WACCI convention

Post by John Bowle » Sat, 23 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Forget the pipe and slippers one and all Carol bought me a new dominio
set and I shall thrash the pants off BTL!

WACCI convention

Post by Dwerry » Sun, 24 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>Forget the pipe and slippers one and all Carol bought me a new dominio
>set and I shall thrash the pants off BTL!

There will be a *ing queue round the Bescott Stadium to* BTL...

WACCI convention

Post by Brian Wats » Sun, 24 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> >Forget the pipe and slippers one and all Carol bought me a new dominio
> >set and I shall thrash the pants off BTL!

> There will be a *ing queue round the Bescott Stadium to* BTL...

Public F-ing, and in formation?

That could be quite a crowd puller, and better than synchonised swimming.

More likely to be for the doughnuts.
--
Brian Watson (would-be pourer of oil on troubled waters)
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WACCI convention

Post by Dwerry » Sun, 31 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:(Brian Watson) writes:
>Public F-ing, and in formation?

>That could be quite a crowd puller, and better than synchonised swimming.

>More likely to be for the doughnuts.
>--
>Brian Watson (would-be pourer of oil on troubled waters)

Then why not pour something on those btl bastards or are you really one of
then?

WACCI convention

Post by Brian Wats » Mon, 01 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> >Brian Watson (would-be pourer of oil on troubled waters)

> Then why not pour something on those btl bastards or are you really one of
> then?

Presumably "one of theM"?

OK, if you want to start on me now, let's get this sorted out as
publically as you apparently want it.

And just so we know where it's coming from I am responding personally,
not as a spokesperson for any organisation.

I'm a CPC user and supporter, not in it for commercial gain despite
my involvement in various aspects of CPC publishing and support.

Nobody is making real money out of 8-bits now, and despite the gags
about "The Last 8-bit Tycoon" the income barely covers the costs. If
you doubt it and have any respect for Peter Campbell, who has yet to
join that group of people who you think have got it in for you, just
ask HIM how the "Protext Family" are selling nowadays.

This is a very small pond now without any large fish: not me, not you,
not anyone.

Although I sell several CPC (and other computers') programs, some of which
were rescued partly through your good efforts, for which I and other CPC
users are very grateful, I earn more than enough money through my other
businesses to not need the computer stuff with all the attendant crap,
including your recent paranoid nonsense.

BTL are the tabloid journalists of the CPC world. Scurrilous,
muck-raking, irreverant, brash, and generally fairly offensive in a
schoolboy-ish kind of way. They are also generally right, even if the
manner of expressing it may cause offence to some, particularly the
targets of their occasionally puerile wit.

Your extremely capable stewardship of the WACCI user group brought you
into conflict with the BTL people, an understandable conflict of
personalities, and there may be a lot more that I am not aware of which
informs your point of view. But your postings to this newsgroup a month
ago or more were likely to be inflammatory to start with, became
generally and increasingly offensive, and ultimately led to many of
those who you felt you should be able to rely on for blind support,
falling away as your behaviour reflected increasingly badly on the
group you were so closely associated with.

The publishing of your resignation statement, in full and without much
comment, was a classic piece of tabloid journalism.

WACCI had the great discretion to refer the statement back to you as
so much of it, written perhaps in haste and anger, was factually wrong
and showed you at your least attractive. But you wrote it; at least I
did not notice any changes to your text when it appeared in BTL. I am
prepared to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Quite unfairly, you blamed a former colleague in WACCI for leaking the
statement. In fact its distribution for discussion to those who were
either named or otherwise criticised by association was a decision
arrived at after much thought by the committee. At that point YOU were
insisting on its publication and so there was no "indiscretion" in its
circulation. It was an attempt to protect you from yourself. The
situation later changed but by then the story was out.

I don't know if you have a ticket for the Walsall convention. Angie is
away so I can't ask her. In any case the decision on whether or not you
attend is yours, with or without your intention to have a punch up. I
might say that a public statement of the intent wasn't the smartest
move you could have made in advance of the event. But in recent months
judgement has not been one of your strong points.

I wouldn't expect there to be any more security on the doors
checking tickets than in previous years. As long as most people pay
and the costs are covered (and this year they are underwritten, just
in case) I wouldn't personally be too bothered about it.

That is not what it WAS about or IS about.

Oh, by the way, I'm not one of them.
--
Brian Watson

WACCI convention

Post by Dwerry » Mon, 01 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:(Brian Watson) writes:
>OK, if you want to start on me now, let's get this sorted out as
>publically as you apparently want it.

Thanks for the bullets - you have done yourself no good there.

Yes I have a ticket for the Convention and its paid for. Does any of those
btl bastards have a ticket?

Quote:(Brian Watson) writes:
>BTL are the tabloid journalists of the CPC world. Scurrilous,
>muck-raking, irreverant, brash, and generally fairly offensive in a
>schoolboy-ish kind of way. They are also generally right, even if the
>manner of expressing it may cause offence to some, particularly the
>targets of their occasionally puerile wit.

Should not that read:

BTL are the paperazzi of the CPC world.

And by the way irreverEnt is spell this way.

We can all be cheap when we want to be.

WACCI convention

Post by Brian Wats » Tue, 02 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> (Brian Watson) writes:

> >BTL are the tabloid journalists of the CPC world. Scurrilous,
> >muck-raking, irreverant, brash, and generally fairly offensive in a
> >schoolboy-ish kind of way. They are also generally right, even if the
> >manner of expressing it may cause offence to some, particularly the
> >targets of their occasionally puerile wit.

