Fastest VGA VLB card...

Post by Jean-Hugues ROY » Fri, 17 Mar 1995 06:49:31

Does someone know what is the fastest VGA VLB car for playing action games like DOOM or DESCENT

(320x200 or 640x480)...

thanks for the reply ?

Fastest VGA VLB card...

Post by Ian CR Maples » Fri, 17 Mar 1995 21:17:25

>Does someone know what is the fastest VGA VLB car for playing action games like DOOM or DESCENT

>(320x200 or 640x480)...

>thanks for the reply ?

The Tseng 32i series are apparently rather good. Increasing your memory from 4
meg to 8 meg also helps a lot.

The best place to ask your question would be rec.games.computer.doom.help, as
there are many there who have already had to answer your question.

Ian.

PS. Follow-ups set.

The Doom Help Service (DHS).
Co-ordinator of rec.games.computer.doom.help.

WWW addresses:

  Home page:     http://www.cee.hw.ac.uk/~mapleson/
  DHS:           http://www.cee.hw.ac.uk/~mapleson/doom/doom.html
  Help Archive:  http://www.cee.hw.ac.uk/~mapleson/doom/doomhelp.zip
  Dissertation:  http://www.cee.hw.ac.uk/~mapleson/diss/diss.html
  SGI Info:      http://www.cee.hw.ac.uk/~mapleson/sgistuff/sgindex.html

Fastest VGA VLB card...

Post by David Scho » Sat, 18 Mar 1995 01:20:39

: Does someone know what is the fastest VGA VLB car for playing action games like DOOM or DESCENT

: (320x200 or 640x480)...

: thanks for the reply ?

Try the Hercules Dynamite Pro or the Hercules Dynamite Power.  Both
of them are based upon the Tseng ET4000WP chip and are very fast
at DOS apps and games.

Dave

Fastest VGA VLB card...

Post by Olaf Goen » Sat, 18 Mar 1995 01:33:48

: Does someone know what is the fastest VGA VLB car for playing action games like DOOM or DESCENT

: (320x200 or 640x480)...

Neraly all new modern VLB-Graphic cards have the same speed in this mode:
choose a card with one of the following chips:
S3-864, ET4000W32i/p, ATI MACH32/64

You will see no difference in the nonaccalereted 256-color Modes.

--

* Olaf Goener                                                   *

Fastest VGA VLB card...

Post by Marc Na » Sun, 19 Mar 1995 06:21:17

: Does someone know what is the fastest VGA VLB car for playing action games like DOOM or DESCENT

: (320x200 or 640x480)...

Try an ATI Mach64 Pro Turbo with 4 megs of VRAM :)  Both PCI and VESA
versions are available.

Although some may say that the Diamond Stealth 64 is faster, but it ain't.

--

:::          Fidonet: 1:127/131                 ::: (905)934-4055 / 28.8k
:::             X.25: 302020700519              ::: *,Anime,RPG,Audio,

Fastest VGA VLB card...

Post by Vijay Narayan Ramasubramani » Sun, 19 Mar 1995 14:11:40

> Does someone know what is the fastest VGA VLB car for playing action games like DOOM or DESCENT
> (320x200 or 640x480)...
> thanks for the reply ?

I would have to say that most probably, the card you're inquiring about
is a Diamond Stealth 32.  It's got a Tseng ET4000 W32p, and this chip is
widely regarded as the best DOS performer available.  Plus, Diamond
always does proprietary stuff to their boards, i.e. overclocking the
graphics chip, etc.  After they overclock the chip, they highly optimize
board design, i.e. shortening paths.  Fianlly, the Stealth 32 uses
interleaved DRAM which virtually acieves VRAM performance.

--

Fastest VGA VLB card...

Post by Shawn Cra » Tue, 21 Mar 1995 17:39:01

: Does someone know what is the fastest VGA VLB car for playing action games like DOOM or DESCENT

: (320x200 or 640x480)...

: thanks for the reply ?

I think one of the * mags did alot of DOS based benchmarks on different
video cards and I believe that the PCI bus version of the Diamond Stealth
64 with 2M Dram had the overall best performance with the VLB bus version
coming in just a little behind it.

