setting up DNS for .name gTLD domains

Post by Adam » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 17:26:33

We have a customer who has recently registered one of these new .name
domains with Verisign (NetSol), and now want us to host their site and email
for them.

The .name domains work in the following manner:

www.fred.bloggs.name points to their web site (Fred Bloggs is just an
example!)

From looking at message headers, it would appear that their email address is

this.

My question is, how should we configure our DNS? - I could create a
fred.bloggs.name zone, which would presumable handle the web site (if I
added a www host obviously), but how do we handle the email? - Specifically

I don't want to change the NSs to point to ours (it's currently using
NetSols NS), until I'm sure I can set it up in the correct manner!

Surely someone must have done this?! - Any ideas.

TIA,
A.

Post by Barry Margoli » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 23:01:16

>We have a customer who has recently registered one of these new .name
>domains with Verisign (NetSol), and now want us to host their site and email
>for them.

>The .name domains work in the following manner:

>www.fred.bloggs.name points to their web site (Fred Bloggs is just an
>example!)

>From looking at message headers, it would appear that their email address is

>this.

>My question is, how should we configure our DNS? - I could create a
>fred.bloggs.name zone, which would presumable handle the web site (if I
>added a www host obviously), but how do we handle the email? - Specifically

To do that, the administrator of the bloggs.name zone would have to add an
MX record pointing to your mail server.  But then you would get mail for

My guess is that the administrator of bloggs.name already has a machine
handling MX service for this domain.  When it gets mail for

record for fred.bloggs.name and the right thing should happen.

--

Genuity Managed Services, a Level(3) Company, Woburn, MA

Post by Adam » Thu, 01 May 2003 00:50:25

> To do that, the administrator of the bloggs.name zone would have to add an
> MX record pointing to your mail server.  But then you would get mail for

Quite! - The way the .name domains work mean that there is no way I could
have the MX of the bloggs.name on my DNS.

> My guess is that the administrator of bloggs.name already has a machine
> handling MX service for this domain.  When it gets mail for

> record for fred.bloggs.name and the right thing should happen.

I'm hoping that is the case! - The trouble is that I don't want to change
the NS to mine until I'm sure this will happen! - Maybe I need to mail
someone at the nic.name (or whatever it is).

Thanks for you help.
A.

1. setting up DNS for .name gTLD domains

A> We have a customer who has recently registered one of these new
A> .name domains with Verisign (NetSol), and now want us to host
A> their site and email for them. [...]
A> [...] how should we configure our DNS?

You say that your customer wants you to provide its HTTP content service
and SMTP Relay service.  However, you don't say that your customer wants
you to provide its DNS content service.

If your customer doesn't want you to provide its DNS content service,
then you don't need to do _anything_ to your DNS servers at all.  The
only servers that you need be concerned with are your HTTP content
servers and your SMTP Relay servers, both of which should be told (in
whatever way is appropriate for your choice of softwares) that they are
to provide their respective services for your customer's domain, in
addition to what domains they already provide service for.  This
reconfiguration of those servers has nothing to do with the DNS.

If your customer actually does want you to provide its DNS content
service, then all that you do is create an appropriate "forward lookup"
"zone", the same as you have already done for all of the other "zone"s
that your DNS content services already serve.

If your customer owns "bloggs.name.", then it has (and thus you have,
assuming that it wants you to provide its DNS content service for it)
the power to determine what the SMTP Relay server for "bloggs.name." is,

are routed.  If, however, your customer only owns "fred.bloggs.name.",
then neither it nor you have the power to determine what the SMTP Relay
server for "bloggs.name." is.  That power belongs to the owner(s) of
"bloggs.name.".

2. Commutative diagrams?

3. .Com domain listing non-gtld name servers

4. Protect Your SGIs

5. setting up a ROOT domain on DNS and delegating name space questions

6. ESS1868F AudioDrive Drivers Wanted

7. help with setting up a domain name with DNS

8. FS: Laser toner carts

9. DNS lookup on one domain with DNS for a domain without an internal DNS server

10. DNS lookup on one domain with DNS for a domain without an in ternal DNS server

11. setting up domain name for web server name

12. Need Info about setting up Domain Name services (named) on network

13. Does a DNS name have to be different than the domain name?