> Should not that read:

> BTL are the paperazzi of the CPC world.

Well, I thought it had 2 p's in the middle but I'm trying not to make
a big issue of spelling. Assuming it is paperazzi, yes, I think that's
fair comment.

Quote:

> And by the way irreverEnt is spell this way.

Thank you. I shall try to do better in future. In view of the fact that
your "fire" seemed to be coming my way now, it seemed not unreasonable
to be allowed to respond, having first established what the actual charge
was supposed to be.

You may recall that some time ago I was accused by you of being a "buuny
lover" but did not respond.

In that case, although the spelling was wrong, the meaning was clear,
although wrong both factually and figuratively.

Quote:

> We can all be cheap when we want to be.

Now, I really don't understand this. I assume it is meant in the sense
of taking easy advantage of a privileged position?

Please be more specific. I really do not know why suddenly I am on the
PFD hit list, as my offence (if there be one) would seem to be to not
see things as you do.

Hardly a* offence.
--
Brian Watson
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Post by Simon Forrest » Tue, 02 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> (Brian Watson) writes:

> >OK, if you want to start on me now, let's get this sorted out as
> >publically as you apparently want it.

> Thanks for the bullets - you have done yourself no good there.

> Yes I have a ticket for the Convention and its paid for. Does any of those
> btl bastards have a ticket?
> [oh, and a whole load of other shit]

Do you have any idea just how pathetic you're making yourself look, Dwerry?

--

    -SFNet-              -cult tv-              -MacWeb-
Trek, B5, Dwarf,    For the cooler kind    THE independent UK

WACCI convention

Post by Simon Forrest » Tue, 02 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> away so I can't ask her. In any case the decision on whether or not you
> attend is yours, with or without your intention to have a punch up.

Ooh - can I pay on the door?

--

    -SFNet-              -cult tv-              -MacWeb-
Trek, B5, Dwarf,    For the cooler kind    THE independent UK
and loads more        of couch potato         Mac resource

WACCI convention

Post by Brian Wats » Tue, 02 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Ooh - can I pay on the door?

 'Course you can!

Are you coming to this one?

It does appear to be shaping up for a better day out than at first
envisaged.
--
Brian Watson
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Post by Dwerry » Tue, 02 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>Do you have any idea just how pathetic you're making yourself look, Dwerry?

So not one off you bastards admits to having a ticket eh?

WACCI convention

Post by Simon Forrest » Tue, 02 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> > Ooh - can I pay on the door?

>  'Course you can!

> Are you coming to this one?

> It does appear to be shaping up for a better day out than at first
> envisaged.

Yup - I should be there, deadlines willing...

--

Post by Richard Fairhur » Tue, 02 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> >Do you have any idea just how pathetic you're making yourself look, Dwerry?

> So not one off you bastards admits to having a ticket eh?

No, I have one.

--
Richard Fairhurst                        http://www.systemed.u-net.com/
                                           I haven't time to sympathise

WACCI convention

Post by Brian Wats » Tue, 02 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> [blah blah blah]...get this sorted out as
> publically as you apparently want it.

I've just noticed; I can't spell publicly. So sue me.

As I'm sure we are all very bored with this, so can we all thank our
anonymous benefactor for underwriting the Walsall convention, just
turn up (I'm sure a bucket collection can be arranged for those who
find writing cheques a problem but would not like to see him or her in
the bankruptcy courts) and have a jolly good time.

This "do" is open to all - postings have gone to the C64 and
Sinclair newsgroups - and some positive responses has been received back
suggesting we might have some visitors from those machines, so
the issue of who has bought tickets should no longer BE an issue.

That said, I would think it would be for anyone who feels they want
to make a declaration on the subject to do it by e-mail mano-a-mano
rather than cluttering up these postings. That said, I've got mine,
and paid for, in case you're wondering.

The place is big enough for those who want to keep themselves to
themselves to do so, and the market area and car park are available
for more in-depth conversations over a plastic cup of awful tea
and a bag of doughnuts.

It is rumoured the odd CPC might be found in the market too, not
to mention that almost forgotten "Coldmane Pat" (sorry, just reading
the badly printed bootleggers insert card) of which more elsewhere in
this newsgroup.

One rumour I can quash; no wet T-shirt competition this year. Sorry.
--
Brian Watson

1. CPC 99: the fourth WACCI Convention

It's going ahead!

CPC 99 - the fourth WACCI Convention, and without doubt _the_ British
CPC meeting - will take place on Sunday 26th September in Peterborough.

The venue is the Copeland Community Centre, Bretton. The event will take
place from 9am to 5pm, with extra room in an afternoon lounge.

The rooms are on the ground floor, and there is a pub next door. Road
and rail links are excellent: those arriving by train can get a bus or
taxi from outside the station.

Tickets will cost 2, including buffet, and can be pre-booked from:

        John Bowley
        97 Tirrington
        Peterborough PE3 9XT

or paid on the door.

All are welcome - WACCI members or not, British or European. For more

--
| Richard Fairhurst                               www.systemeD.net
| The point is not to put poetry at the disposal of the revolution,
| but to put the revolution at the disposal of poetry.

2. Edi

3. WACCI convention and BTL

4. better performance with optimize!?? (jboss)

5. WACCI Convention: getting to Walsall in September

6. compiling emacs 19.34 on glibc2 Linux machines

7. Wacci convention revisited

8. R5000 and Alias PowerAnimator 7 ?

9. Wacci Convention - It's Over!

10. WACCI Convention (Aftermath)