I personally own the VLB version of the diamond stealth 64 but with only
1M Dram, and its on a 486dx4/100 system and it has ran Doom at a faster
framerate than my friends P66.  I'm not sure what video card he has, but
it is a PCI card.

Shawn Crain

Fastest VGA VLB card...

Post by s.. » Wed, 22 Mar 1995 09:17:18

I think one of the * mags did alot of DOS based benchmarks on different

Quote:> video cards and I believe that the PCI bus version of the Diamond Stealth
> 64 with 2M Dram had the overall best performance with the VLB bus version
> coming in just a little behind it.

> I personally own the VLB version of the diamond stealth 64 but with only
> 1M Dram, and its on a 486dx4/100 system and it has ran Doom at a faster
> framerate than my friends P66.  I'm not sure what video card he has, but
> it is a PCI card.

> Shawn Crain

just wondering, what kind of performance do you get out of windows, and are
there any conflicts with any games or software that you can think of? I just
bought a ATI Graphics Xpression w/2 megs DRAM and there are some conflicts that
are forcing me to take it back and buy another card, I was looking at the
Stealth 64. any info would be great.

regards

Stu

Fastest VGA VLB card...

Post by Jorge F. Delgado Mendo » Thu, 23 Mar 1995 02:28:07

: Does someone know what is the fastest VGA VLB car for playing action games like DOOM or DESCENT

: (320x200 or 640x480)...

: thanks for the reply ?

I also think ET4KW32p is one of the best dumb-framebuffer performers, (I
would suggest Hercules Dynamite Power or Cardex Challenger), but there is a
new chipset called ARK2000 (a 64 bit one) that is IMHO far superior.

For a framebuffer speed, I suggest looking at the VGA.FAQ that can be found
in the PC video newsgroup. It's very well done and quite clear.

| Jorge Fernando Delgado | were thick, and formahaut was above the horizon, |
| Madrid Telecom, Spain  | I typed gcc, and lo!!!, it did compile.          |
"A much discussed alternative to homogeneous big bang nucleosynthesis has been
 the first-order quark-hadron phase-transition-inspired inhomogeneous model."

Fastest VGA VLB card...

Post by Dennis Schindl » Fri, 24 Mar 1995 04:01:00

: Does someone know what is the fastest VGA VLB car for playing action gam
ke DOOM or DESCENT

Whenever somebody asks this kind of question I see the same answer: the
ET4000wi or whatever from Tseng Labs. Fine, but I think cards
using this are in the $150-200 price range. The Cardex Mirage
with a UMC85C418 chip gets > 18000 on Landmark's Dos video speed
and sells in the $70-75 price range. The money you would save
buying this card would buy you Dark Forces and Myst, and you wouldn't
notice any difference.
Just my two centimes worth :).

Fastest VGA VLB card...

Post by dkni.. » Sat, 25 Mar 1995 06:34:53

>: Does someone know what is the fastest VGA VLB car for playing action games like DOOM or DESCENT

>I think one of the * mags did alot of DOS based benchmarks on different
>video cards and I believe that the PCI bus version of the Diamond Stealth
>64 with 2M Dram had the overall best performance with the VLB bus version
>coming in just a little behind it.
>Shawn Crain

Why would the DRAM version of the Diamond Stealth 64 run faster than the
2 Meg VRAM or 4 Meg VRAM versions?  They are quite a bit more expensive, but
in my personal experience VRAM just seems to run faster than DRAM?  Somebody
please correct me if I an wrong.  But to my knowledge the fastest card for
DOS video is the PCI Diamond Stealth 64 4 Megs VRAM (or 2 Meg VRAM, depending
on the resolution and # of colors).  I have a P5-90 w/ S-64 2 Meg VRAM and it
gets the highest DOS video scores I have seen using PC-BENCH v9.0 available
from www.ziff.com, or their ftp site also.

--

     "If at first it doesn't succeed, debug it and then it will."

Fastest VGA VLB card...

Post by David Moo » Mon, 27 Mar 1995 01:31:34

>>: Does someone know what is the fastest VGA VLB car for playing action games like DOOM or DESCENT

>Why would the DRAM version of the Diamond Stealth 64 run faster than the
>2 Meg VRAM or 4 Meg VRAM versions?  They are quite a bit more expensive, but
>in my personal experience VRAM just seems to run faster than DRAM?  Somebody
>please correct me if I an wrong.

