Can't find A record, can find MX record.

Can't find A record, can find MX record.

Post by Jaso » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 18:15:11



Hi,

What could be wrong I can find my MX record, but I can't find my A record?
My linux dns is RedHat 7.3, I use the bindconf tool.
Any help will be appreciated.

Jason

###### mydomain.com.zone

   2003053010 ; serial
   15 ; refresh
   15 ; retry
   15 ; expire
   15 ; ttl
   )


dns IN A 1.2.3.4
localhost IN A 127.0.0.1

###### 3.2.1.in-addr.arpa.zone

   2003053010 ; serial
   15 ; refresh
   15 ; retry
   15 ; expire
   15 ; ttk
   )

4 IN PTR dns.mydomain.com.

 
 
 

Can't find A record, can find MX record.

Post by Barry Margoli » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 23:41:35



>What could be wrong I can find my MX record, but I can't find my A record?
>My linux dns is RedHat 7.3, I use the bindconf tool.
>Any help will be appreciated.

What A record are you looking for?  You don't have an A record for the
domain itself, just for dns.mydomain.com and localhost.mail.com.  The MX
record points to mail.mydomain.com, but there are no records at all for
that name.

If this was just an omission during the posting, not in the real zone
files, then I suggest you post your real files instead of these obviously
faked-up substitutes.  Posts like this are like sending a friend to the
doctor's office for you.

>###### mydomain.com.zone
>$TTL 15


There needs to be a space before the "(".

>   2003053010 ; serial
>   15 ; refresh
>   15 ; retry
>   15 ; expire
>   15 ; ttl
>   )



>dns IN A 1.2.3.4
>localhost IN A 127.0.0.1

>###### 3.2.1.in-addr.arpa.zone
>$TTL 15

>   2003053010 ; serial
>   15 ; refresh
>   15 ; retry
>   15 ; expire
>   15 ; ttk
>   )


>4 IN PTR dns.mydomain.com.

--

Level(3), Woburn, MA
*** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.
Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the group.

 
 
 

Can't find A record, can find MX record.

Post by Jaso » Wed, 04 Jun 2003 16:24:03


Thanks Barry.
I add the A record to mydomain.com, and the DNS is working OK.





> >What could be wrong I can find my MX record, but I can't find my A
record?
> >My linux dns is RedHat 7.3, I use the bindconf tool.
> >Any help will be appreciated.

> What A record are you looking for?  You don't have an A record for the
> domain itself, just for dns.mydomain.com and localhost.mail.com.  The MX
> record points to mail.mydomain.com, but there are no records at all for
> that name.

> If this was just an omission during the posting, not in the real zone
> files, then I suggest you post your real files instead of these obviously
> faked-up substitutes.  Posts like this are like sending a friend to the
> doctor's office for you.

> >###### mydomain.com.zone
> >$TTL 15

> There needs to be a space before the "(".

> >   2003053010 ; serial
> >   15 ; refresh
> >   15 ; retry
> >   15 ; expire
> >   15 ; ttl
> >   )



> >dns IN A 1.2.3.4
> >localhost IN A 127.0.0.1

> >###### 3.2.1.in-addr.arpa.zone
> >$TTL 15

> >   2003053010 ; serial
> >   15 ; refresh
> >   15 ; retry
> >   15 ; expire
> >   15 ; ttk
> >   )


> >4 IN PTR dns.mydomain.com.

> --

> Level(3), Woburn, MA
> *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to
newsgroups.
> Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the

group.
 
 
 

1. one MX record points to many A records - and only one MX record in domain

Do you think this might cause anybody any problems - rather than have
many MX records with one A record for each?

Query: uk.mcd.com.      Query type: MX record
Recursive query: Yes    Authoritative answer: Yes
Query time: 328 ms.     Server name: n/a

Answer:
        uk.mcd.com.     3600    MX      10  mc.va3.ummail.com.

Authority:
        mcd.com.        3600    NS      bigmac1.mcd.com.

Additional:
        mc.va3.ummail.com.      2268    A       66.187.242.16
        mc.va3.ummail.com.      2268    A       66.187.242.17
        mc.va3.ummail.com.      2268    A       66.187.242.18
        mc.va3.ummail.com.      2268    A       66.187.242.19
        mc.va3.ummail.com.      2268    A       66.187.242.20
        mc.va3.ummail.com.      2268    A       66.187.242.21
        mc.va3.ummail.com.      2268    A       66.187.242.22
        mc.va3.ummail.com.      2268    A       66.187.242.23
        bigmac1.mcd.com.        3600    A       152.140.28.201

2. Los Cost Hardware / Computing Products

3. sendmail does not find mx record for aclvb.be

4. Can't Use Shared Borders in my Web

5. Finding MX Records

6. Combinet Everywhere 2050 & 2060???

7. Finding MX records

8. (GDI+) Brush used by Form default background

9. Found mx / A record problem but how do i fix it?

10. sendmail.mx doesn't use mx records

11. Alcatel revisionist PR document (someone's gonna get canned over this!)

12. one MX record points to many A records

13. Help with MX records and CNAME records