Soa record for quick changes

Post by Svenne Kra » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 20:07:22

Hi there.

We are going to implement some changes, that require su to change all
dns-records in a matter of few minutes (a quarter of an hour is
acceptable).

We have currently lowered the TTL to 10 minutes, but are there other
(SOA) settings, that needs to be changed in advance to make sure the
zone can be changed in a blink with the eyes ?

Tia

Svenne

Soa record for quick changes

Post by Barry Margoli » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 00:22:01

Quote:>Hi there.

>We are going to implement some changes, that require su to change all
>dns-records in a matter of few minutes (a quarter of an hour is
>acceptable).

>We have currently lowered the TTL to 10 minutes, but are there other
>(SOA) settings, that needs to be changed in advance to make sure the
>zone can be changed in a blink with the eyes ?

If the servers all support the NOTIFY protocol, and you list all the slave
servers in NS records in the zone or the also-notify statement in the
named.conf file, then lowering the TTL should be sufficient.

If there are some servers that won't receive the NOTIFY request or can't
process it (e.g. they're running BIND 4) then you should also lower the
Refresh time.

--

Level(3), Woburn, MA