Whatever happened to nested func's?

Post by John DiCamil » Sat, 05 Nov 1994 06:07:12

Hi!

I seem to remember that there was a proposal to
the committee to remove the current restriction
and allow nested functions.  I also seem to remem-
ber that the proposal was rejected.  What I don't
remember is why.

Was it considered too hard to implement?  Did
people think it was not sufficiently useful?
Something else?  Or am I dreaming and there never
was such a proposal?

--
    c'iao,
    milo

Post by Ulf Schuenema » Sun, 06 Nov 1994 01:26:38

|> Hi!
|>
|> I seem to remember that there was a proposal to
|> the committee to remove the current restriction
|> and allow nested functions.

Nested functions or local functions?

|> I also seem to remember that the proposal was rejected.
|> What I don't remember is why.
|>
|> Was it considered too hard to implement?

In the discussion in this newsgroup this was the main argument
against *local* functions.

|> Did people think it was not sufficiently useful?

This may is the argument against *nested* functions as they have
no advantage over global-static functions besides scoping.
On the other hand regarding orthogonality:

- Why can I have classes with inline methods in the classdefinition
  nested in functions but no inline method-implementation outside
  the classdefinition and no inline function?
- Why just inline methods and no noninline methods (and functions)?

|> Something else?  Or am I dreaming and there never
|> was such a proposal?

I'm not sure about proposals to the *committee*.
All these rumours in this newsgroup ...

Ulf Schuenemann

Ulf Schnemann
Institut fr Informatik, Technische Universit?t Mnchen.

Post by John Max Skall » Tue, 08 Nov 1994 13:50:50

>|> Hi!
>|>
>|> I seem to remember that there was a proposal to
>|> the committee to remove the current restriction
>|> and allow nested functions.

        I put that proposal, it was rejected by the extensions
subgroup and never came before the committee as a whole. Too bad.
Everything _else_ in C++ nests properly.
--

        Maxtal Pty Ltd,
        81A Glebe Point Rd, GLEBE   Mem: SA IT/9/22,SC22/WG21