Record Rules

Post by Ber » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 08:19:53

If I may beg the assistance of the group, I have a question:
We own a DNS domain, let's say question.com and our ISP hosts the DNS
zone for this domain.  The network team at our headquarters manages
the zone.  We have contracted with a web design group to create and
host, on their physical servers and site, a site for our business
unit.  I have the IP address for the new site.  When I asked our
network group to add a record for the new site and point it to the IP
address of the design groups server, they said they could not.  The
reason, we cannot have a DNS record in our domain that points to an IP
address owned by another entity.  Is this correct?  I have never been
aware of restrictions on DNS records pointing to IP addresses.  Am I
just loosing my mind??  Any info would be appreciated.

Regards,
Bert

Record Rules

Post by Barry Margoli » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 08:28:16

>If I may beg the assistance of the group, I have a question:
>We own a DNS domain, let's say question.com and our ISP hosts the DNS
>zone for this domain.  The network team at our headquarters manages
>the zone.  We have contracted with a web design group to create and
>host, on their physical servers and site, a site for our business
>unit.  I have the IP address for the new site.  When I asked our
>network group to add a record for the new site and point it to the IP
>address of the design groups server, they said they could not.  The
>reason, we cannot have a DNS record in our domain that points to an IP
>address owned by another entity.  Is this correct?  I have never been
>aware of restrictions on DNS records pointing to IP addresses.  Am I
>just loosing my mind??  Any info would be appreciated.

There is no such restriction, it happens all the time when web servers are
hosted off-site (as in your situation).  Enter the A record and it just
works.

--

Level(3), Woburn, MA

Record Rules

Post by Dave Pla » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 08:49:24

>If I may beg the assistance of the group, I have a question:
>We own a DNS domain, let's say question.com and our ISP hosts the DNS
>zone for this domain.  The network team at our headquarters manages
>the zone.  We have contracted with a web design group to create and
>host, on their physical servers and site, a site for our business
>unit.  I have the IP address for the new site.  When I asked our
>network group to add a record for the new site and point it to the IP
>address of the design groups server, they said they could not.  The
>reason, we cannot have a DNS record in our domain that points to an IP
>address owned by another entity.  Is this correct?

No, there's no technical reason at all why this cannot be done.  Your
ISP may have an administrative rule against doing this, but there's
nothing _technical_ which forbids it.

My own domain's server lives in IP space which is the responsibility
of my employer.  My home domain's primary server lives in IP space
which is owned by my home ISP (pacbell.net/sbc.net).  Both work just
fine.

Record Rules

Post by p.. » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 14:36:55

> If I may beg the assistance of the group, I have a question:
> We own a DNS domain, let's say question.com and our ISP hosts the DNS
> zone for this domain.  The network team at our headquarters manages
> the zone.  We have contracted with a web design group to create and
> host, on their physical servers and site, a site for our business
> unit.  I have the IP address for the new site.  When I asked our
> network group to add a record for the new site and point it to the IP
> address of the design groups server, they said they could not.  The
> reason, we cannot have a DNS record in our domain that points to an IP
> address owned by another entity.  Is this correct?  I have never been
> aware of restrictions on DNS records pointing to IP addresses.  Am I
> just loosing my mind??  Any info would be appreciated.

Creating an A record into someone elses address space is possible but
not desirebal. Creating a CNAME that refers to the other sites canonical name
is better.

The problems woth A records in this case are several; problems with coordination
of addresses, PTR problems etc.

Quote:> Regards,

--
Peter H?kanson
        IPSec  Sverige      ( At Gothenburg Riverside )

Record Rules

Post by Richard J. Sexton (At wo » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 22:34:30

>If I may beg the assistance of the group, I have a question:
>We own a DNS domain, let's say question.com and our ISP hosts the DNS
>zone for this domain.  The network team at our headquarters manages
>the zone.  We have contracted with a web design group to create and
>host, on their physical servers and site, a site for our business
>unit.  I have the IP address for the new site.  When I asked our
>network group to add a record for the new site and point it to the IP
>address of the design groups server, they said they could not.  The
>reason, we cannot have a DNS record in our domain that points to an IP
>address owned by another entity.  Is this correct?  I have never been
>aware of restrictions on DNS records pointing to IP addresses.  Am I
>just loosing my mind??  Any info would be appreciated.

Get a new network group. The one you have now are idiots.

--
OE and OEM:  MB, BMW, parts:      http://buyeuroparts.com

1. must CNAME records adhere to RFC 952 naming rules?

We've been trying to eradicate all underscores (and other invalid
characters) from our hostnames so that we can conform to the RFC 952
hostname rules that the BIND named is starting to enforce more
strictly, and a question has come up: must the nicknames specified in
CNAME records follow the same rules?  It seems to me that they should,
but I can't find exactly where in the RFCs it says or implies this.
We noticed that dnswalk doesn't complain about such CNAME records, so
we started wondering.  Note: I'm not trying to knock dnswalk here;
it's a wonderful tool!  I couldn't keep our DNS nearly as clean as it
is without dnswalk.  David Barr, if you're listening, thanks for
writing it and making it available!

2. RTL8019 driver - HELP Needed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. one MX record points to many A records - and only one MX record in domain

4. start page freeze up

5. rules for Cisco PIX 525 firewall rules

6. Using another mail program

7. T3 Rules - Re: ISDN rules - Re: SORRY K56flex U LOSE!!

8. Multiple machine names for SMSIDs

9. Recording Calling Recording?

10. SOA record no longer the first record in a zone

11. No A records to match NS records

12. Are matching "A" records required for "NS" servers if parent has glue records ?