ncurses and terminal

Post by Matthias Pierot » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 02:55:02

Hi NG,

I'm writing a c++ application to display some text with ncurses. I have some
problems:

1. How can I change my terminal to can_change_colors? The function returns
false.
2. I have a text over 80x25 chars. I want to run my program in a konsole but
the 80x25 chars should fill the whole screen. How can this be done? Change
the resolution? How?
3. The blink of ncurses doesn't work in konsole-modus (Ctrl,ALT + F2). In a
normal terminal it works.

Thanx in advance

Matthias

ncurses and terminal

Post by Thomas Dicke » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 21:50:28

> Hi NG,
> I'm writing a c++ application to display some text with ncurses. I have some
> problems:
> 1. How can I change my terminal to can_change_colors? The function returns
> false.

it depends on the terminal type ($TERM should match the terminal's capabilities).
linux console can - though I notice Redhat (mis)applies a patch to disable it.

Quote:> 2. I have a text over 80x25 chars. I want to run my program in a konsole but
> the 80x25 chars should fill the whole screen. How can this be done? Change
> the resolution? How?
> 3. The blink of ncurses doesn't work in konsole-modus (Ctrl,ALT + F2). In a
> normal terminal it works.

afaik, konsole doesn't support blinking text -
most terminal emulators in X do not.

--

http://dickey.his.com
ftp://dickey.his.com

ncurses and terminal

Post by Matthias Pierot » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 22:37:12

Hi,

about colors: In the ncurses.h there are only 8 color-constants. I heard
that ncurses can use 16 colors. How?

Thanx

Matthias

ncurses and terminal

Post by Thomas Dicke » Sun, 02 Mar 2003 00:07:51

> Hi,
> about colors: In the ncurses.h there are only 8 color-constants. I heard
> that ncurses can use 16 colors. How?

those are predefined constants - colors with standard assignments/names.

a few terminals (with corresponding terminal descriptions) allow you to set
color codes 8-15.  See the discussion of init_pair in the manpage:  COLOR_PAIRS
is set from the terminal description, and would be 16 in this case.

--

http://dickey.his.com
ftp://dickey.his.com

1. Terminal problem with ncurses

Hi.

We've got a small application that uses ncurses and runs on Linux. The
program works fine on the linux console and when telnetting in from a
Windows 2000 workstation (using the default Win2000 telnet application).
Unfortunately, all other telnet / terminal programs I've tried fail to
display anything (the screen is supposed to clear on startup, but doesn't
even get that far).

I'm assuming it's a terminal emulation problem, but don't know where to get
more information. The non-working terminal emulators are Sun's TelnetW, an
inhouse developed Telnet application, Windows 98 Telnet and Conductor.

Any pointers appreciated.

Julian

2. Microsoft Delta ?

3. Please Help - HP Scanjet 4c ands NT

4. Best Performance per Price in PII Processor

5. Using ncurses under vxworks 5.3.1 / Tornado

6. HP 200 LX Frustration: no email in phonelist app. Possible to replace w/ new package?

7. Ncurses for vxWorks...

8. FREE 8" diskettes

9. Ncurses: re: A library for printing on screen

10. vim configure can't find ncurses

11. little editor choosy about ncurses

12. JED: ncurses vs. slang