xntp - insane association states

Post by W. Donald Rolph I » Sat, 18 Feb 1995 01:19:17

Ah well as a hard cor newbie I foolishly installed ntp on my Ultrix machine,
xntp 2 on two OSF machiens and xntp 3 on an HPUX machine.  The machines are
set up as peers, and are successfully polling each other; the error and
dispersion is visible in xntpdc.

When I use ntpq and look at lassociations, I note that the state of the peers
is insane.  This suggests that somehting is not quite right.

Sorry for the probably inadequate data, but I still am floudnering with this
stuff.

In any event, can any one show mercy on a poor soul and give a hint of what I
am goding wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Regards.

xntp - insane association states

Post by Jeff Mak » Wed, 22 Feb 1995 06:28:49

Quote:>When I use ntpq and look at lassociations, I note that the state of the peers
>is insane.  This suggests that somehting is not quite right.

While surprising, I believe this is normal for the case when a version
2 ntpq client queries a version 3 server.  Apparently (I haven't
checked the code to make sure), the numerical values that correspond
to the various peer states were changed between NTP versions 2 and 3,
so that the version 2 "insane" condition has the same value as the
version 3 "synchr." condition.

The best solution is to use a version 3 ntpq client for querying
version 3 servers.

                             :: Jeff Makey

           Disclaimer: All opinions belong only to their author.
Department of Tautological Pleonasms and Superfluous Redundancies Department

Post by W. Donald Rol » Wed, 22 Feb 1995 16:33:38

>Subject: Re: xntp - insane association states
>Date: 20 Feb 1995 21:28:49 GMT

>>When I use ntpq and look at lassociations, I note that the state of the peers
>>is insane.  This suggests that somehting is not quite right.
>While surprising, I believe this is normal for the case when a version
>2 ntpq client queries a version 3 server.  Apparently (I haven't
>checked the code to make sure), the numerical values that correspond
>to the various peer states were changed between NTP versions 2 and 3,
>so that the version 2 "insane" condition has the same value as the
>version 3 "synchr." condition.

I thank you for your response.  This was part of the problem I believe.  The
other was that there was no level 1 (0?) master.  when we synched to the
machine on our firewall things inmproved immediately.

Thanks for your help!

>The best solution is to use a version 3 ntpq client for querying
>version 3 servers.
>                             :: Jeff Makey

>           Disclaimer: All opinions belong only to their author.
>Department of Tautological Pleonasms and Superfluous Redundancies Department

Regards.

1. insane associations

I've installed xntp3 v. 4v on our HP 9000/700s, IBM RS/6000s,
SGIs, and SPARCs.  On all the HPs and IBMs, and on all but
three of the SGIs, it runs like a champ.  But on three SGI
Indys and all of our SPARCs, it never manages to grab a root.
We do have five other Indys on which xntpd runs with no
trouble.

I've looked at the hints for SGIs and SPARCs running SunOS 4,
but they're no help.  Our Indys are running IRIX 5.3; the Suns
are running SunOS 4.1.3.  I've tried various things--using
the prefer setting for a server, fiddling with the precision--
nothing works so far.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.  Please email directly to me.

Thanks.

Karl Boyken, systems programmer, Dept. of Computer Science
303A MLH, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA  52242-1419

WWW:  http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~boyken/

2. Agent will not run on '...' unless AMgr_DisableMailLookup ini variable is set to 1.

3. xntp, Leitch.. always insane!

4. Editing setting of a PM program.

5. xntp-alpha thinks my PSTI clock is insane

6. tcl and orcale?

7. EQM Sum, RBS Pattern, Highest Rx State, Highest TX State with AT&V1

8. SNMP and OIR .....

9. Wanted: State by state tariff info

10. Help: static NAT should be easy but I'm going insane

11. VPN Client-to-PIX w/ split tunneling - i get insane!

12. Insane Interface Input/Output Rate Counters

13. This is driving me insane!!!!!