List of TLDs, CCTLDs and SLDs like co.uk

Post by Malte Starosti » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 04:42:51

Hi,

does anyone know if and where there is a complete list of TLDs, country code
TLDs and second level domains for those CCTLDs that always have a 2nd
level, like co.uk, edu.au etc. available?
I need it to strip all levels from an FQDN up to the highest level that is
not an official domain name.
e.g. if a host is named foo.bar.com I need my library to know that bar.com
is the highest "customer" domain, while for mypc.lan it's only lan. (yeah,
this should probably be mypc.lan.invalid, but real life isn't like that :-)
and for somehost.somedept.somecorp.com.tw somecorp.com.tw is the highest
domain.
Ideally that list would also include entries like somedom.de.vu, but that's
not too important.

Many TIA,
-Malte

PS: for those who care it's about a WPAD implementation that has to locate
an automatic proxy config script using a well-known name based on the
client's host name. Like if my host is called mypc.aa.a.example.co.uk the
implementation first tries to lookup and A or CNAME record for wpad.aa.a
example.co.uk, then wpad.a.example.co.uk, then wpad.example.co.uk but not
wpad.co.uk, wpad.uk or wpad.

List of TLDs, CCTLDs and SLDs like co.uk

Post by Jonathan de Boyne Pollar » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 11:23:34

MS> does anyone know if and where there is a complete list of TLDs,
MS> country code TLDs and second level domains for those CCTLDs that
MS> always have a 2nd level, like co.uk, edu.au etc. available?

<URL:http://perl.plover.com./Questions3.html>

The answer, given that, is "Yes.".

MS> I need it to strip all levels from an FQDN up to the highest
MS> level that is not an official domain name.

The identity function does that.  _All_ domain names in the public DNS
database are official, inasmuch as any of them can be said to be so.

MS> [...] the implementation first tries to lookup [...]

Stop when you reach a domain name suffix that has a non-empty "SOA" resource
record set.  A comprehensive list of delegation points is not what you need at
all.

List of TLDs, CCTLDs and SLDs like co.uk

Post by Peter Ko » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 22:24:24

>does anyone know if and where there is a complete list of TLDs, country code
>TLDs and second level domains for those CCTLDs that always have a 2nd

[...]

Quote:>client's host name. Like if my host is called mypc.aa.a.example.co.uk the
>implementation first tries to lookup and A or CNAME record for wpad.aa.a
>example.co.uk, then wpad.a.example.co.uk, then wpad.example.co.uk but not
>wpad.co.uk, wpad.uk or wpad.

You better solve this via resolver mechanisms. Any attempt to collect and
maintain such a list has a pretty high chance of failure, because the
registry-like 2nd level domains are not the only ones to take care of.
Instead of basing the decision on knowing or guessing which domain names
are out of the clients's control it should use positive knowledge (i.e.
explicitly list those which it knows can be "trusted" as sources of service).
See RFC 1535 for a more detailed discussion.

-Peter

List of TLDs, CCTLDs and SLDs like co.uk

Post by Barry Margoli » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 22:29:24

Quote:>Stop when you reach a domain name suffix that has a non-empty "SOA" resource
>record set.  A comprehensive list of delegation points is not what you need at
>all.

Lots of corporate subdomains have SOA records, but I don't think he wants
to stop at things like engineering.company.com -- he wants to keep going to
company.com.

--

Level(3), Woburn, MA

List of TLDs, CCTLDs and SLDs like co.uk

Post by Jonathan de Boyne Pollar » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 00:50:17

BM> Lots of corporate subdomains have SOA records, but I don't think
BM> he wants to stop at things like engineering.company.com -- he
BM> wants to keep going to company.com.

He didn't say one way or the other.  However, it's not unreasonable to
suppose, given his description of what he is doing, that he might indeed want
exactly that.  He might well want the administrative boundaries for his
"automatic proxy config script" to align with the administrative boundaries of
the DNS, and may well indeed want a search to stop at
"engineering.company.com." if that happens to be a "zone" apex.  As Peter Koch
pointed out, there's precedent for that sort of thing being a good idea.  (-:
There's also evidence, from the world of Active Directory, for the belief that
when large organizations have subdomains that are independent enough to manage
their own namespace, they generally try to avoid mechanisms that are capable
of accidentally being used to apply default settings globally across all
subdomains.

And, as Peter also pointed out, if one chooses not to use the information that
is readily available in the DNS database for this, the other reasonable
solution is to simply require an administrator to explicitly supply the list
of domain names whose subdomains will be searched in the manner described.

1. Domains with 2 levels assigned (as .ac.uk, .co.uk, ...)

Some countries domain assignement policy have two levels defined
before the organization itself. Generally, the level after the
country code corresponds to the type of organization
(academic, commercial, mil, gov, etc...).

For the needs of an application I'm searching the list of all those
domains. I already know that .at, .au, .il, .nz and .uk use this,
but for some it seems even more complicated (.oz.au).

Also is this a generic rule for the countries having accepted this
mechanism or are there exceptions?

The .us domain also has some geographic dictated attribution, how
many levels are attributed there?

Is there any accessible document describing the attribution in the
several countries?

Please respond by email, I'll summarize for the net.

--
Christophe Wolfhugel      | "X.400: An introduction to snail-email", available

2. HP 855C Inkjet printing with 1040STe???

3. x2 code compared ( US vs UK ) on UK lines to UK ISP

4. "Clone" tool

5. neil@zen.co.uk

6. ECDC hangs when doing large recordings (Adaptec SCSI)

7. Allitcertkiller.com study guides are cheaper than the testking.co.uk

8. SUMMARY: DB13W3 Monitor Cables Needed

9. STROWGER - Telephone Exchange WWW Page http://www.seg.co.uk/telecomm

10. http://x2.dejanews.com/profile.xp?author=Tony@halmarax.demon.co.uk

11. .uk.co Domain Wiped Off Face of Internet