and need HSYNC and VSYNC instead of the CPCs COMPOSITE SYNC
(though there might be some solution to split this one up). So... is there
any way of making a "normal" CPC drive today's PC VGA multisync monitors
(while what I mean by "drive" is not driving these expensive things
straight into hell, of course ;->)

TNX in advance 4 your help :-)

Greetinx

TEN.

... Currently beta-testing! Please notify me by eMail of any flaws in this msg!
## CrossPoint v3.02 R ##
 * ZQWKPro v0.38Beta-2 [BetaTeam]

2. Auto Loader - ad

3. PC Monitor on Mac/Mac Monitor on PC??+

4. Urgent Need Java Developer

5. Monitors Monitors Monitors

6. Consultants Available SAP SD/MM AND DW PM AND 2 QA

7. NeXT Dimension Color Monitor replacement - PC monitor work?

8. NAT doesn't seem to work

9. next 17" color monitor useful as pc monitor?

10. How do I Use a PC Monitor on my old CPC

11. NeXT monitor -> PC ???

12. PC <--> NeXT monitor cables?

13. CPC Data files on PC (5,1/4" CPC => DOS)