New DNS problems

Post by Jaso » Thu, 08 May 2003 20:24:16

Hi,

I want to replace the NT4 DNS with a linux DNS.
Saying those 2 machines have the same IP.
If all configurations are correct, can I just shut down the NT4 dns service
and start up the linux?  Will this work at all?
Thanks for any help.

Jason

New DNS problems

Post by Barry Margoli » Thu, 08 May 2003 23:11:30

>I want to replace the NT4 DNS with a linux DNS.
>Saying those 2 machines have the same IP.
>If all configurations are correct, can I just shut down the NT4 dns service
>and start up the linux?  Will this work at all?

Sure.  They both implement the same DNS protocol.

For your slave servers to operate properly, make sure the serial numbers of
all the zones on the new server are higher than they were on the old one
(or the same if the data in the zones hasn't changed).

--

Genuity Managed Services, a Level(3) Company, Woburn, MA

New DNS problems

Post by p.. » Fri, 09 May 2003 00:01:31

> Hi,
> I want to replace the NT4 DNS with a linux DNS.
> Saying those 2 machines have the same IP.
> If all configurations are correct, can I just shut down the NT4 dns service
> and start up the linux?  Will this work at all?

Yes.

Just make shure you have valid configuration files and valid data
( NT4 allowed non-standard RR that chokes a standards-conformant nameserver)

Quote:> Thanks for any help.

--
Peter H?kanson
        IPSec  Sverige      ( At Gothenburg Riverside )

New DNS problems

Post by Jaso » Fri, 09 May 2003 12:51:26

Thanks Barry.
My new linux DNS serial number is smaller than the old NT4 dns, I think
that's why I got an SERVFAIL last night.
By the way, are these 2 DNS have to have the same name?

Jason

> >I want to replace the NT4 DNS with a linux DNS.
> >Saying those 2 machines have the same IP.
> >If all configurations are correct, can I just shut down the NT4 dns
service
> >and start up the linux?  Will this work at all?

> Sure.  They both implement the same DNS protocol.

> For your slave servers to operate properly, make sure the serial numbers
of
> all the zones on the new server are higher than they were on the old one
> (or the same if the data in the zones hasn't changed).

> --

> Genuity Managed Services, a Level(3) Company, Woburn, MA
> *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to
newsgroups.
> Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the

group.

New DNS problems

Post by Jaso » Fri, 09 May 2003 12:55:23

Thanks Peter.
But how do I know the configration files are valid if I use the NSLOOKUP and
get SERVFAIL?  Are there any other ways?

Jason

Quote:> > Hi,

> > I want to replace the NT4 DNS with a linux DNS.
> > Saying those 2 machines have the same IP.
> > If all configurations are correct, can I just shut down the NT4 dns
service
> > and start up the linux?  Will this work at all?

> Yes.

> Just make shure you have valid configuration files and valid data
> ( NT4 allowed non-standard RR that chokes a standards-conformant
nameserver)

> > Thanks for any help.

> > Jason

New DNS problems

Post by p.. » Fri, 09 May 2003 15:08:53

> Thanks Peter.
> But how do I know the configration files are valid if I use the NSLOOKUP and
> get SERVFAIL?  Are there any other ways?

bind-9 has two programs, named-checkconf ( that tests named.conf
for validity) and named-checkzone ( that checks a zonefile for errors)

In addition examine the logfiles for possibly signs, and , as always,
look through the actual configuration and zonefiles.

nslookup, well, lets be polite and say "nslookup is obsolete".

dig, dnswalk zonecheck are examples of tools for testing the functions
of dns. And those tools comes into play when all the above has been
completed

--
Peter H?kanson
        IPSec  Sverige      ( At Gothenburg Riverside )

New DNS problems

Post by Fernando Go » Sat, 24 May 2003 03:27:01

Quote:>My new linux DNS serial number is smaller than the old NT4 dns, I think
>that's why I got an SERVFAIL last night.
>By the way, are these 2 DNS have to have the same name?

Do you mean your old NT nameserver and  your new Linux/BIND
nameserver?

If so, they should, as the autthoritative nameserver(s) for the parent
zone delegate authority for your subdomain by means of a NS record,
which contains your nameserver's domain name.

--
Fernando Gont

[To send a personal reply, please remove the ANTISPAM tag]

1. New DNS problem

Hi, I havent fixed the DNS problem yet and I've got a new one :-)

My DNS is in solaris 8, some clientes are win2k
There is a DHCP service in the same box.

The problem is that both services are totally independent, I mean
I want the DNS to resolve the machines names. When the win2k connects
to the net it is assigned an IP and I want the DNS to resolve the name
of this machine. (the name the machine has, not a generic one, I mean
the named defined in win2k) So this name will be dynamic.

Is there any way to make this connection between the DHCP service and
the DNS ?

Thanks
EOT

2. Xinet UID

3. Define new dns of a Linux machine in the DNS Server W2k!

4. Implementing the Chow Kaneko Algorithm/Method for determining threshold value in MATLAB

5. I want to exchange fonts!!

6. New Domain, DNS Problems...

7. New CIDR reverse delegation scheme (was: `Re: reverse dns problems')

8. New to setting up my own DNS - problems w/ granitecanyon

9. problem configuring DNS for new server

10. HELP: Problem with DNS and a new domain.

11. Problems moving DNS server to a new machine