Domain is Lost During NSI Transfer - This is SCARY!!!

Domain is Lost During NSI Transfer - This is SCARY!!!

Post by Ron Benne » Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:00:00

See the Wired story for a backgrounder on this:
http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,32974,00.html

According to the article, John McLanahan bought the RACES.COM domain name from
the former owner. They both completed the RCNA transfer form as per Network
Solutions (NSI) instructions and then waited. Well, to their surprise the
domain was accidently returned to the available pool of domain names TWICE -
the first time, NSI deleted the bogus registration...but the second time NSI
claimed they couldn't since the bogus registration was done through
Register.com. See the article for all the details.

This story, if true, is VERY SCARY!!  Most people including myself were under
the assumption that a domain couldn't be lost during a transfer assuming it was
fully paid for and not involved in any disputes. According to NSI, this is not
the case. This comes down to the credibility of the domain name system. People
will not trust domain registrations if they can lose them for no just cause.

*** YES, NSI IS RESPONSIBLE AND MUST FIX THEIR MISTAKE AND HERE'S WHY ***

NSI is claiming that while they made a mistake, there's nothing they can do
since the domain was registered by someone at Register.com. Nice try, but
here's the problem:

Keep in mind that NSI also controls the *central registry* for .COM, .ORG,
.NET, and .EDU and John McLanahan in my layman's opinion has a case against NSI
since they control the central registry and are negligent for the mistake -
KEEP IN MIND THAT NSI HAD PRIOR KNOWLEDGE OF THE PROBLEM AND YET IT HAPPENED
AGAIN AND NOW NSI REFUSES TO CORRECT THE REGISTRATION - in my laymans opinion,
this is the legal strategy that John McLanahan should persue in regards to
getting relief. If anything NSI may at some point just settle out of court and
at least John would get something for all his trouble and teach NSI to take
their business more seriously since domain names are critical infrastructure.

Ron Bennett

Domain is Lost During NSI Transfer - This is SCARY!!!

Post by Steve DeGroo » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> See the Wired story for a backgrounder on this:
> http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,32974,00.html

> According to the article, John McLanahan bought the RACES.COM
> domain name from the former owner. They both completed the RCNA
> transfer form as per Network Solutions (NSI) instructions
> and then waited. Well, to their surprise the domain was
> accidently returned to the available pool of domain names
> TWICE - the first time, NSI deleted the bogus registration...
> but the second time NSI claimed they couldn't since the bogus
> registration was done through Register.com. See the article
> for all the details.

I heard about this. The domain now appears to be owned by
greatdomains.com, who is auctioning it off. The current bid
is $500000 but I don't think they actually have any bidders.
I'd expect that $500000 is what they set as the minimum bid.
With any luck (and a lot of press) no one will bid on it and
McLanahan can pick it up for a reasonable price.

Barring that, if and when someone *does* buy, maybe it'll
"fall off the truck" during transfer again and McLanahan
can grab it.

Or, maybe someone at register.com will "accidentally" delete
the registration and alert McLanahan. Apparently, register.com
wouldn't be held liable if something like this happened.

As far as I'm concerned, races.com is stolen property and
should be treated as such. I'd expect that a lot of people
have similar opinions. Whoever ends up actally using the
domain name had better be prepared for a lot of negative
publicity.

SD

--
/======================================\

|  http://degroof.home.mindspring.com  |
\======================================/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Domain is Lost During NSI Transfer - This is SCARY!!!

Post by Anil Trive » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>As far as I'm concerned, races.com is stolen property and should be
>treated as such. I'd expect that a lot of people have similar opinions.
>Whoever ends up actally using the domain name had better be prepared
>for a lot of negative publicity.

OTOH, are people who promote races and * etc likely to be
deterred by what the world thinks of them? :)

-Anil

Post by Steve DeGroo » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> See the Wired story for a backgrounder on this:
> http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,32974,00.html

Just a bit of extra info. John McLanahan has posted to
SlashDot:

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=99/12/11/1155244&cid=259

SD

--
/======================================\

|  http://degroof.home.mindspring.com  |
\======================================/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Domain is Lost During NSI Transfer - This is SCARY!!!

