Dynamic DNS providers (redirect domains to dynamic IP addresses)

Dynamic DNS providers (redirect domains to dynamic IP addresses)

Post by Errol Ho » Sun, 11 May 2003 07:32:01

Wanted: Dynamic DNS providers that offer or
        support redirection of domain names
        to dynamically assigned IP addresses

Would you be able to recommend a
Dynamic DNS address Provider?

I am most interested in those providers
that offer the following features:

  1. port redirection that allows the
     bypass of port blocks on port 80 &
     port 25 instituted by some ISPs
     like charter.net (Charter Pipeline).

  2. ability to configure multiple subdomains
     so that they can point to the same IP
     address or to different IP addresses:

        subdomain1.maindomain.com
        subdomain2.maindomain.com

  3. emergency backup feature that can redirect
     HTTP requests from one domain to another
     when a server is offline

Eventually, I may have an interest in adding
the a Dynamic SMTP (Store & Forward) option
but it is not absolutely necessary at this time.

If you use these services, does the following
service provider ranking seem accurate to you?

  http://kvtek.com/ddnsServices.asp

Here are a just a few of the providers listed on
the above site in hopes that any of their names
might be familiar to you:

   www.ZoneEdit.com
   www.dns2go.com
   www.no-ip.com
   www.dynup.net
   www.dyndns.org

I would really like to find ANY fair discussions,
reviews or comparisons of the various Dynamic
DNS Providers so please post any references
you might have to this news group.

For all of those lurkers out there that are
too shy to post, feel free to send me an email
message and I will gladly post it for you
(unless you ask me to keep it private).

Thanks in advance!

Dynamic DNS providers (redirect domains to dynamic IP addresses)

Post by Steve Duff [MVP » Sun, 11 May 2003 08:10:05

DNS does not historically support the concept of
ports at all, so you are unlikely to find that feature
anywhere.

DNS SRV records could be used to implement this,
but no browser or e-mail client I am aware
of would have any idea what to do with them.

Steve Duff, MCSE
Ergodic Systems, Inc.

> Wanted: Dynamic DNS providers that offer or
>         support redirection of domain names
>         to dynamically assigned IP addresses

> Would you be able to recommend a
> Dynamic DNS address Provider?

> I am most interested in those providers
> that offer the following features:

>   1. port redirection that allows the
>      bypass of port blocks on port 80 &
>      port 25 instituted by some ISPs
>      like charter.net (Charter Pipeline).

>   2. ability to configure multiple subdomains
>      so that they can point to the same IP
>      address or to different IP addresses:

>         subdomain1.maindomain.com
>         subdomain2.maindomain.com

>   3. emergency backup feature that can redirect
>      HTTP requests from one domain to another
>      when a server is offline

> Eventually, I may have an interest in adding
> the a Dynamic SMTP (Store & Forward) option
> but it is not absolutely necessary at this time.

> If you use these services, does the following
> service provider ranking seem accurate to you?

>   http://kvtek.com/ddnsServices.asp

> Here are a just a few of the providers listed on
> the above site in hopes that any of their names
> might be familiar to you:

>    www.ZoneEdit.com
>    www.dns2go.com
>    www.no-ip.com
>    www.dynup.net
>    www.dyndns.org

> I would really like to find ANY fair discussions,
> reviews or comparisons of the various Dynamic
> DNS Providers so please post any references
> you might have to this news group.

> For all of those lurkers out there that are
> too shy to post, feel free to send me an email
> message and I will gladly post it for you
> (unless you ask me to keep it private).

> Thanks in advance!

Dynamic DNS providers (redirect domains to dynamic IP addresses)

Post by Barry Margoli » Sun, 11 May 2003 08:39:52

Quote:>DNS does not historically support the concept of
>ports at all, so you are unlikely to find that feature
>anywhere.

But some dynamic DNS providers also run a web server that sends appropriate
redirects to handle this.  It's all part of the package.

--

Genuity Managed Services, a Level(3) Company, Woburn, MA

Dynamic DNS providers (redirect domains to dynamic IP addresses)

Post by Herb Marti » Sun, 11 May 2003 13:25:01

Everything that Steve and Barry said, plus I have used
a couple of those providers.

