setting up DNS for .name gTLD domains

setting up DNS for .name gTLD domains

Post by Jonathan de Boyne Pollar » Fri, 02 May 2003 06:36:16



A> We have a customer who has recently registered one of these new
A> .name domains with Verisign (NetSol), and now want us to host
A> their site and email for them. [...]
A> [...] how should we configure our DNS?

You say that your customer wants you to provide its HTTP content service
and SMTP Relay service.  However, you don't say that your customer wants
you to provide its DNS content service.

If your customer doesn't want you to provide its DNS content service,
then you don't need to do _anything_ to your DNS servers at all.  The
only servers that you need be concerned with are your HTTP content
servers and your SMTP Relay servers, both of which should be told (in
whatever way is appropriate for your choice of softwares) that they are
to provide their respective services for your customer's domain, in
addition to what domains they already provide service for.  This
reconfiguration of those servers has nothing to do with the DNS.

If your customer actually does want you to provide its DNS content
service, then all that you do is create an appropriate "forward lookup"
"zone", the same as you have already done for all of the other "zone"s
that your DNS content services already serve.



If your customer owns "bloggs.name.", then it has (and thus you have,
assuming that it wants you to provide its DNS content service for it)
the power to determine what the SMTP Relay server for "bloggs.name." is,

are routed.  If, however, your customer only owns "fred.bloggs.name.",
then neither it nor you have the power to determine what the SMTP Relay
server for "bloggs.name." is.  That power belongs to the owner(s) of
"bloggs.name.".

 
 
 

setting up DNS for .name gTLD domains

Post by Barry Margoli » Fri, 02 May 2003 23:16:56




Quote:>If your customer owns "bloggs.name."

I don't think individual customers can own <lastname>.name.  I believe the
way the .name TLD works is that Joe Bloggs can own joe.bloggs.name, and
Jane Bloggs can own jane.bloggs.name, but all the Bloggs's *share*
bloggs.name, which is administered by the .name TLD registrar.

--

Genuity Managed Services, a Level(3) Company, Woburn, MA
*** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.
Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the group.

 
 
 

setting up DNS for .name gTLD domains

Post by Daniel R. Tobi » Sat, 03 May 2003 05:28:03





> >If your customer owns "bloggs.name."

> I don't think individual customers can own <lastname>.name.  I believe the
> way the .name TLD works is that Joe Bloggs can own joe.bloggs.name, and
> Jane Bloggs can own jane.bloggs.name, but all the Bloggs's *share*
> bloggs.name, which is administered by the .name TLD registrar.

That's true.  However, the .name registry makes email addresses within

being forwarded to another address of the registrant's choosing.
Nothing special needs to be set up with DNS anywhere else; just set up
a normal email box under any other address (including


--
Dan

 
 
 

setting up DNS for .name gTLD domains

Post by Barry Margoli » Sat, 03 May 2003 05:50:20








>> >If your customer owns "bloggs.name."

>> I don't think individual customers can own <lastname>.name.  I believe the
>> way the .name TLD works is that Joe Bloggs can own joe.bloggs.name, and
>> Jane Bloggs can own jane.bloggs.name, but all the Bloggs's *share*
>> bloggs.name, which is administered by the .name TLD registrar.

>That's true.  However, the .name registry makes email addresses within

>being forwarded to another address of the registrant's choosing.
>Nothing special needs to be set up with DNS anywhere else; just set up
>a normal email box under any other address (including



Do you even need to tell them that, or do they automatically forward

I went to www.nic.name, but there's a paucity of technical information
there.  I also tried reading the original proposal that was submitted to
ICANN regarding the .name TLD; it mentioned that this type of mail
addressing would be supported, but didn't go into detail about how.

--

Genuity Managed Services, a Level(3) Company, Woburn, MA
*** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.
Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the group.

 
 
 

setting up DNS for .name gTLD domains

Post by Daniel R. Tobi » Sat, 03 May 2003 22:42:41



> Do you even need to tell them that, or do they automatically forward


It could vary by registrar.  The ones I've done, I had to indicate
specifically what address to forward to, and could change it whenever
I wanted.

--
Dan

 
 
 

1. setting up DNS for .name gTLD domains

We have a customer who has recently registered one of these new .name
domains with Verisign (NetSol), and now want us to host their site and email
for them.

The .name domains work in the following manner:

www.fred.bloggs.name points to their web site (Fred Bloggs is just an
example!)

From looking at message headers, it would appear that their email address is

this.

My question is, how should we configure our DNS? - I could create a
fred.bloggs.name zone, which would presumable handle the web site (if I
added a www host obviously), but how do we handle the email? - Specifically

I don't want to change the NSs to point to ours (it's currently using
NetSols NS), until I'm sure I can set it up in the correct manner!

Surely someone must have done this?! - Any ideas.

TIA,
A.

2. FKey

3. .Com domain listing non-gtld name servers

4. NPA Dialpulse Length (was Re: 617/508 Split)

5. setting up a ROOT domain on DNS and delegating name space questions

6. HELP!!!-2 line 900 digital cordless advice in USA to buy

7. help with setting up a domain name with DNS

8. Christmas toys

9. DNS lookup on one domain with DNS for a domain without an internal DNS server

10. setting up domain name for web server name

11. DNS lookup on one domain with DNS for a domain without an in ternal DNS server

12. Need Info about setting up Domain Name services (named) on network

13. Does a DNS name have to be different than the domain name?