Post by john.pe.. » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

How long before the investors in some of the better known
Dot Com Companies get "jittery" when they read stuff like this ?
Surely a more secure system needs/will be put in place ,
otherwise what will happen when one of those large well
known Dot Com's loses their name

> > See the Wired story for a backgrounder on this:
> > http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,32974,00.html

> > According to the article, John McLanahan bought the RACES.COM
> > domain name from the former owner. They both completed the RCNA
> > transfer form as per Network Solutions (NSI) instructions
> > and then waited. Well, to their surprise the domain was
> > accidently returned to the available pool of domain names
> > TWICE - the first time, NSI deleted the bogus registration...
> > but the second time NSI claimed they couldn't since the bogus
> > registration was done through Register.com. See the article
> > for all the details.

> I heard about this. The domain now appears to be owned by
> greatdomains.com, who is auctioning it off. The current bid
> is $500000 but I don't think they actually have any bidders.
> I'd expect that $500000 is what they set as the minimum bid.
> With any luck (and a lot of press) no one will bid on it and
> McLanahan can pick it up for a reasonable price.

> Barring that, if and when someone *does* buy, maybe it'll
> "fall off the truck" during transfer again and McLanahan
> can grab it.

> Or, maybe someone at register.com will "accidentally" delete
> the registration and alert McLanahan. Apparently, register.com
> wouldn't be held liable if something like this happened.

> As far as I'm concerned, races.com is stolen property and
> should be treated as such. I'd expect that a lot of people
> have similar opinions. Whoever ends up actally using the
> domain name had better be prepared for a lot of negative
> publicity.

> SD

> --
> /======================================\

> |  http://degroof.home.mindspring.com  |
> \======================================/

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

????

John Pepin

> > See the Wired story for a backgrounder on this:
> > http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,32974,00.html

> > According to the article, John McLanahan bought the RACES.COM
> > domain name from the former owner. They both completed the RCNA
> > transfer form as per Network Solutions (NSI) instructions
> > and then waited. Well, to their surprise the domain was
> > accidently returned to the available pool of domain names
> > TWICE - the first time, NSI deleted the bogus registration...
> > but the second time NSI claimed they couldn't since the bogus
> > registration was done through Register.com. See the article
> > for all the details.

> I heard about this. The domain now appears to be owned by
> greatdomains.com, who is auctioning it off. The current bid
> is $500000 but I don't think they actually have any bidders.
> I'd expect that $500000 is what they set as the minimum bid.
> With any luck (and a lot of press) no one will bid on it and
> McLanahan can pick it up for a reasonable price.

> Barring that, if and when someone *does* buy, maybe it'll
> "fall off the truck" during transfer again and McLanahan
> can grab it.

> Or, maybe someone at register.com will "accidentally" delete
> the registration and alert McLanahan. Apparently, register.com
> wouldn't be held liable if something like this happened.

> As far as I'm concerned, races.com is stolen property and
> should be treated as such. I'd expect that a lot of people
> have similar opinions. Whoever ends up actally using the
> domain name had better be prepared for a lot of negative
> publicity.

> SD

> --
> /======================================\

> |  http://degroof.home.mindspring.com  |
> \======================================/

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. Am I hacked? Am I at least safe?

Hi.  I got a cable modem last month, and after reading many articles about
security I installed ZoneAlarm.  I have my File and Print sharing off, and
ZoneAlarm set to it's high security setting.  Well, I've noticed a lot of
alerts...All from address 208.184.17t2.xxx:1975 o many of my ports.  I tried
Sam Spade, but I'm not much in the know when it comes to this stuff.  I
think there were entries for bogus rDNS under the addresses I'm suspecting.
Well, I did a netstat in dos, and I saw the same addresses...mostly with
TIME_WAIT, but occasionally a connection was ESTABLISHED or SYN_SENT
(whatever that means).

So, I would like to know:

1.  Am I being hacked?  Attempted?
2.  Who is this 208.184.172.xxx that's contacting my computer?
3.  If I am being targeted, with the setup I have, how safe am I?  And if
so, Any other common (cheap) precautions?

Thanks, Mark Moreau.

2. Help with life cycle

3. I am a dumbass (No, I am)

4. Roman Numeral TTF needed

5. am radio reception during

6. Maximum Memory per processor

7. AM Radio reception during dial-up!

8. PageMaker 5.0, MS Word 6.0 (Windows 3.1).

9. Why am I losing chars??!

10. NSI Loses Domain and No One Cares??

11. Kremen Gets to Sue NSI Over Bad Domain Transfer

12. I am getting a server error message for my domain HELP