You are probably not wrong, but neither might be the original poster. Can
the DRAM parts be clocked faster than the VRAM parts? If so, then the
DRAM might run faster when you are only updating a small part of the
screen at a time.

Consider this scenario: The games code only updates the screen during
horizontal and vertical retrace. This is an old technique required on
really old graphics cards to avoid screen noise caused by simultaneous
attempts to read and write to a single address.

Now suppose the DRAM card completes an update within a single horizontal
retrace while the VRAM card just fails to finish. The VRAM card will appear
to be twice as slow. (Of course, the DRAM card may take n retraces while the
VRAM takes n+m, in general)

As a result, on this code, the DRAM card is faster, even though on Windows
(which presumably does not contain such code since it won't run on those
adapters anyway) will show the VRAM card to be faster.

As always with benchmarks, your mileage may vary.

Fastest VGA VLB card...

Post by Michael S. Hartm » Fri, 31 Mar 1995 04:00:00

: Why would the DRAM version of the Diamond Stealth 64 run faster than the
: 2 Meg VRAM or 4 Meg VRAM versions?  They are quite a bit more expensive, but
: in my personal experience VRAM just seems to run faster than DRAM?  Somebody
: please correct me if I an wrong.  But to my knowledge the fastest card for
: DOS video is the PCI Diamond Stealth 64 4 Megs VRAM (or 2 Meg VRAM, depending
: on the resolution and # of colors).  I have a P5-90 w/ S-64 2 Meg VRAM and it
: gets the highest DOS video scores I have seen using PC-BENCH v9.0 available
: from www.ziff.com, or their ftp site also.

Be careful on which Diamond cards you talk about. There are several types
of accelerators used for Stealth 64 cards. I din't have the infor before
me, but I know of 3 Stealth 64 cards. There is a regular 64 with 2MB Dram
with a 64 bit processor. Then there are two other 64 bit cards with a much
faster processor that come with 2MB or 4MB.

Don't forget about Number Nine's new 128 bit accelerator card. I know it
costs $899, but I'm pretty sure it's the fastest card around for PCs.

| 03CPE                    http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~hartmms            |
| Auburn University        Only 6 more quarters left to go !             |
|                                                                        |
|          Anyone looking for an innovative Computer Engineer? ;)        |

Fastest VGA VLB card...

Post by WEARN CHO » Tue, 04 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>Subject: Re: Fastest VGA VLB card...
>Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 21:26:35 GMT
>Don't forget about Number Nine's new 128 bit accelerator card. I know it
>costs $899, but I'm pretty sure it's the fastest card around for PCs.

Buzzz! The #9 Imagine 128 isn't the fastest card around anymore. Check out
the new Radius Firestorm 192 which uses 3 64-bit S3-864 chips (one each for
RGB). This card is it for Windows. DOS, I don't know but the S3-864 isn't
a shabby chip under DOS.

- John.

Fastest VGA VLB card...

Post by dkni.. » Wed, 05 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>>Subject: Re: Fastest VGA VLB card...
>>Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 21:26:35 GMT

>>Don't forget about Number Nine's new 128 bit accelerator card. I know it
>>costs $899, but I'm pretty sure it's the fastest card around for PCs.

>Buzzz! The #9 Imagine 128 isn't the fastest card around anymore. Check out
>the new Radius Firestorm 192 which uses 3 64-bit S3-864 chips (one each for
>RGB). This card is it for Windows. DOS, I don't know but the S3-864 isn't
>a shabby chip under DOS.

  Well the S3-864 chip is the one in the PCI/VLB Steath 64 from Diamond.  If
plan on using that card, or the Steath 64 for that matter with Unix/Xwindows
be prepared to search for drivers.  I finally found some from a company in
Florida and it cost me $99 for drivers for Linux.  I didn't buy them because
I am hoping that somebody here can tell me where to find some free drivers
for the S3-864 chip for X11?  If you have some please mail me.  I see
benchmarks for X11 here all the time with the Steath 64 listed in them and I
am wondering what drivers are being used and if they are free.  I read this
newsgroup constantly so any reply I will see.

--

     "If at first it doesn't succeed, debug it and then it will."