Dns2go primarily.  They all worked so it is really just a
question of cost/benefit*spam.

The user interfaces at each are pretty irrelevant as you
probably won't use that much.

The PROGRAM that many make you run is a consideration
if it doesn't run well on your systems.  (Open standards would
be a nice feature so you could right your own Perl etc. program.)

Herb Martin

Dynamic DNS providers (redirect domains to dynamic IP addresses)

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Sun, 11 May 2003 13:53:15

www.no-ip.com - is supposed to be good.
I use www.dyndns.org myself, but they don't offer 'reflecting' services that
will forward mail, web traffic, to networks running with blocked ports like
25 or 80 as far as I know - check them out, they've been great for me.

> Wanted: Dynamic DNS providers that offer or
>         support redirection of domain names
>         to dynamically assigned IP addresses

> Would you be able to recommend a
> Dynamic DNS address Provider?

> I am most interested in those providers
> that offer the following features:

>   1. port redirection that allows the
>      bypass of port blocks on port 80 &
>      port 25 instituted by some ISPs
>      like charter.net (Charter Pipeline).

>   2. ability to configure multiple subdomains
>      so that they can point to the same IP
>      address or to different IP addresses:

>         subdomain1.maindomain.com
>         subdomain2.maindomain.com

>   3. emergency backup feature that can redirect
>      HTTP requests from one domain to another
>      when a server is offline

> Eventually, I may have an interest in adding
> the a Dynamic SMTP (Store & Forward) option
> but it is not absolutely necessary at this time.

> If you use these services, does the following
> service provider ranking seem accurate to you?

>   http://kvtek.com/ddnsServices.asp

> Here are a just a few of the providers listed on
> the above site in hopes that any of their names
> might be familiar to you:

>    www.ZoneEdit.com
>    www.dns2go.com
>    www.no-ip.com
>    www.dynup.net
>    www.dyndns.org

> I would really like to find ANY fair discussions,
> reviews or comparisons of the various Dynamic
> DNS Providers so please post any references
> you might have to this news group.

> For all of those lurkers out there that are
> too shy to post, feel free to send me an email
> message and I will gladly post it for you
> (unless you ask me to keep it private).

> Thanks in advance!

Dynamic DNS providers (redirect domains to dynamic IP addresses)

Post by Errol Ho » Wed, 14 May 2003 01:15:04

Dear Herb (and Steve & Barry),

Thanks for the feedback.

> Everything that Steve and Barry said, plus I have used
> a couple of those providers.

> Dns2go primarily.  They all worked so it is really just a
> question of cost/benefit*spam.

What role does SPAM play in this decision?

Quote:> The user interfaces at each are pretty irrelevant as you
> probably won't use that much.

Agreed.

Quote:> The PROGRAM that many make you run is a consideration
> if it doesn't run well on your systems.  (Open standards would
> be a nice feature so you could right your own Perl etc. program.)

Please explain how these optional programs
serve to facilitate these services.

Thanks again!

Dynamic DNS providers (redirect domains to dynamic IP addresses)

Post by Errol Ho » Wed, 14 May 2003 01:26:43

"LAN Wench" wrote ...

Quote:> www.no-ip.com - is supposed to be good.

Dear LAN Wench,

Thanks for the feedback.
Have you run across any comparisons
or reviews of the various providers
offering dynamic DNS services?

Quote:> I use www.dyndns.org myself, but they don't offer 'reflecting' services that
> will forward mail, web traffic, to networks running with blocked ports like
> 25 or 80 as far as I know - check them out, they've been great for me.

I will check them out.

Thanks again!

PS. That sure is a wild handle!
    Care to share its origin?

http://tinyurl.com/bkbj

> > Wanted: Dynamic DNS providers that offer or
> >         support redirection of domain names
> >         to dynamically assigned IP addresses

> > Would you be able to recommend a
> > Dynamic DNS address Provider?

> > I am most interested in those providers
> > that offer the following features:

> >   1. port redirection that allows the
> >      bypass of port blocks on port 80 &
> >      port 25 instituted by some ISPs
> >      like charter.net (Charter Pipeline).

