ANSI/ISO C++ committee

Post by Brian Ho » Thu, 05 May 1994 03:40:37

Through what channels should someone go to join the ANSI/ISO C++ committee?
I'm not particularly interested in influencing decisions, but am more
concerned with keeping a* of changes in the language.  Reading D&E by
Stroustrup made me realize that there is a LOT going on in the language
that I should be kept aware of (I'm a library developer/vendor) in order to
retain compatibility.

Thanks,

Brian
| Brian Hook            | Specializing in real-time 3D graphics   |
| Box 90315             |-----------------------------------------|

1. const references (may be banned by ISO/ANSI committee)

Hello,

I just read the C++ puzle in the C++ report by Rob Murray. In his column
he said "Believe it or not, the ISO/ANSI committe has actually spent time
discussing const references, and it is entirely possible that they may ban
them".

If possible could some one please elaborate on this. I have built
a bag of pointers class in which I define  the following two operators:
(dont ask why, but it is very usefull for me):

inline T*& operator [] (int);
inline T* const & operator [] (int) const;

// operator [],  returns reference to a pointer.
template <class T>
inline T*& PtrBag<T>::operator [] (int i) {
   return b[i];

where b is of type T**

// operator [],  returns constant reference to a pointer.
template <class T>
inline T* const & PtrBag<T>::operator [] (int i) const {
   return b[i];

basically the second operator return a const reference to a pointer.

So my question, is what I am doing above not portable and soon will
become not-supported.

Thanks,
Abed M. Hammoud

2. Themes

3. Visual C++ Ansi/ISO C++ Support Sux ?

4. Announcing the Microsoft Mail SMTP Gateway mailing list

5. ANSI/ISO C++ Support in Visual C++ 6 ?

6. SDS SingleStep Debugger

7. Visual C++ 6 ANSI/ISO C++ Support Sux ?

8. SIC.EPFL.CH wrote about "Re: OCTOCOM modem, any in " ? on

9. Printing ANSI/ISO Resolutions, iso.ps

10. Fri Nov 14 ANSI C++ Committee vote on the Standard, New Jersey

11. Dear ANSI C++ Committee

12. ANSI C++ Committee Update

13. request for info about last ANSI c++ committee meeting