how does nslookup work?

Post by huan » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 17:47:13

Who knows how nslookup work? When it work, it send out what kind of packets?

how does nslookup work?

Post by Barry Margoli » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 23:45:07

>Who knows how nslookup work? When it work, it send out what kind of packets?

It sends out DNS queries.  By default it uses UDP, but if you do "set vc"
or use the "ls" command to perform a zone transfer it will use TCP instead.

See RFC 1035 for the detailed specification of UDP packet layout.

--

Level(3), Woburn, MA

1. nslookup IPADDRESS works; nslookup HOSTNAME fails

Hello,

I have a linux box that provides DNS services for a small company.  All name
resolution works for external computers, but I can't resolve internal names.
I can resolve by IP address.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Steve

[root /root]# nslookup work9
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

*** localhost can't find work9: Non-existent host/domain
[root /root]# nslookup work9.
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

*** localhost can't find work9.: Non-existent host/domain
[root /root]# nslookup work9.mydomain.net
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

*** localhost can't find work9.mydomain.net: Non-existent host/domain

[root /root]# nslookup 10.0.4.9
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

Name:    work9.mydomain.net
Address:  10.0.4.9

2. Driver MT-16plus

3. nslookup is work but dig is not work.

4. Request for textbook suggestions

5. Help My comm programs work in windows, but wont work in dos.

6. What is the difference of the following terms?

7. Help Net Diag works in Dos, but doesn't work in Windows

8. Getting back onto network/Bypassing password login

9. Network doesn't work under Win95, though LANtastic 6.0 DOS works perfectly on same machines.

10. Transferring files between work(DOS) and home (WIN95),will not work....Help!!!!!!!

11. alias to in-addr.arpa when doing nslookup

12. NSLookup and DIG using a regular Dos prompt?

13. ping / nslookup not working