> >   2. ability to configure multiple subdomains
> >      so that they can point to the same IP
> >      address or to different IP addresses:

> >         subdomain1.maindomain.com
> >         subdomain2.maindomain.com

> >   3. emergency backup feature that can redirect
> >      HTTP requests from one domain to another
> >      when a server is offline

> > Eventually, I may have an interest in adding
> > the a Dynamic SMTP (Store & Forward) option
> > but it is not absolutely necessary at this time.

> > If you use these services, does the following
> > service provider ranking seem accurate to you?

> >   http://kvtek.com/ddnsServices.asp

> > Here are a just a few of the providers listed on
> > the above site in hopes that any of their names
> > might be familiar to you:

> >    www.ZoneEdit.com
> >    www.dns2go.com
> >    www.no-ip.com
> >    www.dynup.net
> >    www.dyndns.org

> > I would really like to find ANY fair discussions,
> > reviews or comparisons of the various Dynamic
> > DNS Providers so please post any references
> > you might have to this news group.

> > For all of those lurkers out there that are
> > too shy to post, feel free to send me an email
> > message and I will gladly post it for you
> > (unless you ask me to keep it private).

> > Thanks in advance!

Dynamic DNS providers (redirect domains to dynamic IP addresses)

Post by Herb Marti » Wed, 14 May 2003 11:06:11

Quote:> > Dns2go primarily.  They all worked so it is really just a
> > question of cost/benefit*spam.

> What role does SPAM play in this decision?

Sorry for the confusion -- it was partialy a jibe at these
services -- and I thought it was also obvious.  Being
free or cheap, many of these services "dun you for
upgrades" or otherwise "provide your name to spam"
to make money.

Given that you post on UseNet, this is no longer much
of an issue relative to the total spam you likely receive.

Quote:> > The PROGRAM that many make you run is a consideration
> > if it doesn't run well on your systems.  (Open standards would
> > be a nice feature so you could right your own Perl etc. program.)

> Please explain how these optional programs
> serve to facilitate these services.

The system preceded standards for Dynamic DNS, work
much for clients which don't do dynamic DNS, must work
somewhat securely for arbitrary systems from arbitrary
customers, all without using modern or vendor specific
(secure) dynamic update methods.

They usually do this by giving you an program to install on the
dynamic client -- say a router or NAT that gets a DHCP assigned
address from your ISP -- so that the dynamic IP can be registered
with THEIR DNS server.

Usually there is provision for some sort of password/ID so that
no one else can (presumably) hijack your name resolution and
thereby your web presense.

--
Herb Martin

> Dear Herb (and Steve & Barry),

> Thanks for the feedback.

> > Everything that Steve and Barry said, plus I have used
> > a couple of those providers.

> > Dns2go primarily.  They all worked so it is really just a
> > question of cost/benefit*spam.

> What role does SPAM play in this decision?

> > The user interfaces at each are pretty irrelevant as you
> > probably won't use that much.

> Agreed.

> > The PROGRAM that many make you run is a consideration
> > if it doesn't run well on your systems.  (Open standards would
> > be a nice feature so you could right your own Perl etc. program.)

> Please explain how these optional programs
> serve to facilitate these services.

> Thanks again!

1. Use a Domain Name with a Dynamic IP Address [re: IP Address]

    If you have your own domain name and want to host your own web pages
using your own equipment, you don't have to have a STATIC IP address.

    Real-Time Business Systems, www.Real-TimeBusSys.Com/dynamicip.asp is now
offering Dynamic Domain Service. Using our DNS servers, we will dynamically
alias your IP address to your domain name. That way people looking for your
domain name will be transparently redirected to your IP address.

    The advantage is that you can use your own equipment and your wide-pipe
cable connection to run and manage your internet presence. Also, for the
many cable users whose providers don't offer Static IP's, this is an
inexpensive solution.

Real-Time Business Systems
www.Real-TimeBusSys.Com

2. Backup tuning

3. Dynamic dynamic IP addresses

4. Intel 14.4

5. Is ANY provider doing dynamic IP addressing

6. Software jitter correction for bad Audio-CD's ?

7. Static domain name for Dynamic (DHCP) IP address

8. Domain name registration for dynamic IP address

9. domain names, dns and dynamic IP assignment

10. Dynamic DNS updates with IP Helper Address DHCP

11. Dynamic IP address for DNS ?