Move domain name to different host

Post by Mike Whippl » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 05:28:23

Is my thinking correct?

We use two ISPs to host our domains (all but one of the domains are on one
ISP, we want to move that one domain over to the different ISP).

I say the fewest risks are presented by purchasing a new domain name, then
moving the contents from the old domain into the new. Leave the old domain
up and running for a year, but redirect to the new domain. After a year,
close the single account and let the name expire.

A better alternative would be ...?

Post by Barry Margoli » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 07:19:35

>Is my thinking correct?

>We use two ISPs to host our domains (all but one of the domains are on one
>ISP, we want to move that one domain over to the different ISP).

Are you just changing DNS hosting providers, or also web hosting?

Quote:>I say the fewest risks are presented by purchasing a new domain name, then
>moving the contents from the old domain into the new. Leave the old domain
>up and running for a year, but redirect to the new domain. After a year,
>close the single account and let the name expire.

>A better alternative would be ...?

Have the new ISP load your domain onto their servers.  Update the
registration of the domain to point to their servers.  Have the old ISP
remove the domain from their servers.

--

Level(3), Woburn, MA

1. How to map a host name in one domain to host name of another domain?

I have a host in my primary domain east.xxx.org.
I want to map this east.xxx.org to www.myxyzdomain.com . So that people can
use www.myxyzdomain.com instead of east.xxx.org. Where abcddomain.com is
registered in the comTLD with NS pointing to ns1.xxx.org and ns2.xxx.org.

Is it possible to do that above? What command in the ISC DNS-Bind 9.2.1
should I use to achieve the above scenario.?
I have something like this in xxx.org zone file

            east.xxx.org 600 A 111.222.333.444

Appreciate any help

Sam

2. Long distance services/Prepaid calling cards

3. moved server, different subnet, how to maintain original domain name?

4. Mainframe Surround Tools for Sun OS

5. Domain and host - same name, different machines?

6. DNS Domain Suffix Search Order

7. different mx records for different hosts on the same domain

8. New Computer Club in North West London

9. Does a DNS name have to be different than the domain name?

10. domain name as host name?

11. Domain name as host name?

12. New domain, editing named.boot (and/or named.hosts)

13. Domain Name Used as Host Name